Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Market is a POS. Swings up 2% on 300k shares traded, then drops when volume falls off cliff and market falls. What a freaking disgrace. Will someone please just get rid of Greece and end this stupidity?

Anyone have a clue where Elon is/has been the past 2 weeks? I really hope him or Blankenship have something meaningful to say during earnings. Let's hope he's not devoting too much time to Space X. I'm off to sleep for the next 10 hours, so you won't hear any more from me until after earnings. The weather today is complete rubbish. No point in being awake. I'm sure you guys will be thrilled to not hear from me for a while :tongue:

Last edited:
This Market is a POS. Swings up 2% on 300k shares traded, then drops when volume falls off cliff and market falls. What a freaking disgrace. Will someone please just get rid of Greece and end this stupidity?

Anyone have a clue where Elon is/has been the past 2 weeks? I really hope him or Blankenship have something meaningful to say during earnings. Let's hope he's not devoting too much time to Space X. I'm off to sleep for the next 10 hours, so you won't hear any more from me until after earnings. The weather today is complete rubbish. No point in being awake. I'm sure you guys will be thrilled to not hear from me for a while :tongue:

I heard Elon is on vacation in Greece....

Ok this was not serious. but seriously do not blame Greece, the problems are elsewhere, but they show at the weakest ponts first

I strongly believe that 90+% of the Tesla stock woes these last 2 days has been due to its association with the VERY disappointing RAV4-EV announcement.

For twice the cost of the gas version you get all the range anxiety of a disappointing 100 mi limit – and yes, that does cause non-EV enthusiasts anxiety. You also get a slow (6 hour) 240 V charge time. The Model S single charger only takes half as long for the same range; double charger/HPC, 1hr 40min; Level 3 Supercharger, 20 min.

But wait, there's more... You also get slightly worse performance with the EV model. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!!

Either Toyota didn't get the memo about EV's needing to be more compelling than ICE vehicles or, more likely, this is just a strategy to delay encroachment on their ICE business.

Back to the Tesla stock price... The RAV4-EV announcement was everything the EV naysayers could ask for. If Tesla had not been so closely associated with it, I don't think we would have seen nearly so much of a sell-off.

Like many others, I'm hoping that today's Q1 Financial Results and Q&A call will help shore the stock price up a bit. I have some June call options coming up – sigh...

For the very first time I have bought TSLA! At 29.9
Yep, my 29.99 fired. That's the bulk of my money for the car in TSLA, so it's all up to the stock now as to whether or not I can actually buy the car come November-ish :) My theory is if the stock tanks then there's probably good reason not to get the car anyway (and I can live with my current car for a bunch of years if needed).

Elon is very busy with a big moment in SpaceX history but I don't think he's disregarding Tesla either. BTW, my favorite Warren Buffett Quote which I can't find but I believe was his quote was something like, I never made money buying at the bottom and selling at the top but instead playing the middle. Wish I could find that quote again, it is a principal I work on and it hasn't let me down.

I strongly believe that 90+% of the Tesla stock woes these last 2 days has been due to its association with the VERY disappointing RAV4-EV announcement.

Really? You think anyone was really surprised that it was merely a compliance product? To me that was obvious from the beginning.

I just think TSLA is a volatile stock, and any sudden market movements are hugely amplified.

Really? You think anyone was really surprised that it was merely a compliance product? To me that was obvious from the beginning.
It wasn't obvious to me and I follow Tesla. I thought it was disappointing given how often it's touted that Toyota is a partner with Tesla. If it's such a minor compliance thing, that's not worth touting much. If it's not a compliance thing, then the price and expected sales are disappointing.

No idea if the stock movement really has any correlation though.

I just think TSLA is a volatile stock, and any sudden market movements are hugely amplified.

I didn't think it was just a compliance car, I guess I had some blind faith that Toyota really was trying to be a greener and more responsible company since they are the first out with a Hybrid in the first place. Sadly you are right Doug, they wanted nothing more then a compliance product that will not sell and even worse, bring the EV market down further. I see this whole thing as a punch in the face from Toyota!

I didn't think it was just a compliance car, I guess I had some blind faith that Toyota really was trying to be a greener and more responsible company since they are the first out with a Hybrid in the first place. Sadly you are right Doug, they wanted nothing more then a compliance product that will not sell and even worse, bring the EV market down further. I see this whole thing as a punch in the face from Toyota!

With how fast they threw this thing together, I wasn't surprised at all. This is a stop-gap measure. I'm sure there is something much more serious in the pipeline.

Welcome the real world! The stock market is not some idealized, predictable system like planets circling the sun and following Newton's laws. The market does NOT make sense and is NOT predictable. As for Greece, it's part of the same real world. Its woes are directly related to the credit crisis, which happened because mortgage sellers figured out a way to game the system and make a potload of money at the expense of the world's economy. Every decade or so, financial crooks figure out a way to do that. Always have, always will. It's part of the real world.

