Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another BS headline. The article just stated that the same SEC guys that are asking questions about stated production rates (an inquiry not an investigation) are now also asking questions about the tweet. This is the same inquiry that WSJ reported on yesterday.

So no intensification.

The news threads are confusing. I saw that a few times and couldn't tell what was new, what was old & what was BS from haters. Like someone posted earlier, Wall Street doesn't produce anything...they don't add to our GDP; they just gamble with everyone's money.

It only requires insiders plus top 7-8 investors to declare a "yes" vote for the tally to cross 50%.

Once the vote is a certainty, every "no" will sell above $420:

• arbitration traders will push the price all the way to $419.9 - any lower price is free money,
  • and the combined force of new investors interested in a private Tesla and the shorts covering will certainly push the stock price well past $420.
So within a couple of months most "no" shareholders will happily cash out and be replaced with new "yes!" investors.

In the end Elon might not have to spend a single dollar on the buyout.
You need 66.7% I believe for this.

Reactions: Lessmog
Mmm I'd rather people stop telling shorts to get out now. I have a 4 digit sell order to fulfill and I feel a short squeeze would be more likely and higher if they all got out in as little a time frame as possible.
Okay that is confusing. Shorts buying shares to cover will drive up the price giving you more for your shares. Why would you NOT want that? What is your sell price?

I don't understand your point. Elon never HAD to assert 'funding secured'. But he DID assert it, so the issue is whether the assertion is true. The market seems to have been very uncertain on that question, and no new evidence has yet materialized, one way or the other.
Right. It has been asserted. No more assertion needed. I think there's some filing that has to be done per SEC rules within a certain amount of time, and I'm sure they are aware of that and will do so. That's just paperwork. Whether or not they reveal anything more in that paperwork is unknown.

Yahoo Finance has an interesting article, as per summary below

• After processing Musk’s letter along with a number of other variables that have emerged, we believe there is a greater than 50% chance Tesla becomes a private company.
  • A privately held Tesla has a greater chance of succeeding than if it remains publically held.
  • While legal concerns about Musk’s use of “financing secured” could weigh on shares in the near-term, we do not believe he or the company are at legal risk.
  • Our best guess is it will take $25B-$30B to take Tesla private.
  • We think there is a slight chance (10%) the $420 bid will be raised to satisfy current investors who would be unable to own Tesla privately.
Should Tesla be private?
The answer is yes for 2 reasons:

Interesting thoughts. EM was just in China. He seemed very happy with that visit. Could it be that they discussed more than a new GF? That said, I still think the other major players will be US-based, more specifically SV-based.
Elon said no investor would have control. Wonder if the juice to get China to agree to a "privately" owned foreign business in China was allowing them to make a substantial investment - but not controlling - in the TSLAP he was putting together. Plausible? After all, I think TSLA is the first foreign entity that secured Chinese approval to own their whole business there.

Okay that is confusing. Shorts buying shares to cover will drive up the price giving you more for your shares. Why would you NOT want that? What is your sell price?

If 25M+ shares needs to be covered and they have time to do it slowly, that'll likely drive the price to around 500-ish. If 20+M shares needs to be covered and they only have a couple of days to do it, how high do you think the price will get?

Mmm I'd rather people stop telling shorts to get out now. I have a 4 digit sell order to fulfill and I feel a short squeeze would be more likely and higher if they all got out in as little a time frame as possible.
I look at it like this: if the sale doesn't go through, then stock price wavers between 300 and 700 for the next 3 years as more products come online and there's twenty new FUD articles every day, union strikes, fires, sabatoge, laws written to hurt Tesla, everything under the sun, and Elon will move to Mars. But if the sale does go through, then my stock will appreciate with the company in a natural way, with a fraction of the resistence. I'm in favor of the successful approach. As long as prices are depressed as they are today, the buyer can position themselves for a nice gain no matter what happens (it's easy to dump a few dozen billion dollars of $TSLA at a higher price later on), and the actual buyout will be more likely. An uncertain possible temporary spike from shorts who might have, for all we know, already totally gotten out, is only going to hurt the long term. Sure, as a short time bill payer, that's kinda nice, but I'm looking at the long term here.

Right. It has been asserted. No more assertion needed. I think there's some filing that has to be done per SEC rules within a certain amount of time, and I'm sure they are aware of that and will do so. That's just paperwork. Whether or not they reveal anything more in that paperwork is unknown.

The problem is that people are confusing things. Tesla has not entered into an agreement or "secured financing". Elon has personally "secured financing" and made an offer. As far as I can tell that doesn't qualify as requiring an 8k disclosure. (Tesla doesn't have to tell the world every time someone makes them an offer.)

If the board/Tesla "secured financing" or entered into an agreement then the 8k disclose requirement kicks in. (At which point they have 4 business days.)

Mind you, if he goes to jail, he will be screwing at least 4 companies. That would be a masterpiece screwup.
I trust Gwynne Shotwell to keep SpaceX on track and on mission, at least. And I think if necessary and given a chance JB Straubel could do the same for Tesla, but it would be a major distraction for him, and being public currently there's a good chance things go bad for Tesla in the Jailhouse Musk scenario. The rest would likely be even worse off.

