Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting idea, they need to make half a million to a million of these chips per year and if I’ve understood correctly the price to do so is similar to the current nVidia hardware - so basically a ten fold increase in processing power for the same price. If that does not requires a lot of exotic cooling that is a real breakthrough and other manufacturers/customers may line up for it - nVidia and Intel/mobileEye solutions won’t come cheap or as power efficient anytime soon. But it would only make sense if they license their AI software stack as well.
It seems like just yesterday that Munro was amazed at the quailty of the Nvidia based boards he found in the M3. I would love to see video of him looking at the new TPU.

Musk first says it's cell production and then corrects himself and says cell *supply chain*. While I think they can build new cell production lines pretty fast (and just throw capital at them)....

...the implication I took is that lining up the materials supply is harder. This is something Tesla has been working on for years and IIRC there are *three* global supply chain executives, so they're very serious. But are they going to have to find financing for their own mines? I'd think throwing capital at the problem would solve that.

One way to put it: Tesla can't grow faster with more capital right now, but is Musk going to change his mind about that in 9 months? Are they going to solve the organizational problems and realize that what they really need in mid-2019 is to finance a lithium mine and a cobalt mine, or something like that? We may see more stock issuances at that point.

Perhaps.
Yes, ultimately it is the whole supply chain that must be built out. There are bottlenecks all along the way. It think Musk is recognizing that being intimately involved in just about every step is critical to sustaining a high growth rate. This is all part of the experience or learning curve. At each higher scale everything becomes more difficult and finding efficiency is key. The way we typically talk about the experience curve is that as cumulative production doubles the cost per unit falls 10% to 20%. Thus, we often think of falling prices as a consequence of scale. But efficiency is really the driver of cost savings. So one could also think of the doubling of production as a consequence of efficiency gains all along the supply curve. So what Elon's team must focus on is how to get those efficiency gains as quickly as possible. This in turn will be key to doubling production at a quick clip, and it will drive down cost too. They are doing this too. Every time they iterate and figure out how to speed production, they are learning new efficiency, cutting costs, and driving up production. You can't just throw money at it, you actually need talent that can simplify and shorten the path.

7571E971-B1EC-4ECC-8FB4-B6FCCB56A2F0.png

People on r/wallstreetbets are losing their $&#% over the conference call and after hours price action.

A number of people got whacked real bad on puts... some bought on margin. I would post the link but the obscene and offensive language is not family friendly!

Let me summarize reddit bears with this photo posted above. They’re rolling in deep $h1t right now, hope he bought on margins and get wipped clean. Let this be a lesson for shorts/bears.

I've been long TSLA since its IPO and have been adding since (own a Model X too). I've also been lurking on this forum since its inception but never feel like I have anything more to contribute so I've never posted (but thank you to all the real contributors) until now.

I really liked the ER and conference call but one thing I just realized is that producing 50-55,000 Model 3s for Q3 it is still less than 5K production per week for the quarter. Best case scenario is 55K produced in 13 weeks is only 4,230 per week. I'm surprised this hasn't been posted anywhere yet that I have found, so I finally decided to post it to get everyones thoughts.

If they are aiming to hit 6K per week production by end of Aug then shouldn't the Q3 estimate be more? Even with 2 weeks of factory shutdown for upgrades that only averages 5K per week (55K produced / 11 weeks = 5K). My thoughts are they are really trying to sandbag the numbers (ie. "A win should feel like a win"), or they plan on shutting down production for an extended period of time during this quarter for factory upgrades, etc.

Am I missing something? What are your thoughts?

What I've heard is Tesla has grabbed a lot of design talent from Apple and Google.
What it has yielded is some stunningly strong board layout and integration, with housings, cooling, connectivity etc.
I think that much has been confirmed by the 3rd party, Model 3 teardowns.
They also got some pretty good UX talent and inherited a strong penchant for secrecy.
These sorts of things are why you locate in Silicon Valley instead of Michigan. Especially if you see yourself as building wheeled, autonomous, thinking machines.

I like to think that too, but when I looked at tesla job offerings, I found a lot of microsoft technology mentioned. Not instilling a lot of confidence honestly.

I believe all these investment banks and brokerage firms are playing the stock game. Selling Calls and Puts is so profitable and addicting. Many of them mistakenly went to the wrong side on TSLA (some have been on the wrong side for years, such as GS). Tesla is really difficult for the Wall Street manipulators to understand. They are looking for trouble.
Margin calls also increase their profits if they're on the opposite side of the call.

Reactions: neroden
I've been long TSLA since its IPO and have been adding since (own a Model X too). I've also been lurking on this forum since its inception but never feel like I have anything more to contribute so I've never posted (but thank you to all the real contributors) until now.

