Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was not to take a jab. But just to point out that ones point of view of when and if a recession is coming could be skewed based on how they feel the current leadership is doing or if there is a huge macro risks caused by things like impeachment. If I believed that, I would be much more inclined to anticipate a recession. Much of a recession is caused by uncertainty. It's kind of a chain reaction where uncertainty spreads like wildfire and shapes peoples actions. People and companies hunker down to ride out the storm. Some don't survive and that leads to more opportunity for those that are strong enough to survive. Tesla basically got a free factory and sightly used stamping press out of the last recession. If recession hit today, Tesla might not make it. In two years or more, they could be positioned very well.
The presidency, tariffs, tax incentives can all change in 2-3 years, some will almost definitely. trust that Tesla has a longer view on their growth plan than 2-3 years, and investors should have longer time horizons also.

The presidency, tariffs, tax incentives can all change in 2-3 years, some will almost definitely. trust that Tesla has a longer view on their growth plan than 2-3 years, and investors should have longer time horizons also.

I was only referencing the time frame for recession. I was actually saying that Tesla would be fine in a recession. So my long term view is actually more bullish. I was specifically referencing tariffs, impeachment and tax incentives as threats to Tesla if the recession comes sooner because of the trade war and uncertainty around impeachment. I just feel it is better if Tesla is able to fulfill demand before the recession hurts demand.

Edit: to be clear. I have a greater then 2 year Outlook for recession. Tesla has a lot of work to do in the next 2 years. I believe they can do it.

Edit: to be clear. I have a greater then 2 year Outlook for recession. Tesla has a lot of work to do in the next 2 years. I believe they can do it.

Hi Re, I’m genuinely interested in your viewpoint that a recession will not hit us within the next 2 years. I share this sentiment as well and I’m interested in why you think this is the case? If possible can you expand your thoughts? From your experience are you aware of any meaningful signs of an economy headed towards a recession so that I can add it to my list of things to watch out for?

Antonio M. Sacconaghi - Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. LLC

Thank you. That's helpful. So is the – $3.5 billion and the greater than 50% to Model 3, is that going to complete all the required equipment to get us to 10,000 a week at the end of the year or are we still going to have incremental capital expenditures? "

Deepak Ahuja - Tesla, Inc.

To sort of finish off your first thought or question, no, we will still have further investments in 10,000 per week capacity of Model 3 happening next year, as a lot of that will be concluded next year. There's always a lag in our cash outflow, and while we continue to test the equipment and verify it. So that'll continue in 2019.

You should re listen to it. That investment was for 5k -10k/w and Y.

Here's a transcript from SA.
Rest of payoff of current 3 equipment, additional 3 equipment for 10k (amount discussed elsewhere), Y line, TE.

Antonio M. Sacconaghi - Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. LLC

Yes. Thank you. You commented in the shareholder letter that capital expenditures for 2018 were expected to be a bit higher than 2017. I'm wondering if you could tell us what exactly is in that, call it roughly, $3.5 billion. Are you going to get to full like 10,000 car per week capacity? Is that in the $3.5 billion? What will Gigafactory production be? And in the slightly more than $3.4 billion, is that also including the investments, Elon, that you mentioned on Model Y? So where exactly is this level of capital spending going to take us in 2018? And I have a follow-up, please.

Sure. I mean, our biggest – our very high level, sort of breakdown, our biggest investment is obviously in the Model 3. And that includes completion of the payments that we still have to make on the capacity we are putting in place now as well as significant investment in our required up front for the next phase of Model 3 production to 10,000 plus per week. So that's, I would say, overall more than 50%. Way more than 50% is Model 3, and the rest is all the many other things we talked about, whether it's energy storage, whether it's -

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

Primarily Y and energy storage.

And then our infrastructure spend, superchargers, stores, service centers, we want to significantly increase the service capacity, we want to significantly increase our supercharging capacity.

Yeah.

So all of those pieces then add up to the total spend.

Yeah. Just to give some sort of flavor for optimism on Model Y for a minute. I think – Model Y, I think, we might aim for something like maybe capacity of 1 million units a year, something like that, just for Model Y alone. And I think we'll be able to do that for CapEx that is less than the Model 3 CapEx at the $0.5 million. So probably – I think we can probably improve CapEx by a factor of 2. Not a promise, but that's my gut feel on Model Y CapEx, just to give you a flavor for my level of optimism on improvements on the manufacturing front

Continues with less useful info posted above...

"I see them earning around 500-600 mil per quarter at 5000 per week. I’m guessing you think they need close to 10k per week to be cash flow positive?"

Nope. Even if they earned 8,000 per car with M3 (which I think is already quite optimistic) this would bring in about half a bn per quarter. And that won‘t cover their losses. And the SG&A costs, the capex and the interet expense are climbing further.
Math: 8000 per week * 13 = 5.5 billion. Check your zeros when you invest or your investment might be worth zero.
This quarter regarding 2500, yes it’s important. If they are around 2000 to 2500 end of month, but appear on track for 3500 to 5000 in Q2, I think the stock will run up. Model S/X in Q1 is likely to be about below 25,000 as they refill the pipeline, but based on vin count, I think they are building closer to 30,000 per quarter. If, and big if, they reach 4000 in Q2 and enter over 2000, that’s about 40,000 Model 3’s and 27000 S/X, that’s 5 billion in revenue.

