Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It absolutely cannot be due to the fact that if they make EV BMWs that look just like premium BMWs, then that would cannibalize their own premium ICE BMW sales, which sales they need to be able to build EV manufacturing capacity!

No, it must be because they ... surveyed that all EV consumers want sci-fi themed cars! ;)

BUT we do want sci-fi themed cars !
BUT they must be streamlined !
Like the S X and 3

BMW unveils its iNEXT next-gen electric crossover concept, describes it as ‘building block for the future’
Kind of looks like a jungle cat ready to swallow a zebra. Some may like the look, but I'll pass, love Tesla's styling. How can BMW reveal a M3 car competitor with absolutely no specifications (so nothing to judge them by) and a launch date of sometime in 2021. Three years from now. Come on, BWM, is that the best you can do. Gidd'y up.

That thing is gorram hideous...

Are you _sure_ BMW even wants to make EV's or PHEV's?

BMW upper management probably still doesn't "want to" make EVs, but they probably realize at this stage that they "have to", because even in Germany EV growth is insane:

Plug-In Electric Car Sales In Germany Up 23% In June

Their problem, to which I haven't seen an adequate answer yet: how do you transform a large ICE company into an EV company without cannibalizing ICE sales, while becoming competitive with pure EV companies?

Went to a party last night for a gal that was retiring. Three different people came up and wanted to talk Tesla...I happily obliged.
Two also wanted to know if I had any stock in the company.....why yes I do...do you? They did and were very excited for the next few months.

So small data point but I do believe the story of The breakout moment for Tesla is growing.

BMW upper management probably still doesn't "want to" make EVs, but they probably realize at this stage that they "have to", because even in Germany EV growth is insane:

Plug-In Electric Car Sales In Germany Up 23% In June

Their problem, to which I haven't seen an adequate answer yet: how do you transform a large ICE company into an EV company without cannibalizing ICE sales, while becoming competitive with pure EV companies?
If we think short's and the FUD spinners are bad with Tesla....imagine what happens when the legacy car company basically says no more dividend and we are going to loose massive amounts of cash while we change from only building a few EV's to going all in.

The doomsayers will have a field day. All the internet word warriors will go insane.
So instead they will sell as many ICE car's as they can while offering some cute or not so cute small batch EV's

The Mrket share will continue to drop ....they will announce...O I don't know....stop building cars (Ford except one the mustang)
Or here is our EV ...look it "shares" a lot of feature's with our ICE ( MB)

I really would not like to be the one to look the emperor in the eye and say..."your forked"

View attachment 335376 I’ll one-up multi-up you, Gene. To the left is the grass you drove all over.....
88 TeslaPoints to whoever correctly picks out our three cars.

On edit: It’s SO OBVIOUS!!!!!!!! Just use logic.
Hi Audubon, ...I am happy to see your grass has survived my driving over it, and I see your Land Cruiser that we worked on your wiring is still with you. In fact, I am happy to see you still have your lovely home. We you not selling it awhile back?

OK, so I think I can guess your three cars. 1. Land Cruiser 2. The Blue Model X, and 3. I think the red Model S next to the Blue Model X.

How did I do? Get my 88 points?

Reactions: Boomer19
The mall I have been going to since I was a kid, Del Amo Fashion Center in Torrance CA, no longer offers free L2 charging. It is now part of the EVgo network and charges $1.50/hr. There used to be 32 L2 chargers but now there are 24. Where they used to be 90% full most of the time they are now about 1/3 full.

The local "Neighborhood" Wal Mart, which is just a supermarket without the other big box product offerings, used to offer 2 free L2 chargers but removed 1.

I am becoming less and less optimistic that there will be free universal L2 chargers at retail businesses in order to attract customers. Maybe reduced cost charging like reduced cost gasoline at supermarkets.

The mall I have been going to since I was a kid, Del Amo Fashion Center in Torrance CA, no longer offers free L2 charging. It is now part of the EVgo network and charges $1.50/hr. There used to be 32 L2 chargers but now there are 24. Where they used to be 90% full most of the time they are now about 1/3 full.