I really liked the ER and conference call but one thing I just realized is that producing 50-55,000 Model 3s for Q3 it is still less than 5K production per week for the quarter. Best case scenario is 55K produced in 13 weeks is only 4,230 per week. I'm surprised this hasn't been posted anywhere yet that I have found, so I finally decided to post it to get everyones thoughts.

If they are aiming to hit 6K per week production by end of Aug then shouldn't the Q3 estimate be more? Even with 2 weeks of factory shutdown for upgrades that only averages 5K per week (55K produced / 11 weeks = 5K). My thoughts are they are really trying to sandbag the numbers (ie. "A win should feel like a win"), or they plan on shutting down production for an extended period of time during this quarter for factory upgrades, etc.

Welcome to TMC!

IMHO it is a combination of the fact that the ramp to 6000 is not linear, because to change something in the lines to make them faster they first have to slow it down, so 6000 reached doesn´t mean above 5000 on average; and then some sandbagging hopefully.

Reactions: ZachShahan

I mentioned this right after the Q2 letter and got few "disagrees" as seems the usual case when you post something that's not super-positive on this forum :)
TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable
Yes, they will likely have downtime or otherwise quite a bit of iterating working out issues and these improvements do not happen very fast.
In the letter they said they sustained 5k few times in July, yet overall numbers are much lower, especially considering planned 6k at the end of Aug.

Re. 5k per week vs 50 - 55k:

Part of it is that they haven't been averaging under 5K through July. Elon said they did about 5K two of the weeks but probably 3500 - 4k the other weeks as they adjusted the line. So they're probably 5K cars behind averaging 5k/week at this point.

Also they probably have a day or two here and there of additional downtime. So 13 weeks x 5K is 65K cars, but they are perhaps 5K behind the pace and will lose another week spread out through the quarter (holidays, upgrades).

Plus the ramp to 6K is probably 1 or 2 weeks hitting 6K. Not a steady state 6K.

My LTS (large testacle strategy) is going to play out well

Trying to be humorously pedantic:
FTFY: LTS (Large Testis Strategy)
Testicle literally means “little testis.” The “-icle“ suffix indicates “diminutive.” Kind of insulting. Sort of means “mouse nuts” and should therefore be eschewed by Tesla Bulls.
More accurate designations:
One nut = testis
Two nuts = testes

A more “inclusive” financial concept is the LGS (Large Gonad Strategy), as it applies equally to testes and ovaries.

Appropriate for Market Action thread only insofar as it clarifies the now-popular LTS concept.

Let me summarize reddit bears with this photo posted above. They’re rolling in deep $h1t right now, hope he bought on margins and get wipped clean. Let this be a lesson for shorts/bears.

It's all fiction. You know, like every investment board that has that one guy that seems to make super dramatic trades with unbelievable back stories? Up by millions, then down, then up even more millions. Gets margin called, wiped out then one month later is back claiming to have bought thousands and thousands of shares, supposedly makes trades with sizes that would show up in the public books (but then don't). You know that guy (yes, this board has him too). Well, wallstreetbets is where all these guys get together.

Tesla Results: Pieces Moving into Place for Sustainable Story | Loup Ventures

• We are positive on the Tesla story given the company’s well-positioned product roadmap around EV, autonomy, solar, and storage.
  • Tesla shares are up ~9% after hours as the company made progress on key pieces to the long-term sustainability of the story.
  • The “run out of cash” concern still exists, but likely not for long, as it would be effectively ended if the company turns a profit in Sep-18 or Dec-18.
  • Musk was more measured on the call, improving investor confidence.
  • Model 3 production and profitability remain unchanged.
  • Demand for Model 3 likely to increase as more are available for test drives and are seen in the wild.
  • Shanghai factory debt financing points to continued investor support
  • One negative from the call: Musk suggested a 2020 total output of 750k-1M vehicles compared to his previous target of 1M.
Edit: I don't recall hearing about the $5B highlighted in bold?

"The ability of the company to raise debt or equity has been a concern. Tesla reiterated they will not need to raise money to fund operations and separately, outlined that they are closing in on $5B in local Chinese debt financing to build the Shanghai Gigafactory, effectively starting in 2019."

Last edited:
: I don't recall hearing about the $5B highlighted in bold?

"The ability of the company to raise debt or equity has been a concern. Tesla reiterated they will not need to raise money to fund operations and separately, outlined that they are closing in on $5B in local Chinese debt financing to build the Shanghai Gigafactory, effectively starting in 2019."
Yep that's a lie. He said $5B was GF1 and GF3 will be not more than 50% of that considering all the improvements they'll put right in. I.e. $2-2.5B.

On average Tesla stops production for 10 days in order to ramp. So there are only 10 production weeks per quarter, not 12. So if they produce 50k then it’s 5,000 a week, but if it’s 55k then it’s 5,500 per week. Given that July is under 5k, September’s burst of 6k will counter July. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.