In the stock market you've basically got two choices: Buy a company you believe is solid and hold it for 30 years, or speculate on the short term, as you are doing, and get about the same odds you'd get on the craps table in Las Vegas.

You seem to think that the stock market owes you a profit, and you blame "manipulation" when you don't strike it rich over night. Well, pal, the market owes nobody anything, and it's all about manipulation, all the time, every stock. Companies try to manipulate their stock upwards. Investors try to manipulate the stock up or down, whichever way they think they can make a few pennies on the trade.

Your expectations are so completely unrealistic that we all just feel sorry for you. The best thing you could do is stop looking at the prices for the next ten years. Sit on your stocks, live your life, and in a decade if Tesla is successful you'll have a comfortable profit. Not 200, but maybe 50 or 60 in inflation-adjusted terms. And if you can't stop looking at the prices, and you can't laugh at the wild fluctuations that are inevitable for a company this new in a market this volatile, then the next best thing to do is get out of the market.

I'm just trying to help you avoid giving yourself a stroke before the age of 20. The stock market is deadly to people who are so easily upset.

Anyone have a clue where Elon is/has been the past 2 weeks? I really hope him or Blankenship have something meaningful to say during earnings. Let's hope he's not devoting too much time to Space X.
Space X is his principal interest. That's where his heart is. Don't invest in a company if you cannot accept the managers for who they are. Elon was running Space X and Space X was his bigger interest, long before you bought your shares of Tesla, so you've go no right or grounds to complain about how he spends his time.

Personally, I feel like you on this: I'd like to see him giving more time to Tesla and less to Space X. But I bought my shares of TSLA knowing who Elon is and where his interest lies. I have the right to buy shares, the right to sell my shares, the right to not buy any shares. I don't have, and you don't have, the right to tell Elon how he should divide his time.

(And as has been mentioned, Space X may provide resources that make Tesla even more successful in the long term. And the long term is the only place that investing in the market makes any sense at all.)

Just trying to help you out here, Cali. There's no free lunch and the stock market is not, and was never supposed to be, a place where you make money without risk.

I don't think the RAV4EV will hurt EV acceptance over all. Sure, it's disappointing that Toyota is not getting into EVs in a big way. But enough other companies are that if Toyota chooses to become irrelevant it will hurt nobody but themselves. The partnership still helps Tesla because it gives them some added street cred. Not to mention a little bit of cash flow and the NUMI factory, which was critically important.

It's very predictable that Toyota would limit themselves to dipping a toe into electric vehicles at this time. CARB 2012-2014 rules are just kicking in.

Zero-Emission Vehicle Regulations Get Tougher for 2012 - Feature - Car and Driver

Toyota is smart to study exactly what's successful and to partner with Tesla for a limited trial of the technology. It's a test. If it was my company and I wasn't into innovating at the moment, I'd do exactly what Toyota's doing... just enough to meet the rules and not a bit more. And taking a wait-and-see approach.

Tesla, on the other hand, is completely dedicated to innovation. We all know that's risky as hell. If Tesla can prove it has a stable, popular, safe product, it will be the go-to company for electric drive trains.

I don't think the RAV4EV will hurt EV acceptance over all. Sure, it's disappointing that Toyota is not getting into EVs in a big way. But enough other companies are that if Toyota chooses to become irrelevant it will hurt nobody but themselves. The partnership still helps Tesla because it gives them some added street cred. Not to mention a little bit of cash flow and the NUMI factory, which was critically important.

I can only hope you are right because my feeling is that those who look to kill the EV market again will use this as another example of how the EV is a futile effort and the fact that Tesla is the driving force behind the Toyota Rav4 EV makes it directly responsible when the fingers are pointed at the disappointing offering that Toyota has presented. When it fails (and I really mean when and not if), this will be a huge blemish and although we all can argue it's not Tesla's fault, that isn't how it will be presented publicly. We are all small single celled organism voicing the facts and trying to plead a case we should win to a very loud and powerful air horn which is current automotive and oil industries.

IMHO, releasing a crap product that nobody can justify purchasing in a small market to begin with just to get by state regulations isn't helping the cause, it will do the opposite.

People, do not forget Toyota SELL's the RAV4 EV! No leasing or fleets only! (unlike others)
Do not forget Tesla first also only planned 2000 cars I think, to plan 500 more once it got running! If Lotus where still producing gliders, they would still be selling lots more (and airbag-regulation permited)
So Toyota can be conservatively planning 2500 cars, but if they can sell more with profit why wouldn't they?

Toyota has a big advantage! They have already the people who are used to own an EV! People with EV experience! I can understand some will like to stay with the brand! So I am certain they will sell more RAV4 EV's as they thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.