Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch :eek:

upload_2018-10-1_10-1-9.png

Last edited:
There is no question a lack of subsidies relative to the competition is going to hurt Tesla.

Hurt however has a pain scale of 1-10. Shorts are going to think it’s a 13-15 where I believe it will be 2-3.

Shorts believe Tesla’s are completely price demand elastic. More Etrons, more Bolts more ipaces with full tax credit is going to eat Tesla’s lunch.

Price elasticity of demand only works when products are perfect or near perfect substitutes. Since a Bolt is not a perfect substitute, the extra subsidy will not help it more than shorts think.

Rational agents would see things how I see above. Unfortunately in the real world, people are irrational and think 3750 is a lot of money that COULD swing a decision if they are not strongly familiar with Tesla. It’s not even 3750 as the tax credit is limited to a percentage of that anyway based on your marginal tax rate.

Tesla is ready for that fight. Tesla is raising prices now so they can potentially lower them later to give the perception of them “eating” the subsidy loss.

While I hope the EV subsidies are reworked to not punish successful first movers like Tesla it’s not something we can plan for.

The only thing in Tesla’s control is a compelling product that is price demand inelastic that people want regardless of credit.

I would not drive an ICE vehicle even if gas was free to me. I hope the EV movement can have the same passion.

It's been years since I took economics, but I agree completely with you on elasticity.
It was an argument I was trying to make with a short over at seeking alpha, but pretty sure it fell on deaf ears.
Though my argument was a bit different. My thesis was that the more premium (high priced) the product the less sensitive the buyers are to incentives. I think this is similar but slightly different. So for ex, someone buying a Ferrari isn't going to care much about a $7.5k tax incentive. Maybe that's why the next products on the roadmap are Roadster and Semi; I'm guessing they are very inelastic. Roadster will compete w/ Ferrari.

It's been years since I took economics, but I agree completely with you on elasticity.
It was an argument I was trying to make with a short over at seeking alpha, but pretty sure it fell on deaf ears.
Though my argument was a bit different. My thesis was that the more premium (high priced) the product the less sensitive the buyers are to incentives. I think this is similar but slightly different. So for ex, someone buying a Ferrari isn't going to care much about a $7.5k tax incentive. Maybe that's why the next products on the roadmap are Roadster and Semi; I'm guessing they are very inelastic. Roadster will compete w/ Ferrari.

My friend we have a definition for exactly what you are describing. A superior good which Tesla certainly qualifies.

Superior good - Wikipedia

You are correct. Price elasticity is highly variable with respect to products, customer classes, state of the economy, etc. In China this is clearly evident where affluent people will willingly pay more for something they know is not better because it gives their status a boost and places them in a more exclusive group. Price elasticity is in a way reversed in a sense there for some products/customers.

You are correct. Price elasticity is highly variable with respect to products, customer classes, state of the economy, etc. In China this is clearly evident where affluent people will willingly pay more for something they know is not better because it gives their status a boost and places them in a more exclusive group. Price elasticity is in a way reversed in a sense there for some products/customers.

Note that Tesla enjoys much higher than usual price/demand inelasticity, because now and for the next 1-2 years it has a virtual monopoly in the premium EV cars market.

So there's little risk of losing customers to competitors (there's very few and they have low volume), the main trade-off is the classic revenue versus profits trade-off of monopoly pricing:

MonopolyPower3-Wiki.JPG

Until now Tesla maximized revenue, not profits - but now they are maximizing free cash flow which is close to the profit maximization point.

The main risk Tesla has is pricing out customers completely - but other than that, pricing changes are mainly going to shift customer demand between models and options.

My other prediction is that as Tesla introduces lower and lower priced models their cash flow and margins will actually improve, because the lower priced models allow high-margin software products to be sold, such as EAP for $5,000 with a near 100% profit margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.