Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is usually useful to avoid becoming over-emotional when analyzing stocks. I always find that the loss of the ability to discuss courteously precedes only briefly the loss of the ability to analyze rationally.
he has a good point though, Tesla still has the rest of the world to deliver those highest margin cars until the ramp stabilizes, at which point massive number of cars and less cost would keep good margin/high profit rolling.

Ok, lets assume you're correct. Big assumption on my part, but I'll play along.

Lets say 6 months from now, they start rolling out the SR versions of the M3. Lower margins, but at much higher volume. Do you think that's not enough to sustain profitability? Or do you think SR version can not be profitable, period?

I suspect not, and that I think is the most important difference between bulls and bears who actually think deeply about this stock. I look at trends in interest costs, likelihood of downgrade, and limits on the ability to obtain supplier funding, and then (because my expertise is primarily in finance, not manufacturing/auto) I read all I can about production costs and issues and likely demand levels. Overall, I suspect that they will not be able to make the SR at a sustained profit (or, put another way, I don't think they will find enough demand at a level which allows them to make a profit).

he has a good point though, Tesla still has the rest of the world to deliver those highest margin cars until the ramp stabilizes, at which point massive number of cars and less cost would keep good margin/high profit rolling.

It does, and I think North America is only about 50-60% of likely aggregate demand for this car class. But I think that will only the delay the inevitable. If we have not even had one quarter of sustained 5k production and we are seeing a significant tail-off in North American LR/AWD demand......

Also, there a number of the other markets where Tesla will face specific disadvantages - China obviously, but also Hong Kong (I was in the Tesla showroom there a couple of weeks ago and chatting with the salesman about whether there would be any demand for LR/AWD - they didn't think so, same I suspect will go for Singapore. In Japan and Korea, while LR/AWD will be more useful, entrenched local manufacturers and the high proportion of apartment living will make it difficult for EVs to win against hybrids (I own a hybrid in Japan).

But I don't know Europe as well, so maybe there will be a great degree of demand there.

• Disagree
Reactions: sundaymorning
I suspect not, and that I think is the most important difference between bulls and bears who actually think deeply about this stock. I look at trends in interest costs, likelihood of downgrade, and limits on the ability to obtain supplier funding, and then (because my expertise is primarily in finance, not manufacturing/auto) I read all I can about production costs and issues and likely demand levels. Overall, I suspect that they will not be able to make the SR at a sustained profit (or, put another way, I don't think they will find enough demand at a level which allows them to make a profit).

I'll break ranks with the bulls that I do not believe a $35,000 Model 3 is profitable. It may be profitable on a PER UNIT basis but not profitable once SG&A is factored in. When I also mean not profitable, I mean at the 5,000 per week production level. I think we need 10,000 per week to really leverage economy of scale to make this work.

Tesla however has time to build up to this production because of the other markets I spoke of.

I'm an ERP economist so I look at the same numbers you do and my conclusions are different. ;)

Still haven't answered if you plan to keep your short shorts on over the next 72 hours. I shorted both puts and long calls to create a synthetic long position on Friday. Let's see how it goes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ugliest1 and avoigt
Patience: the real short burn, if it happens, is more probable on Nov 2-3, when the Q3 financial report is released.

That is the point where the 'slow money', who doesn't really care about or know Tesla but knows quarterly financials, is going to start investing in this upcoming new natural monopoly, heavily.

It would be prudent for Tesla to release a “cash flow positive” statement first, along with delivery/production numbers Tuesday. Then leave the rest for ER suprise.

I think selling 500k Model 3 per year at 55k ASP and 20% gross margin will be quite doable. However, in my view, it does require:

- Selling it globally.
- Adding more options. SR, non-premium, towing++
- Stop planning for end-of-quarter rushes, to avoid bad experiences for customers.
- Having some inventory in the various markets.
- Actively selling it. Offering test drives, presence at events, maybe even ads.
- The China/US trade war ending.
- Offering leasing

Edit: (Forgot leasing and US/China trade war.)

