Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeking Alpha shorts are LIVID over the settlement.

If I was short I'd be sweating bullets too: even with the SEC backwind going 33-34 million shares short into Q3 deliveries was nuts already IMO, and now the SEC settlement removes the cloud of uncertainty not just from Elon, but Tesla as well?

Note how the trolls here crawled back into their holes as well.

It's insane to be short $TSLA right now IMO, and I'd not be surprised if saner shorts covered on Monday in droves, to at least avoid the Q3 deliveries rally.

feels-good-man.jpg

Dude, you owe me a keyboard!! :D

You won't find out about profits for another month.

Nothing stopping them from saying something in the shareholder delivery report, is there?

Yeah, and they frequently write forward looking production disclosures and even financial disclosures into the delivery reports.

For example the Q2 delivery report included these bits:

"We also reaffirm our guidance for positive GAAP net income and cash flow in Q3 and Q4, despite negative pressures from a weaker USD and likely higher tariffs for vehicles imported into China as well as components procured from China."
The Q1 delivery report said:

"Tesla continues to target a production rate of approximately 5,000 units per week in about three months, laying the groundwork for Q3 to have the long-sought ideal combination of high volume, good gross margin and strong positive operating cash flow. As a result, Tesla does not require an equity or debt raise this year, apart from standard credit lines."​

The Q4/2017 delivery report talked about the 5k/week by the end of June target for the first time:

"We intend to achieve the 5,000 per week milestone by the end of Q2."​

So it's routine for Tesla to include language in the delivery report that reaffirms/refines/modifies guidance for and beyond that quarter. Also, obviously, delivery and production numbers are very important in estimating Q3 financials, so for example analysts who conservatively expected 50k deliveries would probably have to increase their estimates, and it's also very, very hard to not estimate Tesla as cash flow positive in Q3 with ~78k-80k deliveries. Most of the honest bear estimates I've seen are negative because they expect a significant delivery miss.

But technically Tesla is not obligated to disclose financials related information, and they'd be free to just disclose the record high production and delivery numbers, and leave financials for the Q3 quarterly report - so we won't know for sure until the Q3 delivery report is released.

Some posters here speculated about the possibility of an early Monday release of the delivery report. It is possible in principle if their accountants work overnight from Sunday to Monday, but it looks like a stretch to me: Tesla has never before released a delivery report on the first day of the new quarter - the fastest was the second day of the quarter. But maybe they've upgraded their delivery reporting process and want to surprise us with a super fast report?

A release on early Tuesday (at around 9am) or late Tuesday (at around 4-5pm) looks like the most probable date to me, judging by historic patterns. If there's no report on Tuesday then 9am release on Wednesday is very probable, at the latest.

Of all the people to support Elon, wasn't expecting this

Newt Gingrich on Twitter

In all likelihood, he's just trying to damage the notion, believed by left-leaning people, that the government can and does do good by pointing out how poorly it's treating one of the left's favorite stars. He can broaden his appeal to the left while not alienating the right because he's repeating right-wing talking points. That's actually pretty clever.

In all likelihood, he's just trying to damage the notion, believed by left-leaning people, that the government can and does do good by pointing out how poorly it's treating one of the left's favorite stars. He can broaden his appeal to the left while not alienating the right because he's repeating right-wing talking points. That's actually pretty clever.
That or he drives a Tesla.

Man this is way off-topic (maybe we need a Tesla singles thread?) but my heart doesn't let me NOT help people when and how I can.

Unless you are a short. You can chew the hot 2 gauge wire going to my HPWC while I pee on you.

1.) Get nice clothes as the clothes make the man.
2.) Get confident. The 99th rejection is nowhere near as painful as the 1st one.
3.) Bring wingmen and wingwomen to force you out of comfort zones.

Good luck. :)

Not currently single but I think I will be when my wife finds out that $35,000 Model 3's don't have white seats nor hit 0-60 in 3.5 seconds..

That sounds like good advice. I do have to admit that in order to make my attempt at a humorous post, I only pretended to be single.

I am in fact married - to a nuclear physicist and I think we are generally seen as a good match.

Luckily, you wrote your helpful post for everyone to see, so it will surely be of help to someone.

Too excited to sleep, never wanted Monday to come so fast.

Currently have a mental image of Jim Chanos and Mark Spiegel squirming to get out of their too tight short jean shorts after taking a bath over the weekend.

Normally longs are used to being disappointed as good news keeps share prices flat while bad news is devastating.

Feels different this time because shorts are angry. Usually they have some dumb ass spin but nothing they can hang their hat on anymore.

Last edited:
The part I agree with you on is that Libertarians (mostly an offshoot of Communist activism for the sake of foreign interests (mostly Russia & China) but in the name of stuff that sounds good to some people (and probably a co-option of a previously more genuine and pure set of ideas, but when is communism anything but that)) aren't very compatible with pro-Trump and Trump agendas. Thiel is much more practical than a typical Libertarian. His latest interview was superb:

You have no idea who libertarians are, do you ? Look it up.

The notion that Musk is a star on the “left” is pretty dated. He was a star of neoliberals but only Pre-Trump.

I get cold feet on friday and sold 2/12 of shares. Now i have to buy it back at a higher price. Lesson learned.

When I feel really terrible about Tesla I remind myself to reconsider it from the point of view of buying more stock.

Since their execution is progressing, I also remind myself that the current price can be a bargain also if it is higher than previous buying opportunities - since the uncertainty regarding the future has diminished since then.

PS. Did you mean that for every dozen of your shares you sold two?

Status
Not open for further replies.