Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Fact Checking Very well written post and I agree with you. Common sense and doing the right thing should prevail.

However, I don't think that you've taken into account all of the wealthy and powerful people who need Tesla/Musk to fail so they can maintain their wealth and power. Using their influence to destroy Tesla/Musk by any means necessary is a very easy business decision.

What are you implying?

• Funny
Reactions: Off Shore
High end cars including Tesla will never be as reliable as low end cars because all New technology get tested there , then it’s filter downs to lower trim, I do not expect my Model 3 as reliable as my Honda Civic, very little changes in technology in Honda Civic in Last 7 years.
daughters 97 Honda Civic, exhaust system fell off, rusted out. It was reliably "bad" (but cheap)

I remember reading a report about drop in the sales of Ford (GM might have been mentioned as well) for August, while the average for the other automakers was positive number.

Rest of 2018 is probably going to be ugly for car sales: the hurricanes of 2017 destroyed over a million cars, creating a lot of sales in the second half of 2017. In the second half of 2018 that's probably going to show YoY drop in sales.

But there will be an exception: Tesla.

Has anyone done the math on increase of container space by having no engine or exhaust system on Tesla Semi (thus making the truck more compact for more trailer length)?

Let's not underestimate the value of always on temperature control of cargo either: 1MWh of battery pack enables freezers to run almost forever - and without generating exhaust.

The Semi also allows new, faster, more efficient style of logistics: the semi could drive directly into closed, air-conditioned warehouses, without external space reserved to park the semi while it's unloaded. It takes less space to store a semi inside than outside - this could make a big difference to warehouse space utilization in expensive real estate areas: city centers, harbor areas, etc.

The food and beverage industry is going to love the Tesla Semi.

Last edited:
Ah crap, Twitter beckons...

upload_2018-8-30_22-53-9.png

ok, what exactly happened between 3:38 and 3:56 EST
looks like somekind of a buy......Vol spike and A/D jump up
some market action, in market action
View attachment 330421

Yes, noticed that too: big time accumulation at successive price levels, ignoring all attempts by the short spike-seller to mark down the price.

The same entity (or entities) possibly also caught the "falling knife" that was the $300 breach - another million shares accumulated there.

If it was them playing those barrier games earlier in the week then bravo!

I am really struggling with this idea that Elon’s tweeting is driving stock price. I would think that if you are a big institutional investor with many highly paid analysts, you would be looking at things like company fundamentals, how it appears to be tracking against guidance, how it seems to be handling problems, etc. Elon has always been a free range tweeter and periodic squalls are the norm. It’s not like Tim Cook suddenly started tweeting cat videos or something.

My very rough, back-of-the- envelope calculations suggest the current fleet of Tesla cars, at about 5 billion miles per year, using 300 kWh per mile (and 3x more efficient on a btu basis than ICE) , almost exactly replaces the bbl/day output of Kuwait.
Not bad for a start. Next up: Iran.
Robin

Is there an assumed consumption of 300 kWh per mile, per Tesla? Hopefully that is just a typo, otherwise the calculation is off by three orders of magnitude.

• Funny
Reactions: Johan and N5329K
Hey, KD, can you change your profile picture please. I find it... disturbing...

How about the powers that be institute a rule that no humans be depicted and one should use their car, their pet, or a cartoon of some sort? Maybe use an expression that illustrates one's perspective on life. I don't think people realize how unflattering, and sometimes very off-putting it is to see their faces with every post. There are only a couple I have seen that are appealing, and those are strictly female. I don't post often, but putting my face there would be more offensive to some than a few of the positions I take.

How about the powers that be institute a rule that no humans be depicted and one should use their car, their pet, or a cartoon of some sort? Maybe use an expression that illustrates one's perspective on life. I don't think people realize how unflattering, and sometimes very off-putting it is to see their faces with every post. There are only a couple I have seen that are appealing, and those are strictly female. I don't post often, but putting my face there would be more offensive to some than a few of the positions I take.

Well he could at least smile, no? But it's very angry looking...

I use only a cartoon cat as my avatar because the constant harassment from women stops me from using a real photo.

Let's not underestimate the value of always on temperature control of cargo either: 1MWh of battery pack enables freezers to run almost forever - and without generating exhaust.

The Semi also allows new, faster, more efficient style of logistics: the semi could drive directly into closed, air-conditioned warehouses, without external space reserved to park the semi while it's unloaded. It takes less space to store a semi inside than outside - this could make a big difference to warehouse space utilization in expensive real estate areas: city centers, harbor areas, etc.

The food and beverage industry is going to love the Tesla Semi.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned here, but one more, I dare say unlikely fan of the Tesla Semi is most likely Germany's Bosch.

Bosch is apparently ready to demonstrate a semi-trailer capable of regen-breaking on all axles, potentially offering very substantial energy savings, especially when coupled with a battery-powered Semi such as Tesla's.

Bosch unveils new electric semitrailers that can save over $10,000 per year through regen braking

Is there an assumed consumption of 300 kWh per mile, per Tesla? Hopefully that is just a typo, otherwise the calculation is off by three orders of magnitude.
No, 300 Watt hours/mile average per Tesla. I also assumed 20 gallons of gasoline refined per 42 gallon oil barrel, etc, etc. NOT capturing true well-to-wheel efficiencies, distribution losses. Surely other errors, though. It was a very small envelope, after all. We could be anywhere from Venezuela's daily bbl pumped, to Nigeria's, or as much as Kuwait's.
And next week, 5,000 more EV's.
Robin

Last edited:
Reactions: Unpilot
I am really struggling with this idea that Elon’s tweeting is driving stock price. I would think that if you are a big institutional investor with many highly paid analysts, you would be looking at things like company fundamentals, how it appears to be tracking against guidance, how it seems to be handling problems, etc. Elon has always been a free range tweeter and periodic squalls are the norm. It’s not like Tim Cook suddenly started tweeting cat videos or something.
Quit struggling and simply accept reality. It doesn't have to make sense.

As far as the Tim Cook and cat videos....umm have you not been reading tweets from Musk arguing about pedos and lawsuits? It actually would be better for Musk if he was tweeting cat videos....at least all his groupie cult ladies would be hearting those...

@Fact Checking Very well written post and I agree with you. Common sense and doing the right thing should prevail.

However, I don't think that you've taken into account all of the wealthy and powerful people who need Tesla/Musk to fail so they can maintain their wealth and power. Using their influence to destroy Tesla/Musk by any means necessary is a very easy business decision.
Fact checking...ahem...WHEN does Musk learn to filter? Never? When pink ponies fart or whatever that gif is?

If he won't filter after his tweet is promotiprclass action lawsuits and an SEC inquiry...and he still goes on Twitter rants...I think the expectation of filtering or self control goes out the window. It will never happen. Can we have the shorts hack his phone and break it like the paint bots? Please shorts?????

• Funny
Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
Status
Not open for further replies.