Last edited:
Here we go..........the hit parade begins.
Tesla Braces For Uncertainty Amid Shift in Musks Role

And what's with the Union pension fund investing in TSLA? o_O
Tesla Braces for Uncertainty Amid Shift in Musk’s Role

Interesting that no one has been able to confirm whether the DoJ is still investigating or not - the Absence of any confirmation via leak maybe is good news? Does DoJ typically announce when they stop any sort of investigation?

From WSJ:

“The Justice Department, meanwhile, also is investigating Mr. Musk’s tweets, though it didn’t bring a parallel criminal case Thursday. The SEC typically doesn’t settle a civil case if the Justice Department is expected to bring a criminal one, though it isn’t clear in this instance how closely the departments coordinated efforts, people close to the situation said.”

I'll break ranks with the bulls that I do not believe a $35,000 Model 3 is profitable. It may be profitable on a PER UNIT basis but not profitable once SG&A is factored in. When I also mean not profitable, I mean at the 5,000 per week production level. I think we need 10,000 per week to really leverage economy of scale to make this work.

Tesla however has time to build up to this production because of the other markets I spoke of.

I'm an ERP economist so I look at the same numbers you do and my conclusions are different. ;)

Still haven't answered if you plan to keep your short shorts on over the next 72 hours. I shorted both puts and long calls to create a synthetic long position on Friday. Let's see how it goes.

I have not studied economics since I left Oxford - I was seduced by filthy lucre and went into investment banking.

I do plan to maintain my positions, which are all (currently) bear put spreads, at least until I see the Q4 10Q.

And now, since it is midnight here, I bid you all good night.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and oneday
Elon owns ~20% of TSLA's 170M shares, so the SEC fine is about $0.59 per share.

Elon made that back in Frankfurt already on Sunday afternoon, 48 X over: ($28/sh)

251,5000 € ~ $292.21 USD ^10.19% @ 18:58 CT

And that means he's already made back close to $1B.

Nice calculation. :)

PS. The market maker Lang & Schwarz is located in Düsseldorf.

I don't think Elon will sell the SR until he can sell it profitably. He is more disciplined than people give him. He is working on a cheaper battery design and I suspect that once that is finalized is when they'll greenlight the SR. He's pushing the SR out as far as possible to maximize COGS reduction.

One thing I wonder about is the effect of the incentive phase-out. Shorts I think embellish the effect, but I do believe the effect will not be zero. Have you or anyone else discussed/quantified this? thanks

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I think selling 500k Model 3 per year at 55k ASP and 20% gross margin will be quite doable. However, in my view, it does require:

- Selling it globally.
- Adding more options. SR, non-premium, towing++
- Stop planning for end-of-quarter rushes, to avoid bad experiences for customers.
- Having some inventory in the various markets.
- Actively selling it. Offering test drives, presence at events, maybe even ads.
- The China/US trade war ending.

No advertising required. Network effect is going to smash as Tesla’s make a move from the coasts to the interior.

How do you know if your coworker or friends or family drive a Tesla?

They will tell you.

First post...

On the cost of a Tesla Model 3 LR didn't Munro & Associates state that that they believed its cost was $28k. Presumably an SR would be less by $1800 or so due to a smaller battery.

If so why would a minimally configured SR model 3 not be at least break even at $35k.

How much would battery costs have to fall and units produced per week rise such that economies of scale would make them break even?

Honestly, if the shorts saw what I saw everyday, I'd be terrified of being short on the wrong day. That day potentially being a legitimately profit quarter perhaps combined with no more SEC cloud..?

There is so much S3X going on where I drive its amazing. S3X at practically every intersection. Group S3X happens at crowded lights.

Driving traditional auto is looking to be a faux pas.

Network effect is happening..

I happen to participate in the Model 3 discussions and I've seen now several Tesla skeptics practically change their religion once they took possession of the car that aggravated them so much.
curious - what city are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.