Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone remind me what gross margin for bare bone 35K model?

Also looks like there are many who really want the 35K base (just battery EV), no extras/ no frills .. so at what volume 7K/week -10k/wk would it make sense for going after the 35K market.

Just a thought, the 35K could come in 2 flavors.
i. 35K with no extra features ... remove the cameras, etc and just give low end market what they want
ii. 35K+ with camera etc, but all features turned off with option to upgrade in future ...

Also one thing no one is talking about .. but I think when the Tesla killer does really arrive in volume, TSLA could unleash the 35K in mass volume (this is the reverse of scenario JP Morgan describes ...)

week end OT .. have at it ...
I believe he said in a later update 36% as tested and around 18% for the base car.

Dan

No way they make a model 3 without cameras. They provide a huge advantage to Tesla even if they aren't turned on by the customer.

Tesla will start making the 35k version as soon as they don't have a backlog of old reservations that want a higher config vehicle. They still are making cars for line waiters that want P or D.

I'm guessing 10% margin on 35k base model.

with enough vehicles on the road .. what kind of advantage do cameras that customer never plans to use and doesn't want to pay for .. give tesla? (cameras just example, and even 8 cameras are cheap these days, but may be the circuit boards etc can also be minimized) and save production cost and increase gross margin ...

with enough vehicles on the road .. what kind of advantage do cameras that customer never plans to use and doesn't want to pay for .. give tesla? (cameras just example, and even 8 cameras are cheap these days, but may be the circuit boards etc can also be minimized) and save production cost and increase gross margin ...

AEB is going to be a required feature, which means you need at least one camera and all the computing power to support it. At that point they might as well just include all of the cameras.

Can someone remind me what gross margin for bare bone 35K model?

Munro estimates 18% gross margin on the 35K model. Tesla hasn’t broken out their target GM for the bare bones model, but it seems safe to assume it’s more than 10%.

When they start producing the SR version in volume, they should be able to ship high-end versions to Europe & Asia at the same time, so even then their overall GM should still be strong.

There's no way the total package of computer/radar/cameras/sensors costs Tesla more than $1K. At any time during the life of the car these can these can produce revenue; as much as ten times their cost.

That's just the first sale. Tesla may sell it as a CPO with EAP the second time...

Resale. Bought as a used car, the buyer could purchase the software which would be pure profit for Tesla.

Mongo beat me to it. The *******!

There's no way the total package of computer/radar/cameras/sensors costs Tesla more than $1K. At any time during the life of the car these can these can produce revenue; as much as ten times their cost.

thanks this is really good to know - knew electronics these days was cheap, but it everything is under 1K, then ya definitely not worth trying to redesign to save costs.

based on the replies, I think it is safe to say that margin even for Standard 35K will be atleast 10%.
So watch out Tesla killers, this is the price point you'll need to deal with ...

Nearly everyone trades electronically, so the difference between an HFT and any given participant is trading frequency as the name suggests. We make fractions of a tick many many times a day using statistical forecasting. This algorithm can’t be abused to manipulate because it contains no abusive action. The distinction between participants is nuanced and that is why it is difficult to distinguish for the lay person.

Manipulative actions themselves generally have negative expected value but money can be recouped in correlated markets or with hidden liquidity. Spoofers hide orders on the ask then send huge quotes to the bid, once filled they then reverse. Funnily enough, HFTs are generally the victims of such manuevers and complain to authorities. Occasionally the manipulators spoofed orders do get filled and they take huge losses. Spoofing generally happens during quiet periods during the day for this reason. Manipulation can not be done as frequently as one pleases, there is significant risk.

