Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what also upsets me? The Tesla Board is acting like a bunch of spineless twits. The official investor relations communications from the Board voice no support for Elon. The paragraph in the NYT article attributed to the Board could be seen as the Board lauding the past achievements of someone they are about to retire.

I’ve seen this movie before where the CEO of a public company comes under government scrutiny and the Board folds like a busted flush.

My Dad, who lives in Seattle, actually scanned and sent me the article he read in the paper about Elon and Tesla. I'm not sure if it was a local paper there or WSJ, but it was written by AP Business Writers. It takes the NYT info and CNBC segment about Musk being in trouble with the SEC and his own Board, and combines all of it as factual, then amplifies it. Note that in this article, people expressing their opinions in these sources are cited as "experts." It reads very much as an objective coverage rather than speculative/opinion, even though that's exactly what it is. No wonder my Dad was concerned about my TSLA investments. Whether we like it or not, the average investor still gets much of their information from print sources, CNBC, and Bloomberg. Here's the article from the paper:

View attachment 326850
With investment over long run it’s always do or die situation, I will hold Tesla for ever, I bought Apple in 2007 did very good ,at the same time lot of Chinese Solar investment I had vanished, I think Tesla will do extremely well just like Apple , be in commodity market with differentciate product, sometimes it’s the company culture created by founder lives on well after leader reduced his roll or gone, Pay pal founded by Elon is valued at 101 billions.

Reactions: madodel and wipster
My Dad, who lives in Seattle, actually scanned and sent me the article he read in the paper about Elon and Tesla. I'm not sure if it was a local paper there or WSJ, but it was written by AP Business Writers. It takes the NYT info and CNBC segment about Musk being in trouble with the SEC and his own Board, and combines all of it as factual, then amplifies it. Note that in this article, people expressing their opinions in these sources are cited as "experts." It reads very much as an objective coverage rather than speculative/opinion, even though that's exactly what it is. No wonder my Dad was concerned about my TSLA investments. Whether we like it or not, the average investor still gets much of their information from print sources, CNBC, and Bloomberg. Here's the article from the paper:

View attachment 326850

Unfortunately(for, you know, the world), I’ve found the AP to be one of the worst of the bunch. I’ve seen multiple misleading or outright false articles from them about Tesla and have learned to ignore them for all things.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
You know what also upsets me? The Tesla Board is acting like a bunch of spineless twits. The official investor relations communications from the Board voice no support for Elon. The paragraph in the NYT article attributed to the Board could be seen as the Board lauding the past achievements of someone they are about to retire.

I’ve seen this movie before where the CEO of a public company comes under government scrutiny and the Board folds like a busted flush.

I've actually been thinking the exact same thing. The board needs to grow some freaking spines and stand up for themselves, Elon, and the company, rather than just releasing the occasional generic statement.

We're shareholders. They ought to listen to us. Recommended contact methods?

I succeeded. Where are you trying to do it? The more reports the better. Be sure to note your losses because of the stock market decline that he (apparently deliberately) caused, and be as detailed as possible.
Thanks. Just using the complaint form on the sec.gov site. Just tried again and the same server error after I filled in the first page. Did you use a different site?

My complaint:

David Gelles posted on Twitter, David Gelles on Twitter

the following:

"David Gelles @dgelles

Tesla $TSLA stock now down close to 4 percent in pre market trading. Wonder why?"

He wrote a hit piece article in the New York Times, "Elon Musk Details ‘Excruciating’ Personal Toll of Tesla Turmoil" Elon Musk Details ‘Excruciating’ Personal Toll of Tesla Turmoil which twists an hour interview with Mr. Musk into a personal attack which damaged the reputation of the Tesla CEO which triggered a stock selloff. He then posted on Twitter taking credit for the stock dropping 29.95 a share. I had a one day loss of over $150,000. This is stock price manipulation.

Thanks. Just using the complaint form on the sec.gov site. Just tried again and the same server error after I filled in the first page. Did you use a different site?

That's the site.

Go to: SEC.gov | HOME
Click "submit a tip or file a complaint. That will bring you here: SEC.gov | Questions and Complaints
Click on "Report" - that'll bring you here: SEC.gov | Report Suspected Securities Fraud or Wrongdoing
Click "Submit a tip" - it'll bring you here: Tips, Complaints and Referrals Disclaimer Page

A number of years ago in the Netherlands mass-media attacked one politician with spinned up story. A rather small group of journalists produced a lot of noise, this noise was quickly reproduced by the rest of national channels and they made so much fuss everywhere that a parliamentary commission was called which while not finding any substance in claims, still concluded that this politician made "mistakes".
Btw. these journalists, each of them, have worked or did stage in NYT at some point of their carrier.
It's called Fred Teeven case. If dutch part of the forum has any interest I can dump extract of a report in their section of forum. It's amazing illustration of what MM can do if not checked.

If Musk wasn't surrounded by the people he is, if USA wasn't in the middle of retarded partizan war (which means you can find always a side which will hear you) I would worry for Tesla and SpaceX. But there is really no reasons to worry.
Tesla board is silent because it's better for them not to participate now in anything open, because any action will disturb process of privatization. And this is the real purpose of all these attacks.

