Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Tesla Still on My “Never Sell” List? Is Tesla Still on My “Never Sell” List?
Why does every single PMS start with this disclaimer, even the pro arguments: "it would be an enormous understatement to say that the last year has been challenging for the company. Between the slower-than-planned Model 3production ramp up, mounting financial losses, and an endless drumbeat of pessimism from the short-sellers, it's little wonder that in a recent interview with The New York Times, Elon Musk described it as "the most difficult and painful year of my career."
PMS, please stop the crap. You don't need this. You are better than this. One day it will happen, but not today.

Excellent taste.

upload_2018-9-15_13-32-39.jpeg

"Car guys" typically know most everything about how their cars work and pride themselves in being able to fix them. They get together on weekends to restore old cars to near-original condition. They go to events to show off their handiwork.

EVs rob them of all that enjoyment.

That is baby boomers that enjoy vintage cars.

People that buy modern cars can't do much more than fluid,spark plugs, brake pad and belt changes.

In order to be emission compliant new powertrains are highly sophisticated machines with many computers. You need computer diagnostic machines to know what needs fixing.

Most car guys driving 2010 and newer cars wouldn't know the first thing about repairing their cars.

anybody gone to any of the National Drive Electric Week and can report back on folks there from eyewitness?
they will have statistics soon, hopefully, but....

I attended two: Golden, CO last weekend and Greeley, CO this am. Golden was well-attended, both by owners and potential EV buyers. Several S/X/3, plus various other brand vehicles there. I was there for a couple of hours and talked to a dozen sets of people, and gave several test rides. (Reactions were positive to glowing) I was busy enough there that I wasn't able to pay much attention to the conversations around the non-Tesla vehicles.

Greeley is a smaller town much further than Golden from the metro Denver area. There were 2 Ss, 2 3s, a 2018 Leaf (with dealer rep) and a Volt. Due to the layout of the event, we weren't able to provide test rides. There were also far fewer folks visiting with questions.

My takeaway from the Greeley event is that the Leaf is toast to any potential buyer who actually compares it to the base 3. This isn't news to us here, but it was crazy obvious in such a concrete setup: the Leaf was displayed in-between my 3 and another 3. Its MSRP was $37k. That's just not happening once the base 3 is readily available. IMO, they would need to get the 60 kWh version out without increasing the price in order to try to compete. I think their plan is to have it as a higher-cost option, though.

The Nissan dealer rep spent probably 30 minutes sitting in my car and an S and seemed genuinely interested. Never can tell for sure with salesmen, tho. :)

anybody gone to any of the National Drive Electric Week and can report back on folks there from eyewitness?
Well, for some reason there were no events in Syracuse or Binghamton this year, and surprisingly low numbers of people showing off their cars in Ithaca.

We've got at least a dozen Tesla owners in Ithaca but most of them are now not interested in promoting electric cars or showing off their cars and couldn't be bothered to show up. Mine was the only Model S at the show.

I suppose this is an indication of... going mainstream?

The people asking questions were an interesting mix, ranging from the "know almost nothing and are curious about EVs" to the "wearing Tesla T-shirt and hat". Three couples who already had "blind" Model 3 orders and were trying to get some information before their car arrived.

I am a car guy in that I taught auto tech and have wrenched race cars including a formula 5000 in 1972. I saw the future immediately when Tesla became available and now own MS vin 23**. I have a friend who could well afford any Tesla and owns 3 Mustangs of various performance pedigrees. I finally got him to take a test drive in a new S. He liked it but will not buy one. He said "it's not my dream". I think that is the problem for many old gas owners. They can't let go of the past and they are trapped in a hardware dream rather than a performance based dream. Those dreams die hard and I believe are the reason we see such nutty prices being paid for old muscle cars which were junk when new have even less value on merit now.

I still have a soft spot for my 641/2 Mustang, 68 440 Plymouth GTX and my 71 Jag XKE (the only one I wish I still had). But I went through children work etc only to become a retired teenager again in my S

Attended the Allentown, PA event last weekend. It was a cold and rainy day yet there were many participants. Crowds were good for the day but my time there was only about an hour. The model 3 was the most represented with 7 in attendance. There was a prototype Ipace that drew good attention though it wasn't my interest. I drove for about an hour and 20 minutes to attend and get up close with a 3. For me, a high mileage driver, without a charging network of some sort, other brands just cant compare to a Tesla. List of those registered as attending were:

Tesla Model 3 7
Tesla Model S 6
Chevrolet Volt 4
Nissan Leaf (2018) 2
BMW i3 1
Chevrolet Bolt 1
Chevy Spark EV 1
Fiat 500e 1
Ford C-MAX Energi 1
Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid 1
Jaguar I-Pace 1
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 1
Tesla Model X 1
Toyota Prius Prime 1
Zero Motorcycle 1

I found this write up after the event by the coordinator, James.

Despite being one of the coldest and rainiest days of the season we had an impressive turnout. EV owners are passionate and resilient and will do whatever it takes to share their knowledge and experiences driving electric. Many great conversations took place educating non-EV owners about charging, driving fun, cost savings etc.

We had great representation from Tesla owners with Model S, X and 3. We also had a unique and rare opportunity to have a prototype Jaguar I-PACE at our event. Not only was it on display, but was available for test drives. 18 of the 40+ test drives given were in the I-PACE. Many other makes and models of BEV and PHEV vehicles were present providing a well-rounded event. We also had a few visitors show up with their EV’s from seeing our signs and flags.

0869.jpeg

I've participated in three events. At one I gave a dozen different people the opportunity to drive my Model 3, with several others as passengers. At the other two, which did not allow drives, I gave rides to a dozen or so people in my Model S. Tomorrow I'll bring both cars to an event that promotes driving EVs and probably have several dozen new drivers. Getting a new EV driver into a Tesla and watching their reaction as they drive it is terrific fun!

