Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would actually completely agree with you here. In the Midwest, we have limited sunshine, tornados, etc. A larger hours with a new roof runs $10 to $16k. I don't see why anyone would pay double for solar panels. It just makes no sense when our electric bills are fairly cheap per KW due to nuclear or coal power.

Tag team trolling, huh, novel concept:confused:

Fire Away!

Totally spitballing here but what if, after the yuuuge profitability of Q3, Tesla announces an immediate and substantial stock buy-back? That would hasten the much-anticipated squeeze, although from a strictly operational perspective it mightn't be easy to justify
Nothing is more important than rapid growth for Tesla. If the spend money on buybacks they will not have as much capital to grow as possible. It is going to cost a pretty penny to build factories across the world and scale the delivery, SC, service networks to handle the extra volume. The slower they achieve their goals the more chance there is of competitors catching up and the further away they are from their stated goal of making transport sustainable.

What do they get from a share buyback? A higher stock price...that will happen anyway.

Nothing is more important than rapid growth for Tesla. If the spend money on buybacks they will not have as much capital to grow as possible. It is going to cost a pretty penny to build factories across the world and scale the delivery, SC, service networks to handle the extra volume. The slower they achieve their goals the more chance there is of competitors catching up and the further away they are from their stated goal of making transport sustainable.

What do they get from a share buyback? A higher stock price...that will happen anyway.
Look, I promise I understand all that. I did say spitballing AND admitted it prob doesn't make operational sense.

But Elon is sly like a fox, and I wouldn't put anything past him. It's a fun daydream on this beautiful end-of-Q3 weekend

+1. They can buyback stock years from now when Tesla is a mature company.

Any available cash should be utilized for accelerating Model Y to market along with your points.

Now this is ironic, not a peep from the media? And this is a worldwide actual recall on the brakes?

BMW recalls vehicles worldwide because of potential problems with the brake lines - China Certification – CCC mark certificate (3C) for China – Your expert for China Compulsory Certification

umm, welcome to the 21st century Bimmer, where’s over the Air Updates, still stuck in the dinosaur age?

Nissan recalls over 215,000 crossovers and sedans for fire risk

Owners advised to park their cars away from other cars and structures.

You mean a gas tank can leak after a collision?

Car recalled over fault that can increase risk of fire after collision

Also interesting that I’m not seeing any mention by the media of Musk’s tweet about existing customers helping with deliveries. I was thinking it would be put out and spun as FUD, about Tesla not having money or some such thing, but I guess it also would admit high demand and customer enthusiasm, so it’s radio silence outside Electrek and the like.

Buying at ridiculous discount prices.

Totally spitballing here but what if, after the yuuuge profitability of Q3, Tesla announces an immediate and substantial stock buy-back? That would hasten the much-anticipated squeeze, although from a strictly operational perspective it mightn't be easy to justify
Buy-back is for CEO's with a shed load of cash and no ideas (no idea?:rolleyes:) don't think that applies with one E Musk in charge;)

True story... I had a dream last night where we had a short squeeze start - timing wasn't clear though. Trouble was that the only device I had to connect to the Internet was though my Paperwhite Kindle - which was, in this case, in colour - yeah I know, dreams...

Anyway, the key point is that the initial peak SP was $1353, if I remember it well, and I was super-stressed because my first sell order is higher than that, but I could access my account to adapt.

Actually, come think of it, not a dream, but a nightmare! And definitely not an advice.

Tales From Da Hood, Part 1

We've had our M3 for three months. My better half uses our M3 as her daily commute and I take public transit. I do get to use it on the weekends! Last Wednesday I got a treat to use our M3 to drive to my company's annual golf tourney and she took the ICE. Well, I come back home late in the evening and find our ICE car in the driveway with the lights on and the engine running with no one in sight. After entering the house I say "ummm...honey, did you forget something?" Not a clue. When I mentioned the ICE was running outside she mused "Why the heck can't that car turn them it off by itself?"

