Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that this is a personal question.

If there was a market pullback how would you handle it?

I won't tell you what you should do. I will only comment that I would never use margin.

Well I'm long and prepared to wait 10-15 years, so short-term pull-backs don't bother me so much. However, it the bank were to pull a 007 on me with a margin call at that moment, forcing a sale of my initial capital, well that would be dissappointing.

I also think to use the 100% margin avaialble would indeed be risky, but I could see it being useful as a trading instrument, while leaving core shares untouched.

Shorts fully in control today..the swing is huge...

Unlikely to do anything with shorts. The market is pulling back, technicals are a coinflip for the market right now. At this moment we are leaning bearishly. Also, I believe we have delivery numbers coming out shortly which are unlikely to look favorable (as usual). I'm about as bullish on TSLA as one can be and I exited all my shorter term positions and have zero interest in buying here. I'd wager quite a few longs and technical traders feel similarly.

Well I'm long and prepared to wait 10-15 years, so short-term pull-backs don't bother me so much. However, it the bank were to pull a 007 on me with a margin call at that moment, forcing a sale of my initial capital, well that would be dissappointing.

I also think to use the 100% margin avaialble would indeed be risky, but I could see it being useful as a trading instrument, while leaving core shares untouched.
If you want to sleep properly at night and not worry about the daily fluctuations of the share price, stay away from margin. The highs are awesome when the share price is going up, but the lows are terrible when you're counting down every single cent till when you will be margin called. This is amplified even further when you're using margin for options!

A good way to use margin would be if you know you have some money coming to you soon, but the share price is beaten down super low and you want to lock that price down now. You can use margin to buy the shares now and pay back the margin when your money comes in. Even then, I wouldn't chance it unless you know you are getting the money within a couple of weeks and I would do some calculations as to what is the lowest share price I'm comfortable with before getting margin called.

Take it from someone who learnt the hard way. I'm was able to get out of the latest downturn battered but not completely destroyed, so I'm in the process of deleveraging now that the share price is slowly moving up. I'd like to be completely off margin before Q1 ER.

Last edited:
Unlikely to do anything with shorts. The market is pulling back, technicals are a coinflip for the market right now. At this moment we are leaning bearishly. Also, I believe we have delivery numbers coming out shortly which are unlikely to look favorable (as usual). I'm about as bullish on TSLA as one can be and I exited all my shorter term positions and have zero interest in buying here. I'd wager quite a few longs and technical traders feel similarly.
I'm waiting for $330 to buy

Also to add, when using margin, you are never completely leaving core shares untouched... Your core holdings are collateral for the margin you used, so when there is a downturn, it is possible that both your margined and core holdings could be liquidated to satisfy the margin call.

I'm with you here, sort off.
I sold large chunk of my leverage (added on the way down $320-$300) last couple of days and today.

I am tempted to buy back some between low $340 and $350, yet, I don't see any proof of ramp happening. Hence, I'm concerned current optimism has played out a bit too early, and that we will see $330 and possibly lower.

Technically though, it's very likely we don't see anything under $340, hence my temptation to load up again in low 340s, if we even see it...

To summarize, I expect disappointment short term, but I doubt it will change outcome for '19 leaps, and even less so for '20 leaps, and I have FOMO, so I'm torn.
Just thinking aloud...

The market has a tendency to sweep up leverage and leveraged investors. If you don't manage your risk and are not trading for a living, I personally think it is dangerous. I have used margin, but have always regretted buying on FOMO. It is only when buying incrementally when the stock is falling, or early after a bottom. I bought in the 200's on the way down to the Mark Seagull bottom. Too often buying on margin is a reaction to feeling like you have missed out on a rally. This is often the time to sell covered calls and limit your risk and sell someone else leverage.
opinion, not advise or implied expertise.

I literally "know nothing", but the fact that TT007 got wiped out just 3-4 days from new stock highs for me speaks volume about how freaking dangerous this game is.
I'm here from 2015, and I've seen enough here to know that this stock is unpredicatable, so conservative play is probably for the best (you can gamble, but if you lose is not the end of the world). On the other end, fundamental analysis and boring buy-and-hold have been probably the best strategies in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.