Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW., here's a new article from @ZachShahan over at CleanTechnica:

Inquiring minds want to know...

Don't forget Omega, Orbital, then O-ATK now we're NG regularly sends flying bits into space..

OmegA: Can Orbital ATK's New Rocket take on SpaceX and Blue Origin?

This is a post I made two weeks ago while the stock was above $300. Technical indicators do work. I guess those who purchased on margin at $295, $290, $280 didn't work well.

Don't sell covered Calls near the bottom, because after rally, the buyer could gain a lot on those and leave you empty handed.

If you got in correctly based on valuation and technical indicators, don't rush to sell for a few dollars. Try to estimate the next best selling point.

Tesla has very low risk at this level. If you bought with free cash, you probably can hold the shares for another 10 years. Meanwhile, accumulate cash for the next buy point. If you bought with high margin, then you need to watch closely. You don't want to become a victim of stock manipulators.

I will post it if I see a possible sell point for these trading shares. My investment shares will stay as long as Elon holds his shares. I think he plans to hold at least 15 years.

Which technical indicator did you use?

It used to be forbidden to announce publicly when you 'Ignore' others.
I agree with that policy, though it doesn't seem to be enforced anymore.
I find this type of comments so distasteful, that I've started blocking anyone that proclaims it.
Hence:
1. I put you on 'Ignore' and
2. I hope to provoke moderator's action that would ban you and I both, for the betterment of this board.
@AudubonB
Oh I get it. A little Canadian humor. Good one.

• Interesting SpaceX's Raptor design uses a unique methane fueled full-flow combustion design never used before by any other rocket company. Which design BE-4 ended up using too.
Just for the record, and because of your name ;): BE-4 does not use the same cycle as Raptor. It uses Oxygen-Rich Staged Combustion, where Raptor uses Full-Flow Staged Combustion. Full-Flow is more complicated, as you can't test the various parts by themselves, but once running, it's a very powerful beast. BE-4 seems to be a very middle-of-the-road design by comparison. BE-4 will be larger than Raptor, but will have a worse weight-to-thrust factor. Also Full-Flow has been used in other engines, but it has never been flown.

Also, Hi. I'm now the proud owner of 10 long shares. It's not much, but they're mine. I've been lurking here for a while, and appreciate all the input from people who know far more about finances than me.

Just for the record, and because of your name ;): BE-4 does not use the same cycle as Raptor. It uses Oxygen-Rich Staged Combustion, where Raptor uses Full-Flow Staged Combustion.

Yes, that's true, but SpaceX's original Raptor plans were for partial flow staged combustion as well, they upgraded to full flow after the Raptor team left for Blue Origin...

It was a risky move, triggered by the Blue Origin poaching in a sense, but it paid off.

Also note that the engine dimensions are different: SpaceX uses smaller but more redundant and cheaper to build engines, while BE-4 is a much larger engine.

It doesn't change the fact that when BE-4 was built it was effectively a clone of the then contemporary SpaceX Raptor plans.

I didn't want to complicate my overly long post even more by including this kind of nuance, but you are right that my description was incomplete and thus misleading, so it's better to set the record straight.

Last edited:
It used to be forbidden to announce publicly when you 'Ignore' others.
I agree with that policy, though it doesn't seem to be enforced anymore.
I find this type of comments so distasteful, that I've started blocking anyone that proclaims it.
Hence:
1. I put you on 'Ignore' and
2. I hope to provoke moderator's action that would ban you and I both, for the betterment of this board.
@AudubonB

Are you Spartacus?

Overall I think Elon is the better rocket engineer, but Blue Origin has very robust funding.

Not to dismiss the importance of funding, but Elon's SpaceX managed to overtake government funded projects that are arguably even better funded. The point being- extremely capable individual, having the power and the vision to make important decisions (followed by decisive actions) is in the bottom of SpaceX's success. My guess is that many of us base their conviction in TSLA's bright future as result of that.

Back to market action, the latest daily short interest numbers by S3 Partners (Ihor Dusaniwsky) are out:

Dm56bweW4AESyOe.jpg:large

Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

This shows that the recent drop from $300 to $252 was in significant part driven by shorting, and was interrupted by the 'circuit breaker' uptick-rule triggered last Friday. Tesla short interest increased to 33.5m shares.

