Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With more and more undeniable positive fact that Tesla releases we can expect that the Media will turn around one day and all of a sudden pretend its a great company and they never did say really different. Journalists will not hesitate and do what is required to sell and collect clicks. The mainstream readers will forget quickly but we will remember.

What we can hope for though is that some of the always negative reporter who did bend the truth by 180 Degree will be not forgotten and reminded what they did and how wrong they have been. To remind them we all should thank @ZachShahan for his great and very interesting and insightful @Pravduh reviews that help to shed light on people who sell their soul for money missing any kind of integrity and honesty.

You remember the joke about 10 lawyers ?
Question: "What is wrong with 10 lawyers on a ground of a lake with weights on their feed?"
Answer: "Nothing"

You get the point.

Also its my, maybe naive, opinion that large media like Bloomberg, Business Insider and other have done lasting damage to their reputation. This can't be pushed on some individuals. I will never forget what they did to Tesla and the mission to protect our environment and make the world a better place to live in. Unfortunately I believe this will not be reflected in their revenue and subscriptions as most people tend to forget quickly.

Concerning the book you ask for I believe there will be much more than one book and one movie be released about the history in the making that we all experience this days and months. We are in the middle of a longer war of survival and what the ICE and also Oil industry does experience is in my view summarized in this sentence:

"if you don't get air - nothing else matters!"

Its better for all of us to expect their fight of survival to be a very dirty one and they just got a glimpse of low air in the US. A fight for survival is never pretty to watch.

The worst will come to surface and I expect the Oil & Gas & Car industry to have much more dirty tricks than we even think off. However on the positive side the public opinion is clearly not with them any more and they cannot fight the consumer. Its kind of over if you look at the facts but they may not realize it. Its a "dead man walking".

As of today I did expect them to catch up and transform a bid already but I am loosing faith every day a bid that they are able to and even truly willing to do it fast enough to avoid them loosing their business. Even the VW CEO Dies said that already in an interview to my surprise that the carbon regulations will require them to lay off up to 100k people if implemented. He wanted to spread fear of course and put pressure on the government regulations but if they have to fire that amount of people you can predict that they know what market share they will likely loose.

Because they have been successfully fighting government regulations in the past they are in the mess the face today. Innovation is what matters and they have been successfully avoided it by producing slightly better cars with slightly less emissions and expecting the consumer to applaud. They completely missed the concept of an Oligopoly that controls a market but with less competitive pressure does not improve and finally looses the touch to the consumers.

That all goes well unless someone does not play to their rules. 50 companies since about 1950 did not play to their rules and they buried all of them. They thought Tesla will be an easy one. Just one more time. The # 51 carve on their wood. They did not expect THIS to happen. Not that quickly and not the order of magnitude.

What I hear from the auto industry are many measures, actions and attempts to mitigate, divert and fight carbon regulation, emission compliance standards and the public opinion as such.

What I do not hear is the true efforts and hard work to build world class EVs that are better than Tesla. Its to me not like they truly did and failed which would be acceptable to me. Its really like they said we will build an EV that is 80% as good as a Tesla and given its the Audi, BMW and Daimler brand consumer will buy it.

At the end of the day the large automakers have lost their understanding what the consumer is looking for. This is because they lost their direct contact to them as the dealerships own it and their products and services never have been challenges in the last 100 years.

The most easy area where you can see this is the charging network.

Tesla's thought process is that they need to make sure they build all what is required to enable consumers a drive experience that is not limited by range and people can use their products as they used their ICE with regards of traveling from A to B be it a short distance or long.

The ICE industry thought process is charging is not our business as fueling never has been. Other industry or the government has to make sure the infrastructure is out there. We build cars and thats it.

Until today they have not truly understood that Tesla is not just building cars and thats it. You can transfer that thought to autonomous driving, Software upgrades and many more within the Tesla ecosystem.

They thought lets build an EV that is an Audi, BMW or Daimler within our horizontal integrated structure that we have build the last 100 years. Charging is not our business and suppliers should deliver the parts so we reduce the EV production into replacing an combustion engine and drive train with an electric engine and battery.

