Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AP with another hit piece this evening re: Elon’s cozy ties with his BOD....shorts and journalists joining together to knock this great company.

It’s mind boggling that the NYT, CNN, NBC, AP and others that should be a friend of EV transportation just delivering repetitive body shots ( which is dumb btw. They already have lost the conservative/Republican crowd, why cause another block of people to flee ).

Is there anyway to raise the awareness of the fact that John Broder is on the NY Times Editorial Board since beginning of 2018 and he could be the reason why NY Times is so biased against Elon Musk and Tesla? Can someone ask Elon on Twitter whether he remembers John Broder and is aware that he is on the NY Times Editorial Board?
Editorial board and news desk are (supposedly) separate and don’t influence each other.

Eg. In the run up to Iraq war the news side pushed a lot of stories (turned out to be false) supporting the war. The editorial board opposed the war.

I keep thinking Elon's decision to give an hour-long interview to the Times, which he knew very well couldn't be trusted, in which he perplexingly proceeds to share his deepest emotions, is really difficult to explain. Around the same time, he "goes to YouTube" to give a different kind of interview to someone he trusts, whom he also treats with a personal tour of the factory. He knows that those who read the Times and those who watch MKBHD for the most part do not overlap. It's like he's deliberately talking to two different audiences, delivering two different messages at the same time: to the press, it's "I haven't slept in a month, I eat Ambien for breakfast, and I tweet while I drive", while to the cognoscenti it's "we're doing all these complicated things, and it's hard, but it's also really cool and we're kinda succeeding". He surely knows which of the two will drive the stock price the next day. I mean, if he wanted the price to be lower, for whatever reasons, who's going to go to court to say "Elon Musk manipulated the market by tricking us into manipulating our readers?" Who's going to say he lied, when he didn't? The man is, after all, really sleeping at the factory, when he sleeps at all.

I dunno, most likely it's just wishful thinking on my part to imagine there is method to this madness and I am just seeing patterns in the clouds. On the other hand... all this is just a tiny bit odd.
Musk seems to like to play people's vanity against them. You simply let the NYT crowd get the story wrong and misinform their own readers. Meanwhile real stuff is happening that they are not inclined to pay attention to. Later this comes out, and it is like Elon has pulled magic out of thin air and the NYT cloud got it all wrong.

Indeed if Musk is going to take Tesla private, it is beneficial for the the shorts to feel emboldened. The more heavily shorted Tesla is, the cheaper it is to take private.

So is Musk manipulating the situation? No, the vanity of all these other players, the media, the shorts, the stock analysts is doing the manipulation. Musk simply is allowing this vanity to play out around him. Ok, maybe provoking it a little. If you warn the shorts about a short burn, they will dig deeper trenches for themselves. If question media coverage, you can be sure the journalist will try to justify themselves by staying fixed on negative narratives. If you tell the stock analysts that their questions are boneheaded, their petty egos will lock on to petty valuations. Dogs return to their own vomit, so you let them. Meanwhile you go back to the assembly line and keep making cars better. Those who are ensnared by their own vanity will never see what is really happening.

Musk seems to like to play people's vanity against them. You simply let the NYT crowd get the story wrong and misinform their own readers. Meanwhile real stuff is happening that they are not inclined to pay attention to. Later this comes out, and it is like Elon has pulled magic out of thin air and the NYT cloud got it all wrong.

Indeed if Musk is going to take Tesla private, it is beneficial for the the shorts to feel emboldened. The more heavily shorted Tesla is, the cheaper it is to take private.

So is Musk manipulating the situation? No, the vanity of all these other players, the media, the shorts, the stock analysts is doing the manipulation. Musk simply is allowing this vanity to play out around him. Ok, maybe provoking it a little. If you warn the shorts about a short burn, they will dig deeper trenches for themselves. If question media coverage, you can be sure the journalist will try to justify themselves by staying fixed on negative narratives. If you tell the stock analysts that their questions are boneheaded, their petty egos will lock on to petty valuations. Dogs return to their own vomit, so you let them. Meanwhile you go back to the assembly line and keep making cars better. Those who are ensnared by their own vanity will never see what is really happening.