My turn was today. I haven't driven the ICE in two months, however it was move day for a family member and we have a 8 passenger ICE SUV which quite frankly does carry a lot of stuff. Two full trips back and forth loaded to the brim did the job. But I was amazed at all the noise. It was coming from under the hood, It was coming from underneath the seat. It was coming out the tail pipe of the car, I found it annoyingly exhausting. And when stopped the car still lurches forward when I don't have my foot on the brake. Why would it do that if I am at a red light? And unresponsive, it seemed to be changing gears all the time. The worst part was every time I passed a Tesla, and there were many, I had to hide my face out of embarrassment. "This isn't really me", I would say. "I am one of you. I believe. I BELIEVE." And then I notice the fuel tank was low and I had to go to the gas station for the first time in three months and realized how messy and uncomfortable I felt, not to mention paying close to $100, to pour liquid fossil fuel to slosh around in a tank. While leaning against the ICE, I felt the car actually lower with the weight of it all. When I got home I still had that stink on my hands from the pump, so I had to take a shower with a lot of soap. Dang, I used to love driving that ICE. What happened?

Edit: Tesla happened.

I remember the first time I had to drive my wife's car after getting my P85 back in March 2014 - I was absolutely terrified. All the levers and buttons, I was so stressed-out. I drove like a blind geriatric, forgetting to change gear, nearly crashing because there was no regen, leaving the engine running when you step out of the vehicle...

In the meantime I've learned to drive it again, for the few times per year I'm forced to do so - the trick is to relax and try not to overthink it.

Can't wait until wifey gets her Model 3 - although we might roll it into a Model Y yet...

Guys, let's be realistic:
  • IF Q3 is going to be profitable, it's probably going to be by a small margin. All Street estimates are predicting a loss in Q3 currently, and it's bullish analysts with frequent buy recommendations...
  • Previously Elon defined the break even point at 5k/week sustained, but Q3 guidance is around 4k/week. They evidently do think they can manage it, but it's not a slam dunk by any means, and a "yuuuuge" profit is unlikely.
  • It's an entirely possible outcome that Tesla makes a narrow GAAP loss in Q3 but becomes cash flow positive and increases cash equivalents.
  • Stock buyback is going to happen in the form of paying back convertible notes in cash, instead of paying them in new shares. In March 2019 there's $920m such convertible notes to pay, and Tesla needs to save cash to pay those.
Any other form of stock buyback is wishful thinking.

Narrow Q3 profitability and positive cash flow would be huge results already, which falsify 80%-90% of the short thesis variants I've seen so far.

The 5k M3 figure is well known, of course, but at what specification and margin? Seeing the stampede for high-spec cars over the last two months, it makes me wonder if we don't have a pleasant surprise waiting for us. Added to that to previously discussed ZEV's...

One week, folks, one week...

Last edited:
Glad to see the Europe Tilburg facilities are growing significantly. Thats expected for the Europe final assembly line of the 3 starting first half of next year.

We Europeans will get a taste of the crazy delivery events you already experience in the US. It will also help to smoothen out the entire process globally and increase capacity in final assembly.

I am expecting the high margin models to be delivered first. That will create high margin, high revenue and with the top end model delivered reviewed and talked about also new demand.

Tesla's new Tilburg site hints at new storage and parts center ahead of Model 3 EU push

I am guessing that 2019H1 will see large-scale sales of the Model 3 in Europe:
1) 19 Model 3 VINs registered recently, apparently for Europe,
2) large number of open Tesla Sales positions (esp. German speaking) in Europe only exceeded by American ones,
3) 2019H1 sees the end of substantial BEV incentives in Germany + Austria.

4) Tesla's presence at its main EU location in Tilburg, NL is being extended with a 36k m^2 warehouse for replacement parts a few hundred meters from their other buildings:

Tesla's new Tilburg site hints at new storage and parts center ahead of Model 3 EU push

I remember the first time I had to drive my wife's car after getting my P85 back in March 2014 - I was absolutely terrified. All the levers and buttons, I was so stressed-out. I drove like a blind geriatric, forgetting to change gear, nearly crashing because there was no regen, leaving the engine running when you step out of the vehicle...

In the meantime I've learned to drive it again, for the few times per year I'm forced to do so - the trick is to relax and try not to overthink it.

Can't wait until wifey gets her Model 3 - although we might roll it into a Model Y yet...

I have a similar experience. Some time after getting my Model S I had to drive my son to Ghent with our Prius, and on the highway I was thinking the car was broken, because it had absolutely no accelleration. When I got home my wife (who drives the Prius daily) checked it out and concluded that nothing was wrong with the Prius, that’s how it always was.

Can’t wait till my wife has her Model 3. We have three cars, since our kids also once in a while need a car. Should I let them drive the old Prius, or should I buy a second Model 3 (I have a second reservation just in case I decide to go for that option). By the time my wife gets her 3, my Model S company car will be close to written off (fiscally), it might be more appropriate to buy a Model X refresh as a new company cae (and keep the S).