"Dead man walking"

I have to say — we received a pretty enormous (okay, at least very large) amount of pressure to run more critical stories of Elon and Tesla during a few months (or several months?) this year, and at the end of last year.

If I didn't have a firm and long (in terms of time covering) foundational perspective on Tesla and Elon, no doubt about it we would have published the kind of stuff you saw all over the media. Various players were quite effective at trying to shape the narrative and portray the company and Elon in a certain way. It took having a strong conviction in progress, a solid plan, and Elon's humanity to cover it in what I think was genuinely the correct, most accurate and informative way.

Owe a good deal of thanks to the community here for being a top — or the top — place on the web for discussions about Tesla and depth of research and perspective.

Good crew here. Probably under-recognized for what you all do.

What are you going to do with the hides? Throw them away? And then use other resources to replace leather? Like, that’s going to help the environment. :rolleyes:
YES !!!

Remember when we talk about environment, its not just the carbon.

People apparently don't realize, leather processing causes incredible environmental destruction. When I drive past the leather treatment factories in India, I can smell them from miles away. The degradation of soil & water is difficult to describe.

There is a reason most of the leather tanning is done in countries with no rules or very lax enforcement because of corruption, like India.

Talking about the market, I saw a sudden 2% decrease in IV in almost all strikes & expiration dates on Friday. I've not been tracking IV closely - is this an anomaly or does this kind of thing happen often ?

So, even though TSLA went up by 2.6%, many of the call options I track went up only by 3 to 6% instead of the usual 5 to 10%. Infact many strikes are down compared to 10/10 when TSLA was $2 less.

Just curious. What is the ~last year in which those students graduated?

1970 or so. Three others have become judges. On retiring in 2000 I taught part-time, sporadically, until 2008 and lost track of folks in later years. I was closest to students when I was very close to their age. That is wounded by the arrow of time.:(

Only reason it’s being unsequestered is that a bunch of evolved apes figured out that it burns.

We can’t reduce or conserve our way out of this. This burning of fossil fuels must come to a complete end. There is not a compromise.

All the other stuff is noise being promoted by fossil fuel interests to add...
Case in point. WA State has Initiative 1631 on the ballot in November. It's proposing a carbon tax. Arguments against it claim unfair, doesn't apply to all polluters, etc. Then along the bottom of the TV ad, it says (in fairly small print) the announcement is supported by the Western Petroleum Institute. That tells me everything need to know to determine my vote.

Can we please stop talking about climate in this thread. It’s like politics. Once it starts, you can’t stop it. Besides no one is going to change anyone's mind here. There are other threads for showing off how much (little) you know about climate science.
There is an important lesson we need to learn here to change the media narrative.

The liberal media understands the dire nature of Climate Change but doesn't think of Tesla as a solution to it. We need to keep pounding on this connection so that the liberal media stops spreading anti-Tesla FUD. I'm going to start calling all anti-Tesla fudsters climate change deniers to drive home the point (on twitter).

All Tesla long will need to be patient for a while, right now Tesla is lump together with other automakers, market is thinking all Automakers doing bad so Tesla must do bad, in reality other automakers coming off from huge volume they sold over last few years while Tesla is still a small company with relatively small volume, even with less then optimum economy Tesla will do fine.

• Disagree
Reactions: M|S|W and SpaceCash
That was me. :)

(But there are some mistakes in the transcription there. Ending should be: Don't feed the trolls too much. But we do like it when you tease the trolls a bit. So, use your judgment, but thanks a lot for what you're doing.)

Still waiting on that squeeze ;)

Didn't expect some of what followed, and I think Elon didn't expect the market or press to act as irrationally as they have.
Haha Big ooops, didn't realize it was you! ;) Just finished this piece, loved it. Not Joking: Why The Media Has Been Failing On Tesla, & Is It Turning A Corner? | CleanTechnica. Are those your kids at the end?