My observation is that today's $TSLA price action was very bullish and impressive in face of mixed macro, negative Tesla headlines and a drop in NASDAQ.

Also note the last two days in Ihor's chart: even after the big drop shorts increased their positions by about 0.5m shares, against the rise in the stock price. This supports the notion that there's significant accumulation/buy interest present - it was probably not caused by shorts covering.

Also, those who worried that $252 would allow shorts to cover way too cheaply, that's clearly not what happened: the drop was caused by shorting and the subsequent 'bounce' caused even more shorting and a larger short interest.

Last edited:
... so was Cloud Computing when Amazon was just a book seller. But again I agree with you that Automobile and Cloud are apples and oranges, since Cloud Computing was a non-existent industry that Amazon invented.

Also, Amazon leveraged internal technology that they built for retail for their cloud business. Automotive isn't really an adjacent market.

Not impossible, but automotive is not Amazon's core competency.

I believe we have to look at the even wider historic and personal context and background: to both Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk their space companies are their real obsessions:
So I think the Tesla media reporting distortion and negative bias phenomenon @ZachShahan documented could in part be the opening skirmishes of a nasty proxy war for space.

SpaceX as a private company and as an amazing success story is much harder to attack - so Tesla gets attacked as a "soft target", with plenty of collateral damage. The shorts and Wall Street might be helping, but Business Insider's motivation to attack Tesla systematically could also stem from its ownership structure I believe.

Both Jeff and Elon are thinking big. Really big. Very, very big:

Screen_Shot_2017-09-29_at_10.43.48_AM.jpg

Which competition I totally support, I only wish Bezos would stop fighting dirty ...

(Assuming I'm right, which I might not be.)
they’ve def taken some jabs at each other. i wonder if bezos’ stake in BI was bought out whenthat german media company bought BI a couple years back?

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
... so was Cloud Computing when Amazon was just a book seller. But again I agree with you that Automobile and Cloud are apples and oranges, since Cloud Computing was a non-existent industry that Amazon invented.

So people are wondering what the big overlap between Amazon and Elon Musk could be. I believe it's mainly the huge, over 10,000+ satellites large Starlink constellation SpaceX is planning to launch in the next couple of years:

Starlink (satellite constellation) - Wikipedia

Those satellites will be coveted co-location Internet resources, competing with Amazon S3 on a conceptual level:
  • They are going to be physically very close to global customers, and they are going to be right next to the internet traffic of global customers. Space Internet capacity also scales so much better than fiber optics networks. (Plus space is propagating signals at the speed of light, while intercontinental fiber optic cables propagate signals at about 70% of the speed of light. So there's a significant latency advantage for global internet communications.)
  • Unlimited free energy supply (the sun)
  • Virtually unlimited expansion (space is huge), where real estate is for free in essence with a "first arrival owns it forever" rule for orbital space
  • While space is also very hostile in terms of radiation environment, and cooling is also harder, if it's solved via shielding and/or computing redundancy then this disadvantage can be mitigated to a large degree.
SpaceX will be in full control of those satellites. In a decade SpaceX could end up owning much of the global Internet data delivery infrastructure. I think that's Jeff Bezos's main worry about SpaceX.

Not impossible, but automotive is not Amazon's core competency.

I believe we have to look at the even wider historic and personal context and background: to both Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk their space companies are their real obsessions:
So I think the Tesla media reporting distortion and negative bias phenomenon @ZachShahan documented could in part be the opening skirmishes of a nasty proxy war for space.

SpaceX as a private company and as an amazing success story is much harder to attack - so Tesla gets attacked as a "soft target", with plenty of collateral damage. The shorts and Wall Street might be helping, but Business Insider's motivation to attack Tesla systematically could also stem from its ownership structure I believe.

Both Jeff and Elon are thinking big. Really big. Very, very big

Which competition I totally support, I only wish Bezos would stop fighting dirty ...

(Assuming I'm right, which I might not be.)

There's not even really a need for Blue Origin and SpaceX to compete (other than for launch contracts). Bezos is focused on living and working in near space in the Earth-Moon system. Elon is focused on Mars. Of course SpaceX can service the Earth-Moon system too, but it's not their end goal. There's no reason they have to compete, they can be complementary.

But it seems Bezos is just a competitive guy, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.