Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but once the shorts purchase the shares needed to cover, do you think they will roll into TSLAP? Cynically, maybe they do an about face and see it as the best chance to cover their losses ;), but that seems a little too ironic. In which case, the "investors" will need to pay them their $420 per share, adding back the $13B they spent to buy out the institutional shareholders.
This isn't how this works. When they buy back the shares they need to then give them back to whomever they borrowed them from. They don't end up with anything after that transaction unless they originally sold the shares they borrowed for more than they bought them back for.

Short sellers already sold the shares, they are buying back shares after the fact to cover the sale. After the completion of a short sale, they have no net shares.

If a short seller wanted to take the opposite position and go long, they first need to buy to cover their shares sold short and then actually buy shares after that.
Of course. Forgot they "borrowed" the shares in the first place. Which means...total needed is likely closer to the $12-13B figure - which makes it seem much more doable!

Reactions: Lessmog and wipster
But you are assuming retail investors and those institutions who cannot participate in a private company would be willing to sell their shares and lose out on future growth and earnings. I do not see that as a reality. By voting "no" they get to continue in the game.

The flip side is too many institutions vote to sell their shares fearing Tesla is just not viable at a value of $81 billion including debt. Rather than be holding shares if Tesla implodes, they will take their $420 and bail out now. What then?

I think Gene Munster's estimates that most retail investors will want to stay in and that 50% of institutional investors will stay in and the rest will sell are reasonable. Since retail investors are a relatively small percentage of the total even if he is off by a bit for retail investors it won't make much difference.

Either way, shorts will be forced to buy 34-35 million of those shares, which is pretty sweet. Genius you might even say.;)

I also believe shorts will do as much as they can to try to confuse the issue because at this point they are toast.

once a company has more than 2000 shareholders they need to go public

More precisely it's 2000 "shareholders of record." Which can be a lot less than the number of individuals who think of themselves as shareholders.

The JOBS Act in 2012 increased the threshold number of "record shareholders" of a class of equity securities that triggers registration and reporting requirements under Section 12(g) of the Exchange Act for companies with more than $10 million in assets from 500 to 2,000.

“Record holders” or “shareholders of record” of a company are those listed on its books and records. Many shareholders of publicly traded companies are not individually counted as record holders, because they may own their shares “in street name” through a broker. The broker would be listed as a single record holder of the issuer, even if many of the broker’s clients are beneficial owners of the issuer’s shares. Although the JOBS Act increases the record shareholder thresholds, it does not affect the distinction between record holders and beneficial owners who hold their shares “in street name.” In other words, the JOBS Act does not “look through” brokers and other record holders to the ultimate beneficial owners of shares for purposes of determining whether the threshold number of shareholders is reached.

No info that this is perfectly normal in this scenario. Short comments immediately latching on to imply that the board is tired of him and hence asking him to recuse himself.

Yes totally normal for the board to ask the controlling shareholder to recuse themselves while they consider. That is what happened in the Dell go private.

Where in the 8k requirements does it say that a presented offer needs to be disclosed?

Good question. The press will never even ask this pretty obviously relevant question, or even understand the fairly simple rule.

You already found that Item 1.01 of Form 8-K requires that, within four business days of entering into a material definitive agreement, a public company must disclose certain information concerning that agreement, such as the date of the agreement, the identities of the parties, and a brief description of its terms and conditions.

Another rule is that, subject to certain exceptions, Items 601(b)(2) and (b)(10) of Regulation S-K require that material plans of deals and material contracts not made in the ordinary course of business, respectively, be filed as exhibits to, among other things, registration statements (Reg S3) and periodic reports (10Qs).

In other words, there is no requirement (as far as I can tell -- not an expert on this, just a good google scholar) to file an 8k or otherwise disclose deals in the planning stages, in between your 10-Qs or when you are doing another regisrtation statement for an issuance. Musk probably made the KSA PIF wait to send him their funding commitment email, or phone call or whatever, until after the 10-Q.

hence nothing in the 10-Q, and no 8-k at this stage, and there doesn't need to be any disclosure until there is an agreement, or the next 10-Q. But reporters will never understand that, or certainly not bother to report it or quote one of their sources that tries to explain it to them.

But to the extent you do say anything, such as Musk's tweet, and the Board statement (and btw, not just the company but also shortseller tweets and our posts here etc.) those statements must not be fraudulent or manipulative under the relevant fraud and manipulation rules.

Edit to add: They might also do a voluntary 8-k disclosure under Item 8.01 "Other events" But that is strictly voluntary when not required by the other items. https://www.sec.gov/files/form8-k.pdf

And edit to add: Even that "funding secured" arrangement, whatever it is, isn't an agreement by Tesla or even a plan by Tesla the company. It is a plan/proposal/twinkle- in-the-eye by two or more shareholders, and such plan is really covered by other rules in Rule 13e-3 re go private transactions or Schedule 13D and other rules that apply to shareholders and their plans.

