Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f984647173c0921e1551436518d1be63.jpg

Firstly I didn’t ask you for anything. Secondly if you took the time to read my original post, all I’m stating is that Elon killed stock momentum to go private at a lower price. Pretty simple. But then again why would I expect a “motor mouth” to think before talking....
So you're just mad that the SP went up and then back down? You think that Elon Musk made this tweet to affect short term SP and to make it go down? I'm shaking my head at your point then. Perhaps some clarification is in order.

I just read that someone who knows corporate finance law and has done lots of M&As said that "secured" doesn't mean much in this context: verbal commitments count as "secured". That's just what it means.
I don't like this article, but there's an important quote in it:
Tesla still hasn't said where its secured financing is coming from — here's what that probably means
Musk said "secured", not "committed". I believe his funding is secured, not committed.
Don't forget that Musk also tweeted: "Investor support is confirmed. Only reason why this is not certain is that it’s contingent on a shareholder vote."
"Certain" is a strong word, and it means something. I don't think Elon could say this without having a written agreement with terms specifying $420. That would be dishonest. If it turns out all he has is a verbal understanding with someone, he will be crucified. And rightly so.

I did too, and bought few more puts at a discount too :) Thank you Elon!

The ignorance and hatred on this forum about short selling is astounding. I put the link out there, but the posters whose 90% posts are about shorts don't even browse it. Like ti or not, short selling is legal if done properly (just like buying shares) and short sellers are legit market participants.
Jim Chanos said it best: "Short selling is the best thing that is going on for this company right now" ( to be newsworthy).
Not sure anybody said shorting is illegal as you suggest. Repugnant, unsavory, immoral, unethical...that's a different conversation. ;)

Dan

Joe Terranova 30 sec ago on CNBC (transcript is paraphrased):

Today I bought $15k-worth Aug $365 calls. I believe there are questions about Musk's tweet veracity. He said "funding secured". He has 4 days to clarify it.

Q: Are you making a trade or a statement?

I'm making a statement. This can be resolved very easily in the Valley. His billionaire peers should be calling him right now to tell him "we support you in this, we're in". The market is now calling Musk's bluff. He has four days to file an 8-K. He has four days!

Q: Are you positioning yourself to join a class-action lawsuit?

Yes. I think he [Musk] is an untruthful individual.

I will admit no such thing. This is classic Elon and I love it. Best rollercoaster ride in the world. And anyone sitting on the board knew in advance what they signed up for; they have no excuse. I imagine they are all laughing, rolling their eyes, shaking their heads and drinking heavily.

I respectfully disagree. So far Tesla has handled this exactly how they typically handle communications with the outside world: poorly. I don't want a rollercoaster ride. I didn't invest in Tesla for entertainment, I invested to accelerate the world away from the internal combustion engine to more earth-friendly forms of transportation. I invested because I believe in the mission. I don't care if the board is drinking heavily. If you want to take on the massive, global problem of climate change and move the whole world over to electric transportation, something that the world is not inclined to do and has 100+ years of companies amassed to fight every step of the way, crappy/spotty/unreliable communication is not the way to go.

Yes, we all get it, Elon hates Wall Street, and who can blame him. But his investors aren't all Wall Street. I've been all-in on TSLA since 2012 and I'd like some clarity right about now.

I am among the many that have benefited from your insights!

If Larry Page says "Hey, I'd like to borrow some money against my Alphabet shares", the bank *does not ask him what he's going to use the money for*.

So, sure, technically big banks would be involved, but they wouldn't *know anything*.

It could actually be pretty straightforward. There's some confusion about the word "private". If the company stays "public" for SEC reporting purposes, but delists from all exchanges, eliminates options trading, and gets a right-of-first-refusal on all share sales, that pretty much accomplishes Musk's goals.

That's.... actually not that complicated. Entities which aren't allowed to hold unlisted stock would still have to sell, which is where the tender offer for $420/share comes in. Tender offers are also pretty simple...

Indeed, fancy legal advice will be needed. The usual M&A law firms wouldn't tell you if they were being consulted obviously -- lawyers are confidential!

Joe Terranova 30 sec ago on CNBC (transcript is paraphrased):

Today I bought $15k-worth Aug $365 calls. I believe there are questions about Musk's tweet veracity. He said "funding secured". He has 4 days to clarify it.

Q: Are you making a trade or a statement?

I'm making a statement. This can be resolved very easily in the Valley. His billionaire peers should be calling him right now to tell him "we support you in this, we're in". The market is now calling Musk's bluff. He has four days to file an 8-K. He has four days!

Q: Are you positioning yourself to join a class-action lawsuit?

Yes. I think he [Musk] is an untruthful individual.
I don't see the clip. Do you have a link?

Dan

Don't forget that Musk also tweeted: "Investor support is confirmed. Only reason why this is not certain is that it’s contingent on a shareholder vote."
"Certain" is a strong word, and it means something. I don't think Elon could say this without having a written agreement with terms specifying $420. That would be dishonest. If it turns out all he has is a verbal understanding with someone, he will be crucified. And rightly so.
Verbal contracts are binding in CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.