Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed! But I really didn't want to miss owning shares in $TSLA. Mission accomplished. Not every decision is strictly business.

But if what you quoted from my post was all that someone reading it took away, yeah, that would be bad.
You're correct. Sorry, didn't want to to sound as if I were being critical of your actions. Given your entire post was linked it's easily researched.

The fact that some here have reacted so negatively to their entry position, it can't be stated enough that making emotional stock transactions is never a good idea.

However, those posting more recently are probably not what they claim to be. The FUD is palpable on TMC. ;)

Believing in a company, its mission, and economic and technological trends is many things. Believing in one person is like eggs. My last two purchases were at $350 and $340 and I have no regrets. Easier to say since investments in Tesla since 2010 average around $93 a share (if you discount the $663 conversion of Solar City which I bought at $84!!!).

I like omelets even though our TSLA holdings at around 40% of portfolio cause our wealth manager to pull a thatch out of his hair every day. Elon has warned many times. Don't invest if you dislike volatility. Maybe you didn't follow the leader that time? I mean no harshness, just that in the long run you're probably best off keeping your shares. I would, for whatever that's worth.

Funny how those of us over 80 have more patience. (But then my metabolic rate must be a fraction of many here.)

well said,
i bought higher as well, tacking onto position with avg price much lower. i’ve been a complainer about tweets in past. the last one that the media claimed “mocked” the sec, i was actually ok with it. i believe pricilla to be a troll (pretty sure said some outlandish things in past), but either way, i’d stick with the position for the long haul. i also agree that those new to the stock, buying at high levels shouldn’t all be categorized at greedy. longs have the same goal. company does well, stock does well. just no ‘activists’ please. this potential ‘temporary’ chairman scenario has me a bit nervous. i want the stock to appreciate, but not at the cost of the long-term goals.

Well, if the goal is to make the board filled with as many lightning rods as possible, may I recommend a 9-member board comprised of:

* Al Gore
* Rupert Murdoch
* Hillary Clinton
* Steve Bannon
* Martin Shkreli
* George Soros
* Mohammad bin Salman
* Charles and David Koch

I hear Sean Spicer was available...

You're correct. Sorry, didn't want to to sound as if I were being critical of your actions. Given your entire post was linked it's easily researched.

The fact that some here have reacted so negatively to their entry position, it can't be stated enough that making emotional stock transactions is never a good idea.

However, those posting more recently are probably not what they claim to be. The FUD is palpable on TMC. ;)
I hear what you are saying and I think you are largely correct, but I don't entirely agree. I had an earlier post where I gave my investment philosophy, which is "invest how it feels right for you" and "pay attention to what is going in in the market". If the volatility of $TSLA goes beyond someone's comfort zone and it doesn't feel right, then they shouldn't invest in it.

But if I was trading without emotion then I would not be likely to invest in $TSLA -- there are better stocks from a performance metric. I've pulled out of (right now) higher yield investments because I believe in Tesla. This belief is an emotion. And, from a performance perspective, there's a lot of money to be made from shorting $TSLA or buying puts. Some risk as well, but my point is that shorting $TSLA at the right times can (and has) resulted in substantial returns. But I won't short $TSLA, and not just because of the risk (and SWMBO [1]).

Where it will (nearly) always bite is investing on transient emotions, such as the fear of missing out. That's a good way to avoid buy low/sell high and is obviously not recommended. Buying into any hysteria or following the crowd on sudden movements is generally inadvisable. (Not just with the stock market.)

I guess what I am saying is principles are not always rational, but I believe that principled investing is perfectly sound. It may not make as much money as other investing strategies, but for me there's more than money in this.