Reactions: sundaymorning
True but one has to ask if the goal of the recent poster is to just create chatter that will be picked up by algobots which will hence trade accordingly-- in the trading world, the product is the trade and difference on the trade.
Another aside, one cannot be so sure that the poster is indeed a bot themselves, or for that matter if i'm a bot as well.
Welcome to our brave new world...
Lighten up. Long term the stock may follow or anticipate performance, but it will track performance. Don’t bet against Elon and don’t worry about those who do. He’s committed to making Tesla the biggest car company. I think he’ll do it, as he has already done with SpaceX.

Hi Re, I’m genuinely interested in your viewpoint that a recession will not hit us within the next 2 years. I share this sentiment as well and I’m interested in why you think this is the case? If possible can you expand your thoughts? From your experience are you aware of any meaningful signs of an economy headed towards a recession so that I can add it to my list of things to watch out for?

I have a few times.. VA and I have went back and forth a few times. But in simplest terms, I'm watching employment very closely. People think because we are at 4.1% that we are at full employment. But what happened in the great recession, about 6 million people left the job market entirely. They gave up looking or the jobs they found where not enough to keep them in the market. This is basically missing from the unemployment rate and there are a large number of people in the age range where they would be expected to earn regular wages, so not super young people or old people. As this group shrinks then wage pressure will start and that will be an issue. In general, a little inflation is good. I hope the fed allows some inflation until at least half of those 6 million come back into the job market. You should actually start to see the unemployment rate tick up and it will be positive. People being comfortable switching jobs and more people coming back into the job market. There are still concerns, because it's not trivial to leave the job market for 8+ years and come back. Employers are going to have to kick in with training programs. But as the economy finally heats up, due mostly to tax cuts and less regulation, employers will need to do things to fill open positions.

To me, two years is a minimum. Could very well be 3+. Just depends on how fast this happens. To fast and rates will need to rise quicker. To slow and well, someone will pass laws to screw it all up. Or start a trade war.

Economies of scale do not exist when there is no scale. Tesla itself stated that they have to invest a further 3,5-4 bn this year to get to 5,000/week. This will cost additional depreciation etc.
Can you point to where they said this? It completely disagrees with my own recollection. It looks like ir.tesla.com is down at the moment, but I will try to find exactly what they DID say, but my recollection is that they said more like "we already have everything we need to ramp up to 5000/week".

edit: others found stuff already. Thanks. Even Teslie refuted his own words.

Last edited:
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Can you point to where they said this? It completely disagrees with my own recollection. It looks like ir.tesla.com is down at the moment, but I will try to find exactly what they DID say, but my recollection is that they said more like "we already have everything we need to ramp up to 5000/week".

edit: others found stuff already. Thanks. Even Teslie refuted his own words.
See mongo’s reply, immediately after teslie. He snipped out the relevant part of the quote and mongo added the full question and response.

Hint: your recollection was right.

Gene Munster & Loup Ventures Expect Tesla Market Share To Triple To 1.5% Soon, Rise To 17% In 10 Years (USA) | CleanTechnica

One of the most famed Apple analysts, Gene Munster, has recently turned his attention to Tesla. Munster’s firm, Loup Ventures, “surveyed 519 people in the U.S. regarding interest in buying a Tesla Model 3 … [and] found a surprisingly high number (17%) of people would buy a Model 3 at $40,000. Even if this survey is off by 3x, the results still imply significant market share gains are in store for Tesla given their current U.S. unit market share is below 0.5%.”

Even though any first-time survey has its limitations, Munster acknowledges that the insights are “still valuable” for future projections. He predicts, “Longer-term (10 yrs from now) we believe Tesla can capture 17% of the U.S. auto market share, consistent with our survey results … [although] it’s easy for someone to say they’re going to spend $40,000 and harder for them to actually do it. Our optimism regarding this initial survey is based on dialing back the intent to buy by 60%, which would still indicate significant market share gains.”

So, what does all this mean? According to Munster, “Expect Tesla market share to increase from 0.5% to 1.5%. As of the end of Dec-17 Tesla has delivered 1,772 Model 3s. We expect 14k in the Mar-18 quarter and 168k deliveries in 2018, with a 70% chance they actually hit those numbers. … If we assume Model 3 deliveries are heavily weighted (70%) in the U.S. initially, and that Tesla delivers the net preorders over the next two years, we expect Tesla (Model 3, S and X) to make up 1.5% of all cars sold in the U.S.”

Mod: This should be a needless comment, but clearly isn't. All users must remain civil and unsnippy. Be prepared to back up things that are stated as facts, one way or the other. Falsehoods, especially repeated ones, will not be tolerated for very long. --ggr
whatever... stop pretending to mod this board. this is a propaganda group.

Status
Not open for further replies.