But at least SpaceX I am confident will survive with no major problems. Don't underestimate Shotwell.

Jim Chanos

When you bring guy that did financial equivalent of betting that your house will crumble and then hires demolition team to "help a little" with his bet, you lose all credibility.

And you wonder people here hate shorts?

And if he does sue, the CNBC clip will be played and the case dismissed, since his claim is he was deceived by Elon, and bought on the tweet. More foolish than I already thought he was.
It is not foolish at all. He gets to eat cake and have it - do bullish thing yet appear like bear (i bet he does count on deal being successful). Rest is just posturing and puffing out chest.

ROFL.... Musk never wanted a Chinese JV partner because of control issues. You really think he would let them get a majority stake in Tesla now? No way in hell.

Very good point about not wanting a Chinese JV. Some slight differences (thinking out loud which is probably a terrible idea...)
  • Chinese Gigafactory 3 JV - Chinese partner owns 50% of the new plant in China. Tesla would have to share profit with Chinese partner on everything in China.
  • If a Chinese entity bought 30% or so of Tesla Inc; then they are just a "private shareholder."
I'm sure Elon prefers US based financing.

But another country flush with cash is the Norway's Sovereign Wealth Fund which I believe they like to invest in non fossil fuel industries. The fund earned $131 billion in 2017 (Billion with a B!) That's a lot of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lessmog and Jovian
If 25M+ shares needs to be covered and they have time to do it slowly, that'll likely drive the price to around 500-ish. If 20+M shares needs to be covered and they only have a couple of days to do it, how high do you think the price will get?
LOL...Have you looked at the volumes recently? They are trading 8+ million shares a day average. They may have been covering the last few days just as a precaution and replacing them with call options to protect the rest. If the price gets to $500 no one is going to take $420 so the buyout would be a bust.

The short sellers being forced to buy the shares back would not have the effect you describe. There are 170m shares outstanding and to take it private those 170m are the shares that will need to be purchased or converted. The extra liquidity and shares provided by the short sellers once removed will have the net effect of driving the price per share up but not altering the buyout requirements. The short covering however will no doubt will drive up the price potentially past the target of $420 per share. That where things will get interesting. Shorting shares do not create new shares, there are still 170m shares regardless of how many are short. They are just borrowing shares and reselling not creating new shares. What is clear 100% of those who are short will be forced to cover if the company goes private.

Gene Munster math is sound and inline with my personal perspective. It's going to take about $25-30B to buy out 60-72m share and the remaining will be transferred to the private vehicle.

The shorts are basically playing a game of chicken with Elon Musk and are almost certainty going to veer off the edge of the road into a fireball of death. Looking forward to being private Tesla shareholder and watching the shorts burn!!

Exactly. I don't know why no one in the media seems to understand that the shorts are buying back something like 1/2 of the shares necessary to close Elon's deal that will burn their position into the ground. Poetic justice.:)

Here is the math according to Gene Munster in the post above:

"Insiders, including Musk, own just over 25% of Tesla shares. Individual investors account for 12% of shares, and large institutional investors like Fidelity and T. Rowe Price make up the remaining 63%. We believe nearly all investors would be supportive of going private, but not all institutional funds would be able to participate in private investments. For that reason, we assume half of Tesla’s institutional ownership (~30% of the company) needs to be bought out. Individual investors, who see greater upside than 13.5%, would likely prefer to maintain ownership if they are able to, depending on fund structure and accredited investor requirements. In short, the more shareholders that decide to roll their shares into the private entity, the less funding Tesla will need for a buyout. By our math, Tesla will need between $25 and $30B."

But Munster does not account for the fact that there are effectively 205 million shares outstanding because shorts have borrowed 35 million on top of 170 million actual shares outstanding.

Once the short sellers are forced to buy those shares back for ~$13billion, the new investors only need to pay something like $13-$15B to get the deal closed. The shorts buy out the rest of the institutions and retail shareholders who don't want to be part of the private Tesla.

Elon said no investor would have control. Wonder if the juice to get China to agree to a "privately" owned foreign business in China was allowing them to make a substantial investment - but not controlling - in the TSLAP he was putting together. Plausible? After all, I think TSLA is the first foreign entity that secured Chinese approval to own their whole business there.

TSLA was the first foreign "Car Mfg" that secured Chinese approval to own 100% of their own "car factory" in China.

Well, this can't be a good sign. Reuters is reporting that Musk still has not divulged to his own Board of Directors who is providing the 'secured' funding:

"While Tesla’s board has held multiple discussions about the proposal, it has not yet received a detailed financing plan from Musk, nor specific information on who will provide the funding, one of the sources said."

I can't think of an innocent explanation for this, unless Reuters' source is just wrong.

Exclusive: Tesla's board seeking more information on Musk's...

Status
Not open for further replies.