I am in doubt that Elon has some form of secret master plan for the NYT up his sleeves. He made an error in granting them an interview and by doing so, he also erred in revealing his mental/emotional state. Instead of conducting damage control or tweeting back against the writer to set the record straight, Elon has chosen to remain silent in a time where investors are obviously hurting. This tells me he is playing both sides like a fiddle, and we’re collateral damage at his disposal. If weaker longs sell, he welcomes it, if they hold he couldn’t care less at this point. We’re on our own at this point moving forward.

The silence is deafening.

AP with another hit piece this evening re: Elon’s cozy ties with his BOD....shorts and journalists joining together to knock this great company.

It’s mind boggling that the NYT, CNN, NBC, AP and others that should be a friend of EV transportation just delivering repetitive body shots ( which is dumb btw. They already have lost the conservative/Republican crowd, why cause another block of people to flee ).

Again, be boggled by the mind doesn’t help any of us or Tesla. We’re on our own until this deal gets done, or not...

The attacks will continue, “the worst is yet to come.” Either we collectively do something about it (have a game plan), or we can continue to sit around this camp fire and complain.

I am in doubt that Elon has some form of secret master plan for the NYT up his sleeves. He made an error in granting them an interview and by doing so, he also erred in revealing his mental/emotional state. Instead of conducting damage control or tweeting back against the writer to set the record straight, Elon has chosen to remain silent in a time where investors are obviously hurting. This tells me he is playing both sides like a fiddle, and we’re collateral damage at his disposal. If weaker longs sell, he welcomes it, if they hold he couldn’t care less at this point. We’re on our own at this point moving forward.

That is one explanation. Another is that he promised NOT to tweet about this and he is simply keeping his words. Maybe that's just him being cautious with his tweets and begin to learn to keep his quiet.

Yes, well, we have our own vanity as well. Expecting Elon to cater to that is not likely to turn out well for us either.

That is one explanation. Another is that he promised NOT to tweet about this and he is simply keeping his words. Maybe that's just him being cautious with his tweets and begin to learn to keep his quiet.

I can see your point, and I think it’s a low probability that he wants to be silent in order to keep his word. During a time when investors/Wall Street are so concern and divided over this issue, being silent is more harmful than being transparent.

When he claims to be transparent (420), it ended hurting us. And when we’re down and being kicked on the ground, I would expect more than “silence.”

The Elon I know isn’t like this, he’s been vocal: dropped hints “these numbers look great,” he’s pumped “squeeze of the century”, trust me he’s not the quiet type. He also doesn’t appear as one who would take punch on the chin. Everyday that he is “silent” but yet tweets about “how hard it is to be in the auto biz” and follows up by scaring investors away with “I have no choice but to work 120 hours bc the risk of bk”, doesn’t make sense to me. His loyalties are no longer 100% with shareholders and it’s becoming more apparent to me. This is why i think there is an urgency that we should organize a game plan to at least push back, as we are on our own.

Your mistake is thinking this is a partisan issue. Green is the same color no matter what party you're from.

Instead of conducting damage control or tweeting back against the writer to set the record straight, Elon has chosen to remain silent in a time where investors are obviously hurting.

It's very hard for an attacked person to defend against deeply unfair character attacks - it inevitably sounds defensive, whiny and self-serving. Last time Elon attempted to do that (the Thai cave rescue) he quickly got frustrated, trolled, and in a weak moment he wrote back in anger which backfired, spectacularly.

That's why they are launching character attacks against him. They cannot attack Tesla's performance effectively anymore, so they are attacking Elon.

Elon gamble that the NYT's Tesla coverage got any better since 2013 was a big mistake - a mistake I hope he learned from. I really, really hope this was the last ever interview he gave to the NYT. He should give generous weekly interviews to the WSJ before ever talking to the NYT again: everyone knows that the WSJ is opposed to everything Elon does and discounts any spin from them, but the NYT should have been a natural ally, and what he got was another betrayal and back-stabbing.

I like Elon's silence with the occasional positive message such as a YouTube video that acts as a stark contrast against the NYT story a lot more than extending the news cycle with defensive tweets.

Last edited:
It's very hard for an attacked person to defend against deeply unfair character attacks - it inevitably sounds defensive, whiny and self-serving. Last time Elon attempted to do that (the Thai cave rescue) he got quickly frustrated, trolled, and in a weak moment he wrote back in anger which backfired, spectacularly.