Again the best reference is Dell case. Then there was also a lot of noise.
And clearly Musk is not Dell.

I've actually been thinking the exact same thing. The board needs to grow some freaking spines and stand up for themselves, Elon, and the company, rather than just releasing the occasional generic statement.

We're shareholders. They ought to listen to us. Recommended contact methods?

ir.tesla.com

I said Elon needs to stop commenting on Tesla stock being overvalued. It disparages the people who believe in Tesla, including the employees.

My comments along with others resulted in Elon backtracking a bit and says:

Value is priced for the future! uhhh bet accordingly.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
That's the site.

Go to: SEC.gov | HOME
Click "submit a tip or file a complaint. That will bring you here: SEC.gov | Questions and Complaints
Click on "Report" - that'll bring you here: SEC.gov | Report Suspected Securities Fraud or Wrongdoing
Click "Submit a tip" - it'll bring you here: Tips, Complaints and Referrals Disclaimer Page
Same here. I figured out the problem. For his website I was using the article page link. The form was choking on it. When I changed the website link to just www.nytimes.com I was able to complete it. I'd urge as many people here to do the same. It is bad enough they are doing this repeatedly, but to brag about it is unconscionable.

I hope that at some point the full audio of the conversation is leaked. Not sure what the recording laws are in CA, here in TX IIRC only one party need know, though there might be Federal laws that supercede for inter-state communication - it's common to have your PBX record ALL calls with a disclaimer at the start (you may remember hearing them when you call into various support #'s that they are recording for "quality" or "training" purposes), but at least in TX as long as one party to the conversation knows it's being recorded (i.e., the company whose PBX you're calling) it's legal to record AFAIK, so I bet it's pretty common to just always record even when you don't get informed of it ...

If Tesla / Elon doesn't have a recording they can release, then maybe someone at NYT will have a soul and leak it.

CA is a two party consent state I believe, but Elon might have informed them and made it a condition of granting an interview, in which case it would be legal. The NYT guys, if they acted in bad faith, might not have done a recording - on purpose...

Even if he didn't make a recording, I think he will record future interviews...

Same here. I figured out the problem. For his website I was using the article page link. The form was choking on it. When I changed the website link to just www.nytimes.com I was able to complete it. I'd urge as many people here to do the same. It is bad enough they are doing this repeatedly, but to brag about it is unconscionable.

Bragging about it can also be considered an admission of intent to cause harm and bad faith - those can weigh a lot in determining criminal intent.

The primary crime, if there was any, is in what they did. The tweet of David Gelles might be proof and admission of intent and state of mind, and it might also have been another public communication of false material statements about a publicly traded company.

The First Amendment sets a high bar but is not an absolute defense when what journalists write are intended to hurt a publicly traded company with false and misleading statements in essence.

Last edited:
I don’t think Elon intentionally meant to hurt his shareholders and by extension his employees.

Intended or not, the result is still the same.

Someone else present for Elon would help him figure out

1.) Intentions to hurt or help Elon
2.) Insist editorial review for publication
3.) Change direction or end conversation if needed.

If Elon had an approver for tweets, all of them would have went through... except for

420 - funding secured
Pedo guy

He can talk about conquering traffic all day long and he nerdy. The above? Not so much.
Hey @MXWing, some of your posts here are pretty extreme. How 'bout if you pass them by me before you post them. I won't even charge you by the word.

Edit: And @MXWing apologies for singling you out--lots of otherwise informative and interesting posters here seem to know what EM needs.

Last edited:
Hey @MXWing, some of your posts here are pretty extreme. How 'bout if you pass them by me before you post them. I won't even charge you by the word.

Edit: And @MXWing apologies for singling you out--lots of otherwise informative and interesting posters here seem to know what EM needs.

If they would negatively affect everyone’s share prices - absolutely.

Most of my beatdowns are to a Bolt owner who runs a Bolt forum but still trolls Tesla owners and Musk supporters here.

I’m really honestly bewildered with the disagrees. Not that internet mouse clicks bother me but the non acknowledgment that Elon doesn’t have the EQ necessary to handle people out to get him.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19
I wonder why Elon or Tesla have not posted anything about the NYT article?

The first mistake was trying to go against the media... They are just too powerful.

We should just let the cars and results do the taking. Invite the media to factory tours etc etc but that's it.
Really since this seems to be a concerted effort by multiple media outlets Tesla should just give them access to a Model 3P for a weekend and leave all other contact to their press department.

I don't understand why the Board is being so passive about Elon being handled this way. Why aren't they coming out with a more detailed defense of Musk? The statement they provided for the NYT was pretty minimal and, as you said, read almost like the listing of achievements of a leader on the way out. They could do a lot more for Elon, Tesla, and investors right now. Makes me wonder just a little about what's happening...

I don't understand why the Board is being so passive about Elon being handled this way. Why aren't they coming out with a more detailed defense of Musk? The statement they provided for the NYT was pretty minimal and, as you said, read almost like the listing of achievements of a leader on the way out. They could do a lot more for Elon, Tesla, and investors right now. Makes me wonder just a little about what's happening...
Possibly the board is trying to appear more independent and not simply Elon cheer leaders. Maybe.

Reactions: Boomer19
Status
Not open for further replies.