Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best bit is, you can read them all again - they're even better the 2nd time around :cool:
read "Consider Phlebas" and "Matter" 2x,
"Player of Games", "Use of Weapons" Against a dark background, Look to Windward, Hydrogen Sonata all once
(There was an homage in "7 Eves" to the ships names with Musk saving the ISS sorta)
it's the weekend anyhoo.

l

...and because it’s the weekend, and I can sneak this post past any Mods...

I’ve been trying to accumulate Banks’s series for several years, stalking some of the very largest used book sales this world offers.

So far, my attempts have amassed a grand total of **ZERO** books. A stalwart devotee of Banks has told me there is precious little turnover of extant copies.

Any help would be appreciated!

I’ve been trying to accumulate Banks’s series for several years, stalking some of the very largest used book sales this world offers.

So far, my attempts have amassed a grand total of **ZERO** books. A stalwart devotee of Banks has told me there is precious little turnover of extant copies.

Order of Iain M. Banks Books - OrderOfBooks.com
these seem to be available at Amazon - new and used
Am I missing something here?

What this also does is monetizes Panasonic’s investment upfront. So Tesla assumes the risks and reaps the rewards. You’ve made a similar argument about Tesla’s obligations to buy billions in cells which will bankrupt them as soon as everyone stops buying Tesla cars.
All of your assumptions lead to tslaq and if Tesla keeps making and selling awesome best in class cars, I just don’t see any chance of that happening.

Tesla clearly states in the documents I linked that Tesla pays Panasonic back by buying cells. I have no idea what you are reading.

Tesla derisked Panasonic at no additional risk to Tesla. You don't understand the basics of how Tesla and Panasonic structured their battery deal, so you assume I'm criticizing Tesla.

here is a hard to find link, written by Iain M Banks hisself me thinks
A Few Notes on the Culture, by Iain M Banks

Tesla clearly states in the documents I linked that Tesla pays Panasonic back by buying cells. I have no idea what you are reading.

Tesla derisked Panasonic at no additional risk to Tesla. You don't understand the basics of how Tesla and Panasonic structured their battery deal, so you assume I'm criticizing Tesla.

"Under our arrangement with Panasonic, we plan to purchase the full output from their production equipment at negotiated prices. As these terms convey to us the right to use, as defined in ASC 840, Leases, their production equipment, we consider them to be leased assets when production commences. This results in us recording the cost of their production equipment within property, plant and equipment, net, on the consolidated balance sheets with a corresponding liability recorded to financing obligations. For all suppliers and partners for which we plan to purchase the full output from their production equipment located at Gigafactory 1, we have applied similar accounting. As of March 31, 2018 and December 31, 2017, we had cumulatively capitalized costs of $576.4 million and $473.3 million, respectively, on the consolidated balance sheets in relation to the production equipment under our Panasonic arrangement"

Tesla doesn't make GWhs. Tesla's tenant makes GWhs. But I'm sure Tesla is an impressive landlord.

Do you really not get why Panasonic is a tenant in the gigafactory? Its because of the rights Panasonic would retain in a Tesla bankrupcy. Panasonic has no interest in a Tesla partnership because they don't want to go down with Tesla. A new owner of the gigafactory would inherent the Panasonic lease obligation. Panasonic derisks their Tesla agreement by retaining the ability to continue to produce battery if Tesla dies.

Tesla owns the land and building and leases to Panasonic. Any other arrangement would be insane from Panasonic's perspective.

Yeah, a billion dollars that is collateralized.

Do you understand a secured position?

You really don't deserve a reply. But try to concentrate on some basic business concepts and terms.

Panasonic would have a net loss of probably hundreds of millions in a Tesla bankruptcy. Without securing their investment as an ongoing battery operation in Sparks without Tesla that loss would be much higher. This should be obvious.

Panasonic has secured an ongoing battery operation in Sparks by being a tenant that uses equipment that is a capital lease on Tesla's balance sheet. In a Tesla default Panasonic returns that equipment to their balance sheet and tries to find new customers.

Panasonic's investment in Tesla is the equipment showing as a capital lease. Equipment they get back in default. This is a secured position. Before the bondholders. Before shareholders.

I'm making perfectly clear points to anyone who has been to business school or has equivalent work experience in accounting and finance. This is basic stuff. If you don't understand my point it is due to your lack of knowledge.

Tesla reported the capital lease for Panasonic's equipment in their form 10-K for 2015.

Panasonic has agreed to partner with us on the Gigafactory with investments in production equipment that it will use to manufacture and supply us with battery cells. Under our arrangement with Panasonic, we plan to purchase the full output from their production equipment at negotiated prices. As these terms convey a right to use the production related assets as defined within ASC 840 – Leases, we will consider these leased assets beginning with the start of cell production in 2016.

What this does, effectively, is put Panasonic in front of non-secured lenders for claims on the machinery that makes battery cells. It's an investment because a capital lease is recorded as an asset.

Partnership is with a small "p". The gigafactory would be a separate corporation if it was co-owned by Tesla and Panasonic. I doubt corporations can even register a Limited Partnership in Nevada. AFAIK those only apply to individuals.

You started by saying that Tesla doesn't make GWhs. That was your first argument.

