Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla is still in it's multi-year upward channel. As long as it doesn't break below ~$255.

Y2RfCsi.png

What about returning to the uptick rule that was in place 1938-2007? Would that allow (1) while making (2) more difficult?
No, once they imitate a position they will still slander. What we need to do is pull together articles that were demonstrably untrue. And have the SEC go after those people. It’s already illegal to slander... the SEC just needs a list spoon fed to them. I’ll start a post after.

Short selling is often unpopular with retail and with the more ignorant or cynical kind of politician, but I've never met a serious economist or market participant who didn't understand it makes the market more efficient and less prone to over-shoot.
I've met several. For every empirical study saying short-selling makes the market more efficient, I can find one saying short-selling makes the market less efficient. I've concluded that on the whole it doesn't actually have much effect.

Disinformation campaigns are another matter.

James Anderson is not stupid..
Nor is he oblivious of his obligations to those who trust him to invest their capital prudently.

He would still like peace and quiet, but he's not going to bail out of the company at this point, because it makes no financial sense to do so just before Tesla reports the best two quarters in its history.

Tesla has always been the quintessential jockey bet. If Anderson decides the jockey's conduct in the last three months raises concerns about his judgment and maturity, he might reconsider Baillee Gifford's concentration in shares without waiting to see if the promise of those future quarters is realized. If he did so last Friday or before, we'll see in mid November.

Fund managers and investment advisors have to make unemotional decisions. Few are likely to embrace recidivist, destructive tweeting.

My theory of whats going on:
1. Elon did not want to settle in the first place, wanted to fight the SEC to prove his innocence
2. When stock tanked last Friday, he realized the case will hurt shareholders too much and ruin positive effects of Q3 results, so he decided to compromise and signed the settlement
3. Q3 results did not give the effect to the SP he expected, media FUD nullified it, SP kept going down this week, which angered him that he compromised for nothing
4. Judge asking for letter explaining the fairness of the settlement gave him an excuse to back-pedal on the deal and go back to fighting, so now he wants the SEC to walk away, thus he is tweeting mocking them

I've met several. For every empirical study saying short-selling makes the market more efficient, I can find one saying short-selling makes the market less efficient. I've concluded that on the whole it doesn't actually have much effect.

Disinformation campaigns are another matter.

Manipulative short selling that tries to use disinformation and market reflexivity to create a negative self-fulfilling prophecy is categorically bad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.