Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is remarkably different. Its the first time that they clearly state and explain why Tesla's so called German competitions are not competitors at all and have to play catch up for many years to come.

Its in German language.

Warum es die Tesla-Jäger schwer haben werden

Very interesting - the Handelsblatt now largely adopting views this forum had for the last 2 years (at least). I think what changed their reporting is that in the U.S. Tesla sales are crushing Mercedes and BMW ICE sales. That must have been a wake-up call.

I think business media sentiment towards Tesla is going to change with success: success in the marketplace (when compared to ICE vehicle sales in their primary segments), and financial success in terms of cash flow and profitability. And I believe in many cases it will happen like it happened with the Handelsblatt: the change will be an abrupt 180 degrees, as if they never wrote Tesla FUD before.

That's the one redeeming quality of mainstream journalists which is going to help Tesla: they have the institutional memory and attention span of a slightly retarded common toad.

Last edited:
“If people bring so much courage to this world the world has to kill them to break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” ― Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Dude..... I don't even know who the hell you are... Did you ask me something ??
If you did, I missed it... My bad.. Maybe relax a bit though...

All I said, to BB77, was "hear me out"... I didn't say that's what's gonna happen...
My only point was that Elon certainly seems determined to drive the stock lower, don't you think?
I mean seriously, what other CEO does the things he's doing? Must be ~some~ reason...

And clearly I have no idea, it's just a thought I was mentioning to BB77.... Not to you...
I couldn't care less what you think, to be honest... You don't like what I have to say?
Fine..move on to the next post... That's what most adults do... No biggie to me...

And if I was 007, you guys would be eating up his technical BS, and "it's doing xyz, and abc, which means it's set up to go up, sending shorts to the showers", etc... And next day it goes down $15... That's dude's friggin' dangerous to people's wealth....
But me, you need the mods? Just friggin block me, dude... I don't care...

And yes, I'm sure you contribute MUCH more to society than I do, based on just the fact you say it...
You know nothing about me.....but don't let THAT stop you from saying it...

But regardless, good luck.... You're gonna need it if you need babysitters to fight your battles for you...
But you helped me see one thing... Visiting this site is pointless... VERY close-minded...and VERY combative to anything outside your (collective) tunnel-vision... No one needs this crap...

stop repeating the same nonsense and how bad tmc is and get tf out of here

I doubt Q3 will do anything at all for media sentiment. Tesla will forever be one of those divisive companies that many people thrive on beating up.

Surely there is a non zero number of investors who read all that biased crap but also take the time to actually look at quarterly results and draw trend line conclusions from that? Those hard numbers get reported everywhere, and when you google a stock quote, many sites stuck the last few quarters results right there under the current SP. I know shorts will spin, and lie and FUD and talk bullshit, but I get a very strong impression that tesla are turning a financial corner right now, and all the FUD in the world cannot change those numbers. I'd be surprised if we do not see a decent SP uptick after Q3 results.

The Handelsblatt is the largest and most read economy newspaper in Germany, highly recognized, conservative and one of the most active smear campaign source if we talk Tesla.

I read them to understand their "though process" and usually read a lot of uneducated nonsense and hard to justify conclusions normally quoted by a lot of "Experts".

Today is remarkably different. Its the first time that they clearly state and explain why Tesla's so called German competitions are not competitors at all and have to play catch up for many years to come.

Its in German language.

Warum es die Tesla-Jäger schwer haben werden

If they think Model X charges quickly, wait until they get a sense of how fast Model 3 can charge (kph) at present, and then how fast it can charge on V3 after they come out ;)

Ahhh.... This must be the one... Your other messages were just trash talk, nothing to reply to...
But yes, missed this one, sorry....

But, to address your question, it will just be easier to ask you to read though this article..
EnerTuition does a MUCH better job of it than I could, so here you go...
It's worth a read...

But if you choose not to read it, that's cool too... It's your choice...

Massive Layoffs And Reorganization Ahead At Tesla - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

that was my first message to you, thinking you possibly weren’t a jerk off troll, trying to give you a chance to be an adult. you replied with no answer just more bullshit.
don’t accuse me of trash talk when i was the only one to give you benefit of doubt,
btw that article is garbage, thanks for the wonderful input

Daimler will start building EV battery plant in U.S.

Look at this. Not to mention that with 1B$ investment is noting, but following:

The investment comes as Daimler brand Mercedes-Benz prepares to launch the electric EQC SUV, as part of a broader assault on a sector currently dominated by Tesla.
"We aim to play a pioneering role in the development of e-mobility and are well-prepared to accomplish this mission," said Daimler board member Markus Schaefer.

They want to be a pioneers where someone is already dominating? :)

Waiting to see start of "cash burning" at legacy.

ps:
Spanish sales drop 17% on WLTP disruption
Audi's Europe sales fall 56% on WLTP

Last edited:
All I said, to BB77, was "hear me out"... I didn't say that's what's gonna happen...
My only point was that Elon certainly seems determined to drive the stock lower, don't you think?
I mean seriously, what other CEO does the things he's doing? Must be ~some~ reason...
What he's doing is speaking the truth, something you are obviously unfamiliar with.

And if I was 007, you guys would be eating up his technical BS, and "it's doing xyz, and abc, which means it's set up to go up, sending shorts to the showers", etc... And next day it goes down $15... That's dude's friggin' dangerous to people's wealth....
Which is exactly what many of us have been saying all along. Few people here take his manic cheerleading seriously.