You then moved to say that Panasonic and Tesla are no partner because Panasonic's upfront cost of bringing manufacturing equipment was collateralized by Tesla's agreement of buying the output cells of the said equipment.

You then quoted a 10-K that explicitly says that Tesla and Panasonic ARE partner.

SO, just to be clear ; I do and I'm sure others too, understand that Panasonic and Tesla BOTH invested in production of battery packs. They shared IP, Tesla is paying fro the building and packaging of cells into packs while Panasonic paid upfront the manufacturing equipment for cell in exchange of a contract that has Tesla buying the whole production.

So the only thing I see from you is not pertinent information. What you do is that you say something false and then move on to another subject without responding to your first refuted argument. And all along that telling insanity like :
-You really don't deserve a reply.
-I'm making perfectly clear points to anyone who has been to business school or has equivalent work experience in accounting and finance.
-If you don't understand my point it is due to your lack of knowledge.
-You don't understand the basics of how Tesla and Panasonic structured their battery deal, so you assume I'm criticizing Tesla

On those last four points of yours, I would just add that NOBODY replied to you talking about something else than a PARTNERSHIP. As you may know (which i'm not sure at this point), partnership is different than association or joint venture for co-owning a factory.

You started by saying that Tesla doesn't make GWhs. That was your first argument.

You then moved to say that Panasonic and Tesla are no partner because Panasonic's upfront cost of bringing manufacturing equipment was collateralized by Tesla's agreement of buying the output cells of the said equipment.

You then quoted a 10-K that explicitly says that Tesla and Panasonic ARE partner.

SO, just to be clear ; I do and I'm sure others too, understand that Panasonic and Tesla BOTH invested in production of battery packs. They shared IP, Tesla is paying fro the building and packaging of cells into packs while Panasonic paid upfront the manufacturing equipment for cell in exchange of a contract that has Tesla buying the whole production.

So the only thing I see from you is not pertinent information. What you do is that you say something false and then move on to another subject without responding to your first refuted argument. And all along that telling insanity like :
-You really don't deserve a reply.
-I'm making perfectly clear points to anyone who has been to business school or has equivalent work experience in accounting and finance.
-If you don't understand my point it is due to your lack of knowledge.
-You don't understand the basics of how Tesla and Panasonic structured their battery deal, so you assume I'm criticizing Tesla

On those last four points of yours, I would just add that NOBODY replied to you talking about something else than a PARTNERSHIP. As you may know (which i'm not sure at this point), partnership is different than association or joint venture for co-owning a factory.

You must be exhausted. Do you have anything meaningful to say about Tesla? Cartoon Tesla is boring, whether from the many naively positive comments here or the absurdly negative comments on Seeking Alpha.

I posted links to documents filed by Tesla that supported my position. What you got? Anything other than High School level posturing?

You must be exhausted. Do you have anything meaningful to say about Tesla? Cartoon Tesla is boring, whether from the many naively positive comments here or the absurdly negative comments on Seeking Alpha.

I posted links to documents filed by Tesla that supported my position. What you got? Anything other than High School level posturing?
Your premise was that Panasonic is not a partner and seemed to imply their work with Tesla was an elaborate plot to cease Tesla’s assets in bankruptcy. Then after moving on through several iterations of your argument, it morphs into a debate about my ignorance, when you replied to Brian’s reply that included the lease and partnership agreement. They are partners. Tesla is obligated via a lease agreement to assure Panasonic an assured return on their investment.
While I do have a masters in finance, I have not poured through the books in detail like you or certainly Brian. I’m optimistic about Tesla and biased. I think their debt levels are high when looking at trailing revenue and always have been, but are modest when looking at forward revenue. Lease and purchase agreements are obligations, even if they don’t show up as debt. That said, agreements like this are likely subject to adjustments and Panasonic may be one of the ten suppliers negotiating claw backs. Assuming Panasonic systems were part of the bottleneck, the lease agreement would likely be more flexible than a debt instrument.

You’ve raised a lot of good issues and concerns over time, you’re welcome to the last word. Hopefully something better than an ironic “what you got...high school posturing”, which is pretty high school. I know you’re better than that.

Attachments

• 86EE8430-41A7-4575-9CB2-5A765EDC5D3D.jpeg
    86EE8430-41A7-4575-9CB2-5A765EDC5D3D.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 44
I hope I didn’t ground the Shorty Air Force permanently.

S Padival on Twitter

Background: Shorts were ecstatic that they found a secret location where Tesla has stashed broken model 3s. They even flew a plane for a couple of days for some aerial reconnaissance. I just let it slide, but some media types started picking up on this “story”

tl;dr: Turns out TMC folks spotted the same site last year and it belongs to a car transport company called LNR services.

:rolleyes:

“what you got...high school posturing”, which is pretty high school. I know you’re better than that.

From the guy who edited his earlier post to remove his rudeness towards me because I hurt his feels with facts. I've edited none of my posts. Please link to anywhere on this forum where I initiated personal attacks against anyone.

Yes, sorry, you are too smart and I didn't get you. Could you explain again, please, what was it with the market action?

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I don't think any R&D will be postponed. Maybe slowed down a bit.
Well, that's sort of what I was saying. I think they're going to keep doing R&D but the parts which involve large physical prototype building (i.e. spending money beyond regular salary) will probably be postponed for a quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.