Forget the stock buyback, I’m dreaming that Tesla is going to build more service centers with that money, because otherwise this business plan is not sustainable. The exponential part of the ramp is great until those cars need to be serviced in addition to cars from as far back as 2012. I don’t see how Tesla can service all these cars. Each year, there will be a half million or greater new cars on the road but the same number of service centers. Something doesn’t add up. Explain to me how this is going to work please...
They are going to train and deploy significant number of Tesla rangers.

Tesla solved problem with battery+BMS, motors reliability by 2017, you don't see serious complains about latest model S anymore.
There are of course inevitable problems due accidents and fatigue failures of chassis elements. These are handled by certified repair shops for now and apparently by special Tesla repair shops in some future. While Tesla definitely has to make some serious efforts in this direction
it is not as dramatic as people claim. Most of the serious defects in Tesla model S were in outsourced components (door locks, motors etc.), Tesla solved it by bringing design and their building in house.
Pretty much everything else can be fixed by rangers which can cover significant areas and much more flexible in deployment.

Money and time expenses required by "Service expansion hell" though will be significant.

I have a similar experience. Some time after getting my Model S I had to drive my son to Ghent with our Prius, and on the highway I was thinking the car was broken, because it had absolutely no accelleration. When I got home my wife (who drives the Prius daily) checked it out and concluded that nothing was wrong with the Prius, that’s how it always was.

Can’t wait till my wife has her Model 3. We have three cars, since our kids also once in a while need a car. Should I let them drive the old Prius, or should I buy a second Model 3 (I have a second reservation just in case I decide to go for that option). By the time my wife gets her 3, my Model S company car will be close to written off (fiscally), it might be more appropriate to buy a Model X refresh as a new company cae (and keep the S).

Forgot about the acceleration, probably because there was none :eek:

We're thinking to keep our wife's C-Max for the kids to use as a run-about when they start driving. Girls are nearly 15, son is nearly 12.

I lease my Teslas, then it's just a cost in the books. Previous P85 was traded back to Tesla (with €30k profit back form the lease as first payment for the new one). I'm planning to buy my Model X at then end of the lease as I can't imagine getting a Roadster 2 for at least 5 years from here.

Forget the stock buyback, I’m dreaming that Tesla is going to build more service centers with that money, because otherwise this business plan is not sustainable. The exponential part of the ramp is great until those cars need to be serviced in addition to cars from as far back as 2012. I don’t see how Tesla can service all these cars. Each year, there will be a half million or greater new cars on the road but the same number of service centers. Something doesn’t add up. Explain to me how this is going to work please...

They are going to train and deploy significant number of Tesla rangers.

Tesla solved problem with battery+BMS, motors reliability by 2017, you don't see serious complains about latest model S anymore.

Yeah, and we should also remember how mindbogglingly simple EVs are mechanically and power-train wise. Here are the top 10 ICE car repairs of 2015 in the U.S., ordered by frequency:

960x0-1_jpg_grande.png

Only the fourth service cost is even remotely applicable to EVs, and it's the cheapest one at $15 - most other items are several hundred dollars expensive. Just consider the economic significance of this list: literally 99.4% of the top 10 service costs (which add up to $3,318) do not apply to the Model 3.

The high service costs of ICE cars comes from the physics of ICE power-trains:
  • A modern ICE power-train has thousands of moving parts - while Teslas have less than 20 (!)
  • A modern ICE engine has an extremely high temperature combustion process running at 600-800°C, generating 10 times as much waste heat as an EV generates. The higher the temperature, the more efficient gasoline combustion becomes - which creates an inevitable trade-off conflict, as high temperatures strain components and generate corrosion much faster. An EV not only generates much less heat, the temperatures are permanently lower as well, across the board: basically only the brake system gets hotter than 100°C - which brake system is avoided in a lot of normal driving scenarios where regenerative braking can be utilized.
And yes, we can bring examples of very reliable ICE cars like lower end Toyotas - but these tend to be simple ICE car designs not really competitive with Tesla in any fashion anymore. None of the ICE cars in Tesla's price and engine power range are simple.