Visiting this site is pointless... VERY close-minded...and VERY combative to anything outside your (collective) tunnel-vision... No one needs this crap...
Correct, so go away and never come back.

Regarding Tesla taking control of the narrative, I have an humble suggestion:
  • use Tesla twitter, in a serious way. They publish very few posts, and if I'm not mistaken they didn't even tweet about the NHTSA blogpost
  • let Elon retweet everything
This won't solve anything, but at least will grow the Tesla twitter fanbase and grow the institutional PR machine.

Surely there is a non zero number of investors who read all that biased crap but also take the time to actually look at quarterly results and draw trend line conclusions from that? Those hard numbers get reported everywhere, and when you google a stock quote, many sites stuck the last few quarters results right there under the current SP. I know shorts will spin, and lie and FUD and talk bullshit, but I get a very strong impression that tesla are turning a financial corner right now, and all the FUD in the world cannot change those numbers. I'd be surprised if we do not see a decent SP uptick after Q3 results.
I’d hope for the same thing too, though I think whether we’re + or - $50m in q3 wont matter as much as being +$$$ in q4 and q1. Dave’s worry however seems to be specifically about media coverage, not short term stock price reaction.

And I guess my point is that media coverage is gonna suck for a long time, possibly forever regardless of financial and stock performance, so don’t worry be happy.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
If that is true are you laying all of the blame for a change in perception on Elon?

You have comments of newspaper stories out there on people who have paid for cars weeks ago and still have no cars. Do you really think all of these people getting 2, 3, and 4 cancelations are keeping their frustrations to themselves? We all know good news travels at the speed of sound; bad news travels at the speed of light. ;)
I'm laying the blame on all the people such as yourself for the constant flood of inaccurate misleading FUD which has been going on for years and increasing in intensity. You are the problem.

While it sounds like a good idea on the surface, I suspect in reality any attempt to do so with a climate angle would come off as disingenuous and actually hurt the brand more than help, with the target audience (as kids these days can be very cynical, when it comes to brands trying to associate themselves with things important to them).

Sneaking Teslas into more shows/movies without fanfare (i.e., never ever do the product placement move of talking about the vehicle ever) however might work. You have to be subtle, and ensure that it appears the vehicle was chosen by the production, not foisted upon them by the studio and advertisers.

There were a couple Teslas in Deadpool 2. But they got wrecked. :( (CGI)

The other approach, and the much more effective and wise approach, is to focus on generating more positive stories. In other words, you need to generate so many positive stories that they outweigh and out-influence the negative stories.

This is the path forward Tesla needs to take.

Just blaming shortsellers has gotten us nowhere and will get us nowhere.

The media is clearly incentivized to skew negative on Tesla, how is Tesla supposed to change that?

The media is clearly incentivized to skew negative on Tesla, how is Tesla supposed to change that?

Media cares about clicks, and uses whatever story will get clicks best (positive or negative). Right now, people are eating up the negative story. But that doesn't mean it can't reverse. People also tend to like "comeback" stories. I think sustainable profits will do a lot to help the media balance. It'll also drive a lot of shorts off the market (reducing their incentive to FUD). Ideally, if they could kill off the UAW campaign as well (aka, with a vote of some sort), that would be great too.

Note: sustainable != "1 quarter".

Yeah I think we'll just disagree on the impact of the Rogan show. Because personally I don't care that Elon smoked a blunt. And I liked the interview. So I can understand your point. But what I'm seeing is more of the general public's view and how it's been portrayed in the media.

A key demographics for new car customers has viewed Joe Rogan's podcast in record numbers and the video has a record positive like/dislike ratio.

Just to see what the typical reaction of everyday young people is: here's a link to the reaction of a young man, who succinctly summed it up as: "the [Joe Rogan] controversy that blew up was so stupid". That's the reaction I've seen from many other members of Gen Y/Z as well, so can confirm anecdotally.

So yeah, I think that Elon going on Joe Rogan's show and not inhaling a single puff of cannabis and explaining that he doesn't use due to bad effects on productivity strengthened his image among young people: it shows that he doesn't judge, is open minded but has his own opinion.

You are probably part of an older demographic who as a generation treats it as a social taboo to show any tolerance towards recreational drug use (publicly ...), but Gen Y/Z is a lot more tolerant, across a wide range of topics, such as:

1_21.png

More tolerance is probably one of the positive effects of social media, in addition to brains of younger generations not being lead poisoned. ;)

You also asked for scientific metrics of public sentiment towards Elon, and I think such metrics exist to a certain extent, for example if you compare 'love' versus 'hate' towards Elon Musk on Google Trends, there's two large peaks of public support in the last 3 months:

2jn187.jpg

Here's the rough events that are visible on this graph of public opinion (to the extent we can rely on Google Trends for this):
  • The early July period was conflicted, the Thai rescue communication was a mistake
  • September 7, the Joe Rogan interview: big blue peak of support for Elon
  • September 29, the SEC lawsuit against Elon Musk: big blue peak of support for Elon
  • "Funding secured" on August 7": it didn't even register in public perception...

TL;DR: I see you are worried about this and about potential bad effects on image, demand and investors, but I really wouldn't worry about it too much, the next two news cycles are going to reset media perception back to the baseline, and professional investors will come and go, because all they care about is the money.

Last edited:
There were a couple Teslas in Deadpool 2. But they got wrecked. :( (CGI)
It was the same Model S that was crashed twice. Once hit on the right side while sliding through an intersection, then once more in the front as it hit a light pole or some such.

Beautiful sig. red with 20" wheels too. Dam shame if you ask me. But the kids loved it. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.