Last edited:
Did you see the headline on Seeking Alpha from the editor Clark Schultz? It says "Tesla Board expected to push for Musk recusal"
Makes it sound like board wants him to step away. No info that this is perfectly normal in this scenario. Short comments immediately latching on to imply that the board is tired of him and hence asking him to recuse himself.

This site is shameful in how they insinuate negative aura around Tesla, no matter what the news.
He would have to recuse himself. Just as he had to do with the takeover of SolarCity. He is not an impartial party to the move to go private so he has to recuse himself. Michael Dell had to do the same thing when he took Dell private in 2013.

I feel like a girlfriend I'm deeply in love with says she wants to leave me, but the day after she says she needs time to think and now she's kind of sure about ending our relationship.. I don't wanna sell my shares :(
I remember when I first sold all of my shares in June 2013, I felt so bad that the day after I went all in again.
Rule n1 of trading: never fall in love with a stock.. I guess with TSLA everything is different:oops:

But she also said she'll come back in 10 years or so if you stick with her. ;) :D

But hasn't the board already done exactly that yesterday? They said:
Board made a public announcement, but not an 8k. Conservatively, I would think they would file, even if it didn't add any new facts (like who the investors are) to avoid a technical violation - simply because the transaction is SO material they couldn't legitimately claim it wasn't important enough to warrant an 8k. Even more conservatively, they might even disclose the identity of some of the investors. That is probably wishful thinking on my part, but..."Funding Secured"! Would provide cover for their leader and get the burn started in earnest.

It would also seem relevant to me to make that disclosure sooner rather than later if a material part of the investors are foreign (Saudi, SoftBank, tencent, etc.). There may well be regulatory limitations on foreign ownership percentages in de-listed US corporations.

Could make sense - China needs to move into renewable energy/production ASAP, helping take Telsa private could ramp growth at a quicker pace....There's a great synergy between Elon/Tesla and China....unlike here in the US, which the naysayers just dropped the stock, proving people here do not understand the transition that is happening.

The China angle is interesting:
  • Tesla just negotiated a new factory in China (or is negotiating) - Gigafactory 3
  • China is the largest EV market on the globe
  • China is the largest car market on the globe (super high growth rate)
  • China likes premium cars
  • As mentioned above; China wants to accelerate into EV, renewable energy (needs to)
  • China wants to lead the world in renewables & EV
  • China Inc has a lot of cash

Board has to treat this as a real bid. Otherwise, it would make Musk look like a fool with his tweets and could get him in hot water with the SEC. I just hope he really has his ducks in a row. Time will tell. It all rests on who is funding $60 billion or so for a company that has never had an annual profit.

Or maybe, this IS a real bid from the start. Ever heard of Occam's Razor?

SEC broadened the probe. Reports that the probe actually pre-dates the tweets. Anonymous Tesla employees are confirming the probe and investigation.

I'm guessing that the Tweets expanded awareness within the SEC, which is now leaking between enforcement and other departments.

I need to repeat this over and over: Elon Musk is not infallible.

Manage risk responsibly. You're now invested in a company under SEC investigation.

Stop the fear mongering.

I tell you what. A guy has to actually do a few hours of work to keep from getting fired and comes back to this thread and is completely lost. LOL!

So...are we bankrupt yet?

Dan
Don't worry Dan all the best brains over at $tslaq are figuring out how Elon is going to end up in jail over this.
image7.png

Yet another BS headline. The article just stated that the same SEC guys that are asking questions about stated production rates (an inquiry not an investigation) are now also asking questions about the tweet. This is the same inquiry that WSJ reported on yesterday.

So no intensification.

• Tesla just negotiated a new factory in China (or is negotiating) - Gigafactory 3
  • As mentioned above; China wants to accelerate into EV, renewable energy (needs to)
ROFL.... Musk never wanted a Chinese JV partner because of control issues. You really think he would let them get a majority stake in Tesla now? No way in hell.

Interesting thoughts. EM was just in China. He seemed very happy with that visit. Could it be that they discussed more than a new GF? That said, I still think the other major players will be US-based, more specifically SV-based.

But you are assuming retail investors and those institutions who cannot participate in a private company would be willing to sell their shares and lose out on future growth and earnings. I do not see that as a reality. By voting "no" they get to continue in the game.

It only requires insiders plus top 7-8 investors to declare a "yes" vote for the tally to cross 50%.

Once the vote is a certainty, every "no" will sell above $420:

• arbitration traders will push the price all the way to $419.9 - any lower price is free money,
  • and the combined force of new investors interested in a private Tesla and the shorts covering will certainly push the stock price well past $420.
So within a couple of months most "no" shareholders will happily cash out and be replaced with new "yes!" investors.

In the end Elon might not have to spend a single dollar on the buyout.

Status
Not open for further replies.