My impression so far is that attendance is a bit down from previous years. I think the fact that EVs are becoming much more common means that these events aren't nearly as necessary. Going through the usual channels to drive an EV isn't that difficult any more, at least here in California.

Why does every single PMS start with this disclaimer, even the pro arguments: "it would be an enormous understatement to say that the last year has been challenging for the company. Between the slower-than-planned Model 3production ramp up, mounting financial losses, and an endless drumbeat of pessimism from the short-sellers, it's little wonder that in a recent interview with The New York Times, Elon Musk described it as "the most difficult and painful year of my career."
PMS, please stop the crap. You don't need this. You are better than this. One day it will happen, but not today.
I think this is a positive article and why you only cut and pasted the first paragraph? Did you read the whole article? Why are you so mad? Keep the crap word for yourself?

I try not to pass judgement on car styles, since taste is so subjective. But, C'MON, the new BMW iNext is truly ugly. Like, objectively ugly.

Every time the traditional car makers unveils their electric cars I keep wondering if they are purposely trying not to sell these things. As if they are trying to plant into consumers' minds that electric cars are weird, stay away.

I think this is a positive article and why you only cut and pasted the first paragraph? Did you read the whole article? Why are you so mad? Keep the crap word for yourself?
LoveTSLA, Please forgive my four letter word. Yes, I read the full article and the overall article is very positive. I'm not mad, just dissappointed in the Media. My point is why can't the Media write an article unabashedly positive without first restating Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. Unfortunately many people would not get past the first paragraph of this article, as it reinforces their false narrative which is what they want to hear. Why is it there. It is not needed. I hope I have made my point more clear.

Last edited:
I try not to pass judgement on car styles, since taste is so subjective. But, C'MON, the new BMW iNext is truly ugly. Like, objectively ugly.

Every time the traditional car makers unveils their electric cars I keep wondering if they are purposely trying not to sell these things. As if they are trying to plant into consumers' minds that electric cars are weird, stay away.
BMW unveils its iNEXT next-gen electric crossover concept, describes it as ‘building block for the future’
Kind of looks like a jungle cat ready to swallow a zebra. Some may like the look, but I'll pass, love Tesla's styling. How can BMW reveal a M3 car competitor with absolutely no specifications (so nothing to judge them by) and a launch date of sometime in 2021. Three years from now. Come on, BWM, is that the best you can do. Gidd'y up.

BMW unveils its iNEXT next-gen electric crossover concept, describes it as ‘building block for the future’
Kind of looks like a jungle cat ready to swallow a zebra. Some may like the look, but I'll pass, love Tesla's styling. How can BMW reveal a M3 car competitor with absolutely no specifications (so nothing to judge them by) and a launch date of sometime in 2021. Three years from now. Come on, BWM, is that the best you can do. Gidd'y up.
So far it appears they ( the legacy car companies) cant or wont. They have had several years and all we have so far are half attempts and power point cars.

Until I see a concentrated effort with a world wide charging network I dont believe they are serious.

Lots of negative delivery experiences will hit the headlines eventually. It’s important to keep in mind that these are growing pains. I’d be shocked if any significant # decide to not get a Tesla due to a bad delivery experience. Plus, we don’t hear of the thousands of good experiences each week.

Next will be the service centers. I can’t imagine Tesla is going to be able to keep up with the service demand, not to mention parts availability for the body shops.

With TSLA, it’s so crucial to decipher what is fundamentally material to the company, and what is not. Complexities with the X ramp was.....Elon taking a toke is not.

agree. i’ve read some of the threads. my 9/17 delivery just got delayed. by 8/24 it was produced and on truck to rail yard. later found out it didn’t get shipped until a week or so ago so it must have been in holding lot for ~ 2 weeks. this correlated with some other experiences i’ve read in model 3 forums. as of today it’s in baltimore and it’s final destination is mt kisco. they’ll let me know monday, possibly, of a new expected delivery date. if not then shortly thereafter. i’m guessing a week delay in total.

i kind of expected to not have monday as delivery date. i assumed this would be delayed bc of the mayhem going on. i wouldn’t chalk it up to a bad delivery experience yet.
i will say that my friends (also my area) that got the white int P model had a much more efficient process. they were 4 weeks from prod to deliv and that was a month ago. it’s easy to use the P as an example because they had a clearly defined prod start date and one can see the migration of those deliveries from west to east. ( and there’s a lot less of them)

now that the black int Ps have started over the last month in bulk, and i assume more volume with the awd coming east as well, the efficiency hasn’t maintained but actually dropped a few points.
they are obviously working on this.
i hope its worked out soon as an investor. bc like i said in an earlier post, people that are new to tesla are much less tolerant than those like me who have followed for years, and also who have friends that have had early model tesla vehicles and have witnessed their experiences. i don’t think we have to worry yet, so i’m not being alarmist, and i don’t believe tesla is being complacent, obviously.
if the same exact logistical problems are going on 3 months from now, i may begin to worry.
i won’t worry if logistical issues arise when they start doing overseas deliv, that’s a new/different set of use cases. theywill have to work those out too.
i guess i just think that prod to delivery (east coast is clearly the example use case for me) going from 4 weeks to 5 weeks.... i hope it’s a temporary hiccup. and then they should go back to 4 weeks, then 3 hopefully. between that and the communication of the progress to customers..we need to see iteratative improvements. and i think all will be fine.

Last edited:
My drive electric week event seemed much smaller than a couple years ago, both in terms of owners attending and people visiting. I did see some interesting vehicles though, including three Fiat 500e's (in the midwest!!), a converted EV Chevy Camaro,

On the flip side, we had more than one drive electric week event which is different than in years past.

Status
Not open for further replies.