Please, everyone, use this as a learning opportunity. Almost all media is unreliable. When I read a news piece about something I know well, 9 times out of 10, it is wrong, biased, or made up crap. So ... if you think about it, if this happens to you too, this SHOULD lead you to conclude that the articles that you DON’T know anything about are ALSO wrong, biased, or made up crap.

The media doesn’t make money by tell you boring stories. It makes money by making you feel outraged, superior, disgusted, horrified or fearful. Journalists are economically incented to omit facts that don’t fit a more interesting storyline, or exaggerate other facts that do.

I think more nuance is needed on this topic.

The media, imho, is often superb at what it really focuses on. The thing is, it is far too spread out these days and tries to cover a variety of topics it doesn't know well.

But if it has good sources and good journalistic practices — which I think the top ones have — it is not only excellent by critical to a democratic and free-market society.

I personally think the major outlets have pretty amazing skills at political coverage — if they don't have a totally crazy tribal agenda.

But that's really just the beginning and I wrote about this at length this week. :p

(My much longer take on the topic and its relationship to Tesla here: Not Joking: Why The Media Has Been Failing On Tesla, & Is It Turning A Corner? | CleanTechnica )

Which is exactly what happened with the Model S in 2013 and 2014. Once the car was on the road and people started seeing them and talking about them then demand went up substantially. In 2012, the Model S had 10K reservations and Tesla was hoping to sell 20K to 25K a year. Now they are selling 50K a year, every year. Tesla is going to have no problem selling 400K to 500K Model 3s a year, every year.

To add to this, the FUDsters all said that the Model X would cut into Model S sales. Nope. The Model X now sells 50K a year, every year too.

And then the FUDsters said that Model 3 sales would kill the Model S and Model X. Also nope.

Thank you

I think this is an absolutely critical thing people need to know, and most almost definitely don't. Same hype about "sales will drop after reservations" happened with S & X. And I'd say they were even more susceptible to that.

Tesla-Roadmap-768x553.png

I wrote about it in March, but the image above (+ understanding Tesla now sells 50,000 Model S & X each a year) provides the critical point: If A Tesla Pattern Has Emerged, What Does That Mean For Model 3? | CleanTechnica

(I probably found that image on TMC at some point. :p :D )

Lordy, MSNBC & POLITICO Miss The Tesla Elephant Again | CleanTechnica

Every major is down in sales, yet Tesla is the completely opposite with significant positive sales... but no mention by MSNBC... they blame everything else.

This is how they control the narrative by omission. They just simply leave out the news about Tesla.

Irrelevant news only exists because they are propaganda for highest bidders.

It could be the iceberg in the path of the titanic and they would tell you otherwise to not upset sponsor backed dollar.

I think they just don't understand Tesla or its market. And think they have too many friends on Wall St. who have convinced them Tesla is a defrauding Ponzi scheme. (sadly)

I agree with the other poster, this was not what was communicated in the 90's for Florida at all, but what I WILL say about Florida is that it has been at least five years now that banks will not write 30 years mortgages for housing on the coast lines. Clearly, they know something we don't (or won't admit to).

Have been dramatic changes in what insurance companies are willing to cover as well, iirc.

Talk to any insurance company exec — Republicans included — and they'll give you a good sense of how bad it already is.

Last edited:
I have to say — we received a pretty enormous (okay, at least very large) amount of pressure to run more critical stories of Elon and Tesla during a few months (or several months?) this year, and at the end of last year.

If I didn't have a firm and long (in terms of time covering) foundational perspective on Tesla and Elon, no doubt about it we would have published the kind of stuff you saw all over the media. Various players were quite effective at trying to shape the narrative and portray the company and Elon in a certain way. It took having a strong conviction in progress, a solid plan, and Elon's humanity to cover it in what I think was genuinely the correct, most accurate and informative way.

Owe a good deal of thanks to the community here for being a top — or the top — place on the web for discussions about Tesla and depth of research and perspective.

Good crew here. Probably under-recognized for what you all do.

It takes balls and a backbone to stand up for what you believe is the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.