The local "Neighborhood" Wal Mart, which is just a supermarket without the other big box product offerings, used to offer 2 free L2 chargers but removed 1.

I am becoming less and less optimistic that there will be free universal L2 chargers at retail businesses in order to attract customers. Maybe reduced cost charging like reduced cost gasoline at supermarkets.
I'm rather ok with that eventuality.

Destination chargers are a slightly different story.

Poolesville, Maryland, USA, about 50 miles NW of Washington DC had over 150 EV's and PHEV's on display photos look like main thhoroughfare thru town shut down, including 1 EV with a "homebrew" "fannypack" range extender, police EV motorcycle's
'apres moi, c'est deluge'
upload_2018-9-16_11-20-27.png

BMW declared a while ago that "EV owner want that their cars are recognized as an EV". I wonder where this false information is coming from. They obviously did surveys and they did them wrong. I believe that EV owner want a good looking car but not something that looks like from a SF movie. If you look at the i3 or I8 you can say that maybe a portion from the design comes from the carbon fibre material decision but there is in my view a complete misinterpretation what a consumer wants and BMW seems not to listen.

People do not need a futuristic design but a car that just works well and has great specs. I like the range they announced above 400 miles although I have strong doubts that they know how to make that happen. Maybe its a bet on the solid state battery that a lot of manufacturers here hope will come to market and be a game change. I doubt that and believe the Lithium Batteries have still a lot of improvement if not most still in them and it will be the technology that replaces ICEs in the next 2 decades.

I suspect that a lot of EV buyers do want a car that is recognizable by the general public as an EV - there is an element of the market that wants to conspicuously not consume.

However, that doesn't mean it has to look weird. I think the success of the Gen 2 Prius and the Gen 1 Insight (which both looked radically different from normal cars when they launched - that's less true today, where oil crisis and CAFE-driven design trends required Prius-esque aerodynamics out of conventional compact and midsize sedans), and failure of some hybrid conversions of conventional cars (especially the Civic, Accord, and the GM SUVs/pickups with the 2-mode hybrid system), convinced traditional automakers that they needed to go weird to attract customers to an eco-car.

The failure of the Gen 2 Insight demonstrated half of why that was utterly wrong - looking weird wasn't enough. (Why buy it when the Prius is barely more expensive, roomier, more powerful, more efficient, and has a reputation for reliability that Honda hybrids didn't have?)

The success of the Tesla Model S demonstrated the rest of why that was wrong - looking weird wasn't required. Tesla's designs are very conservative by 2010s standards, but at the same time, Tesla has elements that make their design language clear - the result is conservative, but not generic. So, just looking like a Tesla is enough to project eco-consciousness, without looking weird at all (on the exterior, anyway).

And, of course, being a good car, not just good for an eco car, helps a lot, too.

A push for L2 charging backed by solar could help

Reactions: wipster
So instead they will sell as many ICE car's as they can while offering some cute or not so cute small batch EV's

Yeah, so here is how I see the various big carmakers reacting to EVs:
  • Some are certainly serious: Nissan, Porsche, Jaguar.
  • Some are hoping that this whole lithium-ion bandwagon they badly missed is just another fad that will go out of fashion: Chrysler-Fiat, Ford, Toyota.
  • Some are trying to enter the EV market in a half-hearted way: Benz, Volkswagen and BMW.
  • Some are hoping that autonomous/self-driving will be a bigger thing than EVs and will generate the income required for the EV transition: GM.
  • Many of the traditional carmakers are hoping that solid state batteries are going to save the day. (I don't think that's true, not because solid-state batteries couldn't happen, but even if they happen EV-only carmakers are still in a much better competitive position.)
  • Most of them are primarily doing what they've been doing for the last ~10 years: kicking the can down the road.
The ones that are under direct pressure right now are the ones that Tesla competes with more directly: German premium cars mostly. Once the Model Y is out in volume I think Detroit is going to feel the heat as well, and it will probably be to
o late by then, unless GM gets to self-driving Eldorado before Tesla does.

Status
Not open for further replies.