Manual traders taking manipulative actions will often have software that initiates their ploy. Using software to trade quickly does not make one a HFT.
i disagreed with first post because the book did have some accuracy as far as the points on the need for speed - which you ended up eluding to in your second post anyway, and which @Skryll mentioned as well. i know network engineers that related intimately with certain parts of the book.

im sure we’d agree not every trader is the same as not every HFT is the same as MM etc etc.
but i also i agree with you for the most part that hfts have been spun in a negtive light. i imagine its bc you helped put a lot of market makers out of business, and they didn’t go down quietly. their argument was hfts aren’t subject to same regulations as MMs, but they reap all the benefits, mainly bc they must continuously quote while hfts can walk away in bad conditions while MMs get hammered. in some ways i guess MMs can be considered the original form of high frq trading. i have no opinion on this, regardless, just saying what i’ve read and seen.

but my question is if someone can manipulate a market manually, then why couldn’t they do same with high frequency algos as well? based upon the speed and efficiency argument, that would imply they would be able to generate even more impact, or at least do it much more efficiently.
while your shop may not do the negative things that been associated with hft’s in the press, it’s def possible that some can/do.

i looked up the igor thing...
ahh they were spoofing and got caught
thanks for tip!

.. what kind of advantage do cameras that customer never plans to use and doesn't want to pay for .. give tesla?

At some point in the life cycle of a base Model 3 someone will buy it, pay to have FSD turned on, and place it into service on the Tesla Network.

Even if FSD only works geofenced in major cities in first world countries in decent weather.

Once the car reaches the $20k, $15k, or $10k price point.

If no one else then Tesla themselves will buy those base Model 3s and put them into Tesla Network service.

Nearly everyone trades electronically, so the difference between an HFT and any given participant is trading frequency as the name suggests. We make fractions of a tick many many times a day using statistical forecasting. This algorithm can’t be abused to manipulate because it contains no abusive action. The distinction between participants is nuanced and that is why it is difficult to distinguish for the lay person.

Manipulative actions themselves generally have negative expected value but money can be recouped in correlated markets or with hidden liquidity. Spoofers hide orders on the ask then send huge quotes to the bid, once filled they then reverse. Funnily enough, HFTs are generally the victims of such manuevers and complain to authorities. Occasionally the manipulators spoofed orders do get filled and they take huge losses. Spoofing generally happens during quiet periods during the day for this reason. Manipulation can not be done as frequently as one pleases, there is significant risk.

Manual traders taking manipulative actions will often have software that initiates their ploy. Using software to trade quickly does not make one a HFT.

Some HFT front run, that's well known.

The marginal liquidity gains are far outwieghed by the intellectual loss applied to this generally zero-sum persuit inlieu of using their brains on someesome with more societal worth.

Munro estimates 18% gross margin on the 35K model. Tesla hasn’t broken out their target GM for the bare bones model, but it seems safe to assume it’s more than 10%.

So I'm short, but please, please, please consider what Munro says.

Munro is a report on variable costs: suppliers + labor.

It is NOT a report on "gross margin" (which includes overhead, logistics costs, and inventory costs).

Some HFT front run, that's well known.

The marginal liquidity gains are far outwieghed by the intellectual loss applied to this generally zero-sum persuit inlieu of using their brains on someesome with more societal worth.
HFTs do not front run. Front running is illegal and we have no clients or insider information. To make your claim without evidence is rather libelous.

The marginal liquidity gains created by electronic secondary markets, of which HFT now consists of roughly fifty percent has reduced bid ask spreads tremendously. As a thought experiment consider that in the early 2000’s bid ask spreads for very liquid securities would often be more than 1 cent wide. If HFTs reduced the bid ask spread by 1/2 cent, the minimum possible, you could literally multiply that across all electronic volume across the world, and be able to compute the total amount of money saved by investors in transaction costs. What would you guess that number to be? I don’t know myself but it is clearly enormous.

A smart investor will always listen to and consider all points of view, especially those he disagrees with. Confirmation bias can be very dangerous.

You're so right. I'm now enlightened, I'm going to take Brinkmans advice, sell TSLA and buy GM and Ford. You can find me over at the GM motors club site if you need me.

You're so right. I'm now enlightened, I'm going to take Brinkmans advice, sell TSLA and buy GM and Ford. You can find me over at the GM motors club site if you need me.

I already took Brinkman’s advice when he offered it in April. I took the shares I bought that day & sold them. In June. When the SP had gone up $70. I suppose I’ll do the same with the shares I bought today.

Status
Not open for further replies.