Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty baffled by the stock being back down to where it was a year ago. I'd have thought Tesla would be seen as more valuable now a month before release than it was back then before they even had a factory.

Back to TSLA - anyone still have any powder left?

Anyone still buying in the mid $28's, or are people waiting to see where the bottom is?

I have very little left. I almost never get down to the last of my cash. I considered pulling the trigger at $28.30 today, but faltered and missed it. Trying to decide if we are really going to fall more or not. At these levels we are back to where they did their secondary. Seems pretty ridiculous to me, but the thought of being 100% invested right now is a bit unnerving.

I was going to buy more if it goes down but I like my 333 shares I have now and don't want to mess with the #. Maybe next week before it shoots back up:rolleyes:
I did start to transfer some mutual fund $ (share price is at the highest in 10 yrs..not the worst time to do it) in case T sla gets any better/worse
My plan was only to have 150 or so and keep a minimum of 100 for a long time now I just keep getting more since I think it will be solid once more people actually know about Tesla for real.

I still talk to LOTS of people who have no clue about Tesla, some who ask if it is the band and others who say 'oh yea, they made like a little sports car or something, what ever happened to them?'

Then I spoke to a random guy at a 'cheap bulk food' place and of all people he seemed like he wouldn't know about Tesla, but the did! He was so exited for me and gave me a high five. He said ' electronics... hehe... do you know what the gov't is doing nowadays?. just think about now short of a time we've had some of this tech and how fast the wireless and other electronics stuff is advancing. Tesla is going to be the future. Do you have any stock? ( I said yes and smiled, then he just grinned bigger) You don't even know what is in store.. lectronics are the way of the future.' He mentioned something about doing electrical inspection for something in NY but I don't know what his background was besides that he was a motocross rider (conversation started because I had my T jacket on and he thought it was a riding jacket) he might have been a contractor and he was driving a little 4 door metro or something similar

That makes me want to buy more stock!

Anyone still buying in the mid $28's, or are people waiting to see where the bottom is?
Nope, I've got all of the $50k set aside for the car dumped in at this point. About 2/3rd at $28 and 1/3rd at $30. I wish I had more, but I'm already at a pretty short term outlook as far as when I'd need to pull it back out to pay for the car near November.

Well, there's the possibility I'd take a 2.75% loan rather than pull the cash, but that's more risk than I'm willing to take. Doing that would leave me at serious risk if Tesla crashed and burned...it'd kill my savings and I'd have heavy debt in a car that has no manufacturer. As it stands now, if Tesla crashes before I buy then I'm just out the cash ( I'd just not get a new car at all), if they crash after then I've got a car that's largely paid for.

The only way I see myself taking a loan is as a short term bridge to hit the 1-year capital gains in January on my $28 position.

I spent the last of my brokerage account cash at $29.00. But every time I see the stock go lower, I just want to buy a little more. Also, some of the call options are also looking very attractive at this point. I'm seriously thinking about putting another $20,000 cash into my trading account.

In the long term, I am pretty confident that Tesla is going to do well. They have the best EV technology by far and a true genius CEO. Elon Musk understands his company's technology much, much better than any of his executive peers. Plus, he understands the finance. That's a great combination.

Tesla announces that the Model S is going to be delivered a month early, it will almost certainly be the safest sedan on the market, and the company is going to start paying back the DOE loan by the end of the year -- then the stock price drops! I'm seeing this as a very unexpected opportunity.

When the Model S comes out and we start seeing some reviews and the IIHS ratings, I suspect the stock may rebound shortly. If not then, when Tesla is producing the cars at volume @ a 25+% margin, it would be hard to imagine a stock price still in the upper $20's. In fact, if there is a really good rebound, it would make sense for Daimler to want to try acquire Tesla before they get too expensive. That could really drive up our stock.

I'm in it for the long term & Tesla hasn't given me any news to worry about yet.

No powder left and alarm bells ringing that the 6-months-worth savings account (out of which the downpayment for the Model S would be coming) needs to be shored up!

Got in at $34 and again at just under $30 and am happy to ride this out.

Go Facebook! (Dreading the morning commute tomorrow with all the TV trucks lined up on their HQ campus off Hwy 84)

Moderator Note:

Please refrain from discussing Apple, Greece, and overthrowing governments in this thread, unless the point is DIRECTLY related to investing in TSLA.

Discussions about how the general economy affects TSLA is okay, but we're getting pretty far off topic and I'd like to keep this thread reasonably under control.

The off-topic items have been moved to Iamthecaliflower in the Off Topic forum.

Last edited:
I was kinda hoping the news of Saturday's launch would have a positive effect on tsla. Probably too much to hope.

Until the Dragon has flown, has docked to the ISS, and has safely returned to earth, expect nothing but a downside for TSLA. The news of the launch is a double edged sword. If all goes well, Elon, and my extension TSLA, look great. If the falcon 9 blows up on the pad, or fails to reach orbit, or does not berth to the IIS, or burns up on re-entry (or any of the other 1,000,000 things that could go wrong on this flight) Elon looks like he does not know what he is doing, and TSLA in return looks like a bad investment. When the dragon is safely aboard the recovery ship, and President Obama is calling Elon to congratulate him, then we can expect a positive effect on the price of TSLA.

Got in at $34 and again at just under $30 and am happy to ride this out.

I had sold some May $33 Puts that I could have bought back for a profit last week, but I didn't see this dip coming (I expected some "buy on rumor, sell on news" resistance, but not nearly this much). I rolled them to Sept $28s for no cost rather than take shares at $31 (my net cost).

I wish I were smart enough to understand the dynamics here. I'd have thought confidence in the ship date - shown by bringing it up a month - would scare the shorts. Instead, it seems to have emboldened them. Almost as if having the cars sooner means they'll be in even worse shape than many expect.

I'm still thinking this is the firesale we've been hoping for, and don't see how it isn't easily a $40 stock when Model S's are on the road. But, I've been wrong on stocks before and it's certainly not behaving as I expect, so I could be really wrong here as well.

Last edited:
I was kinda hoping the news of Saturday's launch would have a positive effect on tsla. Probably too much to hope.
I suspect any impact from SpaceX is going to be incredibly short lived regardless of what happens. The companies have nothing in common besides Elon and any success or failure by SpaceX has no tangible impact on Tesla.

Took 100 @28.75. :biggrin: I like a good price but not looking forward to it going too far south. Looks like most of the market just dragged us along with it. It is a buy opportunity that is for sure. In a year or two I'll be kicking myself for not selling the house and buying more stock :scared:

I sure hope you're right. I made the mistake yesterday of setting a$29 limit. That's why it's still going down today. OTOH, Nasdaq itself is down about 2% today, so TSLA is right with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.