Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me what the difference of the 7m "sole voting power" and the 17m "sole dispositive power" means?

10m sole voting dispositive power :D

Edit. I shouldn't be glib Mitch. An institution can hold shares but not vote and or dispose of them as the registered institution. It's a common check and balance, and shares are internally allocated among other funds. Nothing to be concerned about here. TRP is the ultimate controlling entity.

Last edited:
Today in the news:

VW CEO Diess: "(..) if the Commission in Brussels succeed with their demand (...) the pace of change is almost not manageable (,,,) Then a quarter of all jobs in our plants will disappear." Thats about 100k Positions.

VW-Chef Diess droht mit Job-Kahlschlag

For context read post #47215 from yesterday

Last edited:
Well, BMW and most other ICE makers are in an impossible economic scenario: they have a pipeline of investments focused on making millions of ICE cars, which investments must earn back their costs, i.e. all those ICE cars must all be sold, and at the expected profit margins.

That pipeline of ICE investments has expected depreciation schedules of 5-10 years.

These ICE companies have huge inertia, with an annual new capacity of maybe 5%. They cannot convert to EVs faster, especially if there's a collapse in ICE demand. And they absolutely must not write off hundreds of billions of dollars worth of obsolete ICE factories...

Another problem ICE manufacturers like BMW have is that they have one core competency, one big competitive advantage: the internal combustion engine and powertrain and patent moats around them. They are outsourcing even the assembly line for premium cars, not to mention R&D.

So if you take away the ICE powertrain, what is left? Not much ...

That's the "ICE paradox", in a nutshell.

"ICE paradox" just sounds like another case of the sunk cost fallacy. Not all fall victim to that but escape.

Today in the news:

VW CEO Diess: "(..) if the Commission in Brussels succeed with their demand (...) the pace of change is almost not manageable (,,,) Then a quarter of all jobs in our plants will disappear." Thats about 100k Positions.

The VW CEO's insistence on higher CO₂ pollution on the day a record intense borderline Category 5 Hurricane Michael spun up in the record hot waters of the Gulf and devastated Panama City, Florida, is the ultimate "Let us commit mass murder for profits, or else!" argument ...

Here's some of the damage:

Twitter

A twitter thread I'm somewhat optimistic can make a real impact in dispelling several false narratives & intellectually disingenuous tactics we've seen for years,

vistacruiser7 on Twitter

first tweet of thread:

1/ Biggest False Narrative re $TSLA Investors: Started by Jim Cramer. Engaging in substantive discussion would not help Jim, so he pounded over & over "Tesla is a cult stock" & "you can't value the darn thing." 1) an ad hominem attack 2) analyst reports all have valuation models

10:09 PM - 10 Oct 2018

When staring TSLA investment I considered 2 real risks outside the company:
-recession risk which can be from -10% down to -50% (almost catastrophe). 10 years from last recessions is longest period.
-exchange rate €/$: -10% down to to-40%.
On other side I have TSLA with target SP form 10x-20x increase in 10 years.

So I'm buying, Next recession or softer correction will probably just prolong my buying period.
Possible sales period would be:
-after we fix transport emissions (we have 12 years max),
-with the end of next growth cycle (~8 years?).

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Al Gore would be excellent. Nobody would doubt his motivation to be chairman, and he is certainly independent. (Note: I read somewhere that Al Gore was mentioned as possbile chairman).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/al-g...elon-musks-role-tesla-chairman-184936627.html

BTW A few months ago an entertainment reporter asked Gore about his thoughts on Musk.

Gore said something to the effect it is not ok to trash this planet because the rich are going to colonize Mars.

Today in the news:

For context read post #47215 from yesterday

I think that Tesla can create 100k direct and indirect jobs in Europe in 12 years. I'm sure that there will be the others too. Not VW but others.

I think that Tesla can create 100k direct and indirect jobs in Europe in 12 years. I'm sure that there will be the others too. Not VW but others.

But that would be thinking at current state. I'm sure that that jobs are under bigger pressure form automation and AI. Solution can be universal basic income.

You can't freeze the world development. That should be clear to legacy automakers, big oil, Wall street...

I am stuck with my initial investment of 150 shares @ 350$ per share due to believe of Elon taking his company private and the incredible Q2 and Q3 results.

However, due to certain circumstances (Elon's tweeting), the share price is now barely above 250$ and I am suffering a 100$ loss on my investment per share.

I am really upset with Elon - any recommendations for me? I just want to get out without a loss - that's all. I do not care about Elon anymore after all he's done to himself, his company and all his shareholders (aka fans). This is incredible.

I am stuck with my initial investment of 150 shares @ 350$ per share due to believe of Elon taking his company private and the incredible Q2 and Q3 results.

However, due to certain circumstances (Elon's tweeting), the share price is now barely above 250$ and I am suffering a 100$ loss on my investment per share.

I am really upset with Elon - any recommendations for me? I just want to get out without a loss - that's all. I do not care about Elon anymore after all he's done to himself, his company and all his shareholders (aka fans). This is incredible.

I don't think there's any kind of magic advice anyone can give you that would dig you out of that hole. Either buy more to average down, hold and wait it out, or sell and take the lost.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: dqd88 and humbaba

IMHO: Hold.

Things should be looking a lot better in 1-6 months.

The SP should recover somewhere between Q3 ER and Q4 ER. So hold until $351 and get out. Also, you'll watch the stock grow to several times 350 over the next few years, but suit yourself.

Investing in a stock as high beta/volatility as TSLA via common shares over such a short period of time is pretty reckless. You are lucky this is a company where the fundamentals are just about to prove all the naysayers wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.