Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this is anything like what Elon has in mind for the upcoming announcement

Solar powered electric car charging from Princeton Satellite Systems
Solar powered electric car charging from Princeton Satellite Systems

I would be surprised if there were any similarities between the photo with 240 volt AC charging at 3.3 to 6.6 kW and what Elon has in mind other than the use of PV arrays and battery storage for charging. I'm guessing that an application with a 90 kW DC Supercharger would require at least an order of magnitude greater surface area of PVs. So Tesla might require a partner with a nationwide presense having structures with very large roofs, large grid connections, and positioned nearby major highways.

Larry

I would be surprised if there were any similarities between the photo with 240 volt AC charging at 3.3 to 6.6 kW and what Elon has in mind other than the use of PV arrays and battery storage for charging. I'm guessing that an application with a 90 kW DC Supercharger would require at least an order of magnitude greater surface area of PVs. So Tesla might require a partner with a nationwide presense having structures with very large roofs, large grid connections, and positioned nearby major highways.

Larry

Gas stations maybe? :scared:

hmmm... wouldn't that carry the ironic day

Something like this?

BP Snellader.jpg

Of the 20 some fast chargers in the Netherlands I'd guess about 7 or 8 are at gas stations.

I don't see any logic in having supercharging tied to solar. PVs add hugely to the cost of each station, limit where they can be located, complicated zoning, and add to operating costs. If the supercharger is not grid-tied, then that's a clear signal to the market that the superchargers aren't going to be used very often, i.e. Tesla isn't really going to sell many cars.

I don't see any logic in having supercharging tied to solar. PVs add hugely to the cost of each station, limit where they can be located, complicated zoning, and add to operating costs. If the supercharger is not grid-tied, then that's a clear signal to the market that the superchargers aren't going to be used very often, i.e. Tesla isn't really going to sell many cars.

Hi Robert,

All true, but don't you ascribe any advantages to demand charge mitigation and "free" energy?

Larry

All true, but don't you ascribe any advantages to demand charge mitigation and "free" energy?
The demand charge mitigation comes from having batteries -- and that may be sensible but is independent of solar.

PV is among the most expensive sources for energy; it's "free" only if one ignores the capital cost. (I'm comparing the wholesale price of energy, not the delivered cost.)

My point is really more basic: Tesla needs to manage this secondary business in as streamlined a way as possible. The more complex, the more manhours and money it will take -- and Tesla doesn't have either to divert unnecessarily.

I say you are all speculating, no one knows for sure, yet. It's probably going to be one of the big box stores, and Walmart wouldn't be a surprise at this point, with the 80 stores in CA about to put massive PV arrays on, along with storage batteries. Walmart's focus is being greener, and providing emergency backup power. It would not be a stretch to see them install the SuperChargers either, given the connections with SolarCity/Tesla to the project.

The demand charge mitigation comes from having batteries -- and that may be sensible but is independent of solar.

PV is among the most expensive sources for energy; it's "free" only if one ignores the capital cost. (I'm comparing the wholesale price of energy, not the delivered cost.)

My point is really more basic: Tesla needs to manage this secondary business in as streamlined a way as possible. The more complex, the more manhours and money it will take -- and Tesla doesn't have either to divert unnecessarily.

Don't necessarily disagree with some of your points; although Elon has made verbal connection between the charging stations and solar (generally, not specific though)

So without solar you would envision a grid connection to slowly charge the batteries perhaps off peak and discharged them quickly on demand during the day? This hopefully would mitigate demand charges without PV arrays if the usage was low. If usage was high and the batteries were discharged, then Tesla would be charged the full impact of demand charges. (The same would be true of a PV powered battery of course.)

Can you please elaborate as to why compare to wholesale? Why wouldn't the delivered cost be relevant, isn't that what Tesla would be paying?

Thanks.

Larry

So without solar you would envision a grid connection to slowly charge the batteries perhaps off peak and discharged them quickly on demand during the day? This hopefully would mitigate demand charges without PV arrays if the usage was low. If usage was high and the batteries were discharged, then Tesla would be charged the full impact of demand charges. (The same would be true of a PV powered battery of course.)
Yep, that was my thinking.
Can you please elaborate as to why compare to wholesale? Why wouldn't the delivered cost be relevant, isn't that what Tesla would be paying
Because there is no economic reason to allow net metering in this way. It's a retail tariff design flaw: installing PV doesn't change the cost to the utility of installing or maintaining distribution or transmission, and consequently there's no reason to discount the wires charges through net metering.

That's the rational answer. The answer from the rates perspective is that large C&I customers like Walmart typically pay their wires charges as a fixed sum based on the kW rating of their gear and the peak energy usage. Their energy price is pretty close to the wholesale energy price. So, net metering for a big box store isn't nearly as valuable as net metering for residential customers.

IF the market sees this a parts supplier problem and delays are less than a month, an optimist would assume there won't be too much TSLA price impact. If delays are over a month, price will take a dive as investors will see Tesla as a one trick pony and a long delay could have a major revenue impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.