1) Urban Dictionary: SWMBO
[edited for SWMBO]

Reactions: Nathan and AndyH
It's going to be much quicker than the recent migrations too, I think. Furthermore, with the climate pattern changes, areas where certain crops are grown today will no longer be suitable. Grass-lands too will shift. Farmers will go out of business, the balance of power will shift between countries. There will be great civil unrest, many wars, famine, etc.
... The gulf-streams will fail, we'll see an ice-age return to the Northern Hemisphere.
"Make room, make room" by Harry Harrison...I was really counting on those seaweed crackers(or, alternatively, algae cookies Hope You Like Algae, Because It’s Going To Be In Everything You Eat), but ice age will certainly throw a wrench into this vision.

Wow what a crazy turn in events. I have been on the sidelines for the past 2 months making dry powder. The number of black swan events that has happened in Q2 (and leading up to Q3 earnings) is insane.

- Q2 M3 production reached all important 5k/week goal, stock tanks 20%
- Tesla going private
- Tesla pulling out of going private
- Elon publicly smokes weed
- SEC investigation, and in record time
- Record time SEC settlement
- Record Q3 production, yet stock doesn't move
- Huge macro downturn in the past 2 weeks

The market really threw the kitchen sink at Tesla last quarter! It's not just a black swan event, talk about a "rainbow" swan event! Hopefully we're finished with this hail of Black Swan events, because I'm locked and loaded and my finger is itchy :D (but I'll still watch for up to 2 more weeks before pulling the trigger)

Well, if the goal is to make the board filled with as many lightning rods as possible, may I recommend a 9-member board comprised of:

* Al Gore
* Rupert Murdoch
* Hillary Clinton
* Steve Bannon
* Martin Shkreli
* George Soros
* Mohammad bin Salman
* Charles and David Koch
That's nine. Jeffrey Immelt should be in top ten

Earnings should be good, but they won't be unexpectedly good - it's already baked into the current price.

I’d note, again, that WS consensus for Q3 is a loss and negative cash flow(to the tune of ~$200 million). Anything above that is not baked into the price(though I fully expect plenty of news nullification if they beat that, with consensus suddenly, retroactively being higher in reports after the ER).

I’d note, again, that WS consensus for Q3 is a loss and negative cash flow(to the tune of ~$200 million). Anything above that is not baked into the price(though I fully expect plenty of news nullification if they beat that, with consensus suddenly, retroactively being higher in reports after the ER).

"Look, everybody knew going into this that Tesla was going to earn a profit this quarter. What we said was that it wasn't sustainable..."

Well, we did go through an ice age before...
Hominins have been through many ice ages. One of them reduced us to a world population of only 600. We nearly went extinct.

Beginning 195,000 years ago, the global climate entered a period of cold and dry conditions that lasted for 70,000 years, a phase called Marine Isotope Stage 6. In interior Africa, this shift triggered drought conditions so severe that much of the continent would have become uninhabitable. Genetic studies of modern human DNA tell us that at some point during this period, human populations plummeted from more than 10,000 breeding individuals to as few as 600. Homo sapiens became a highly endangered species; we almost went extinct. This “population bottleneck” means that all humans alive today are descended from this tiny group of survivors. The result: our species has less genetic diversity than a single troupe of West Africa chimpanzees.

I also hope I'm wrong, because the consequences dwarf anything our species has had to deal with in the past.
The problems of ice age etc will pale in comparison to all the wars we'll have because of climate change.

The biggest problem will be water. As the rain pattern changes (think, 5 consecutive Monsoon failures in Indian sub-continent, home to 2 Billion people), water wars will become common - aided by huge migrations. Trump will start looking like a dove on immigration.

Some estimates put world population around 1 Billion by 2100 AD. In other words, some 7 Billion will die untimely deaths.

Put bacteria in a jar of sugar water and watch. They keep growing and consuming sugar, until there is none left. They all die off. I'm fairly sure, humans are not very different from bacteria. This is my optimistic take - since bacteria don't kill each other.

Where do you see that ? The largest Fidelity shows me is 62k at 9:30.

Yahoo daily chart.
DA8F23B2-CB7F-4B2B-91B1-828F40CB1C76.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.