That's why they are launching character attacks against him. They cannot attack Tesla's performance effectively anymore, so they are attacking Elon.

Elon gamble that the NYT's Tesla coverage got any better since 2013 was a big mistake - a mistake I hope he learned from. I really, really hope this was the last ever interview he gave to the NYT. He should give generous weekly interviews to the WSJ before ever talking to the NYT again: everyone knows that the WSJ is opposed to everything Elon does and discounts any spin from them, but the NYT should have been a natural ally, and what he got was another betrayal and back-stabbing.

I like Elon's silence with the occasional positive message such as a YouTube video that acts as a stark contrast against the NYT story a lot more than extending the news cycle with defensive tweets.

What he said :p:oops:

I also welcome he silence and think this might be the turning point for him. This is the first time we see real constraint from Elon. As we all know this is not easy for him.

I share the opinion that his twitter defense is likely to make things worse. Not only previous incidences showed that, in fact, I think his reply to Arianna Huffington was this one moment he lost his self constraint and tried to defend himself on tweeter. we really do not need more of that.

I have my finger crossed and hope his new twitter persona lives longer.

Tweets

1. New conversation

Ross Gerber‏Verified account @GerberKawasaki 6m6 minutes ago
      Would #TimCook be an ideal number 2 at #Tesla? What do you think? Spot from @BloombergTV $tsla http://ow.ly/Dsz130lu7Cs

DlEu5VBW4AErKPO.jpg
    2. 9 replies3 retweets8 likes

3. 007‏ @TrendTrader007 13s14 seconds ago
      love this interview thanks @GerberKawasaki

So good to see someone gets it and talks loud out about it. His reactions about the NYT interview are hilarious. We need more of those guys at Bloomberg and CNBC laughing in the faces of the interviewers and telling them what the real story is about.

Thanks for posting.

I think his reply to Arianna Huffington was this one moment he lost his self constraint and tried to defend himself on tweeter.

Yeah - Arianna Huffington deserved a reply and what Elon wrote was a mostly good attempt, but mentioning the b-word:

"Ford & Tesla are the only 2 American car companies to avoid bankruptcy."​

... was immediately turned back against him (predictably).

If Elon doesn't want to filter his messages through a PR-savvy person then he should at least get a crash course in how FUD gets generated, that would help him avoid giving the FUDsters more fodder. He seems to be awfully unaware of the various angles his messages get abused.

It is basically analogous to writing code defensively without having security-holes in it: in a similar fashion it's possible to message conservatively as well, without having obvious FUD-holes in the tweets/interviews. Takes some effort, but should be well worth it.

Model 3 seems to be creeping up to 6,000/ week, according to not just “a source”, but Bloomberg Model 3 tracker, we are currently at or close to 5,942/ week:

Terms of Service Violation

Elon doesn’t have to do a fancy interview, just tweet and confirm 6,000/ week when it’s done. Keep it simple and don’t fk up the tweet, don’t include “pedo”, don’t mention the “short shorts”, just a simple “Tesla produced 6,000 Model 3s last week.” Don’t give me fancy and colorful language about “demonstrating 6,000/hour”.. let me know you care about shareholders, Elon. I wouldn’t normally ask for this, but I’m questioning your motives at this moment.

My bet is that he won’t dont even do the normal “congratulations” email to employees once the 6k is breached. As of the 420 tweet, my view is that all the creative methods of communicating to shareholders, were thrown out the window. It’s all about the insiders now.

Also watch this especially from 1.33

Europe in the Morning hours and I could not find one media showing or talking about the MKBHD Video #1 or #2 and walk around the factory.

Doesn't a video showing Elon Musk walking and talking not attract more clicks and gives tons of more information about e.g. the emotional status of a person? Instead we hear all the repeat and echo from the NYD phone interview where we have seen no transcript but as it looks like a manufactures story twisting what he really said in a certain direction with misleading sentences.

Watched it twice and did not see a burned out, dead tired, crying CEO on drugs anywhere .....

Instead have seen an energized, awake, proud and highly motivated CEO receiving a lot of respect from the workers while walking through...

Status
Not open for further replies.