The Model 3 has also been simplified with service costs in mind: no Falcon Wing Doors, no complex self-presenting door handles, no sunroof, using easier to cool PM motors, using a re-designed battery pack, etc. etc - and the cherry on top is a very clever minimalist interior design that also happens to reduce manufacturing and servicing costs and increases vehicle life time. Car interiors tend to age the fastest.

I believe in a few decades the Model 3 will be taught in business school as an example of modern manufacturing breakthroughs.

So yes, certain versions of the Model S had service cost problems, but that was not really an inherent property of the EV concept, it was more like a side effect of the aggressive innovation cycle and learning curve Tesla went through as a newcomer to the automotive industry.

Note that early Model 3 batches obviously have a higher chance of being more service intense, and there's inevitably going to be recalls - but with the Model 3 I think we are going to see the first high-volume demonstration of how good EVs really are, in terms of significantly reduced service costs.

Once consumers realize this Tesla might have to start auctioning off Model 3's to the highest bidder, until they are able to increase manufacturing volume. Note that the current high-margin-first staggered introduction of Model 3 variants is already essentially a Dutch auction process in disguise.

Last edited:
Sure, a lot of us are doing awesome!!!

View attachment 337290
big hint: ever hear of "buy and hold" or "Dollar cost average"
if you are in Tesla for the long haul, don't trade and try to "eek out miniscule gains", you lose to everybody. HFT's, cheaters, AI's
if i had not been such a "smart arrogant whippersnapper trader", and just held my 300 shares of MSFT, i would have 86,400 shares, and 16,800 shares of AAPL, but i was "too damn smart" (or even my AMER that became AOL that split ~128:1 before going 'poof')
don't look at a daily chart, look at long term charts. Everytime i look and act at daily's, i get burned to a crisp, except IOM in may 1996 when i sold during a vertical price spike because i had 1-2 minutes to react at the brokers office terminal.
my kids will inherit my even number of TSLA, so my grandkids can use the shares to pay for rides on the BFR to be colonists.
Just stop trading, reduce volatility, recall shares, close options, etc.
gambling is fun, the house always wins, just get the cheap steaks or dinners
--->>Accumulate. <<-----
Either way you look at the graph, linear or log scale, long term, it's UP, short term is just noise created by __________.
upload_2018-9-23_7-13-28.png

Also interesting that I’m not seeing any mention by the media of Musk’s tweet about existing customers helping with deliveries. I was thinking it would be put out and spun as FUD, about Tesla not having money or some such thing, but I guess it also would admit high demand and customer enthusiasm, so it’s radio silence outside Electrek and the like.

The cynic in me says that the Danas and Davids are waiting for the next business day on Monday, to generate negative headlines with the biggest impact. They might also be torn whether to spin it negatively: even a negative story will inform a lot of people about this event and might turn them into helpers or, in the most horrifying of outcomes, buyers of Tesla products that improves Q3 results. Not good.

Decisions, decisions ...

Incorrect, due to the false info in the tweet...many of us made investing decisions that afternoon and in the days after that caused substantial losses. I wish I had not moved funds around but I had to because of how my long term options were affected. I am still down from what he did that day. If he hadn't tweeted and we just had the Q2 earnings - it would be fine. Why defend such terrible behavior by a CEO? It might not have cost him much, but it did cost shorts and longs alike. I would definitely say he owes his investors but I definitely don't want anymore of his brand of help!
SO, don't do options. It's not a casino.
Do you actually think you are guaranteed profits? with options? that leverage both gains and losses.
Did you read your brokerage disclosures?

mine says --->>"sophisticated<<-- traders" who know what they are doing.
(i don't to options)
you made a -->gamble<--,
you also enhanced stock price volatility, a big negative
you lost

What are you showing us? The numbers don’t match with Tesla’s SP. It isn’t down 19%, 33% and 31% over a period of 1M, 3M and 12M.

So IIRC @Zhelko Dimic (genuine careful bull and long time member) felt forced to rearrange his portfolio on the going-private tweets and news, and also increased his stake in Tesla and rearranged so he could follow Tesla private even if the going-private agreement is retroactive, which magnified his draw-down percentage.

So I can very well understand the frustration, and if it's any consolation: even in hindsight it was the correct move I think, yet Elon managed to not deliver the one time it seemed almost certain that he would... Highly annoying.

I think the worst is either largely over, or, should Tesla fail to deliver in Q3/Q4, yet to come. :confused:

At this point the dice have been rolled already, all we are waiting for is for the Q3 dice cup to be lifted...

Status
Not open for further replies.