Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"end up like Troy" - detail-oriented, data-driven, useful, factual, and right? Sign me up! @Troy is a legend as far as I'm concerned.

Obviously not; I thought Tesla would first start international deliveries of Long Range. I'm working on an ASP/margin article, which will allow me to think through the various factors.

Their move on FSD is confusing, even though it's supposedly done to reduce confusion, so I'll wait for conference comments.

No I mean banned.

Oops there you go. No Patreon donation foy you.

I highly recommend having a peek at the comments on this thread. A good-natured breath of fresh air from gamers and a nice break from the usual anti-Tesla venom.

Elon is playing this well. Fortnite is the most popular game right now, it has 78.3 million players. 63% of its players are 18-24, 22.5% are 25-34. This is free advertisement for him and his brands. Perfect target age group to sell his hip and futuristic products to.

Although Elon is a gamer himself so I don't think he's responding with the sole purpose of selling cars. But he trends well with the younger audience, they love him and think he's cool. Unlike the older suits.

I think we should be starting an education campaign, talking to reporters and on social media about how ICE cars will go the way of dodo and why it doesn't make sense to buy a new ice vehicle now.

We can debate advantages of electric cars, but I think it's time to raise awareness around the economic downside of trying to sell your ice car in 5-6 years from now.

Yeah, I’m interested in the details of this is well. We probably won’t find out until someone actually tears into one. It seems like they probably removed somewhere around 850 cells. Did they remove whole cell groups, or just pull cells out of every cell group and module?

Need to keep same number of groups to keep pack voltage the same. Each group must have same number of cells to stay balanced (could have disparate, but it would be a pointless waste).
So each group lost the same number of cells. LR is 46 cells per group, SR will be 31 per Wikipedia, so MR is around 38 cells or so.

Guessing they load in empty cells to maintain module integrity. From pics, it looks like it is not as simple as replacing a couple columns due to end groups being shaped differently.

Tesla's "Impossible" Task #9: Paying Off Debt In 2018 & 2019 | CleanTechnica
Nice run down of debt repayment options. I'd quibble with the ordering. I think payment from operating cash should be first.

At any rate, I do think that this debt repayment issue is a major issue suppressing share prices. Moreover, suppressing share price make at least 3 of the 5 repayment options less desirable or less feasible. Two involve issuing stock while a third, taking out debt to refinance, is less workable when equity is weak. So that leaves cash from operations or from savings.

So Tesla does have many ways out, but the market doesn't seem to like the uncertainty of how this could play out.

So what happened to all the 3LR inventory?

Instead of adding it as an ordering option, it's gone. I get it for new production but how about ones languishing in the lots? How will Tesla sell those if no one wants them and no one has an option to order them?

:p

I posted a new video on Twitter with the big Richmond, CA storage lot from this month- it was completely empty.

In late June it was stuffed with Model 3 LRs.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-19-at-1-32-06-PM.png

Does this happen to other people? I haven't even posted all day and somebody decided to systematically disagree my whole life. Not the first time this has happened to me on this board. Weird behavior imo.

Not gonna lie, SP movement today has me shaking my head, but materially I know the co is intact. I don't want to be the guy that sells off most of my position on the earnings pop to try to time the market, so I'm not going to. I've decided to hold my calls staunchly up until the weeks they expire, just as an act of stubbornness if nothing else.

I've been getting a bunch of random disagrees from her over the past few days. Not sure why.

2kja7o.jpg

Last edited:
What if they found out that the 50 kWh SR battery made on this new line had enough increased range that simply adding some additional cells to get it to 260 miles was doable now (and through the end of the year)?
Hi Kelly, how are you?

No, Elon tweeted quite clearly on Thu that the MR pack is just a LR pack with fewer cells put installed, but they can do the MR pack NOW instead of February. So the new pack is what's coming for the SR in 4-6 mths, according to Tesla's Model 3 ordering page.

I do appreciate the digg for the EM quote from Aug 6, thanks.

Cheers!

Tesla's "Impossible" Task #9: Paying Off Debt In 2018 & 2019 | CleanTechnica
Nice run down of debt repayment options. I'd quibble with the ordering. I think payment from operating cash should be first.

At any rate, I do think that this debt repayment issue is a major issue suppressing share prices. Moreover, suppressing share price make at least 3 of the 5 repayment options less desirable or less feasible. Two involve issuing stock while a third, taking out debt to refinance, is less workable when equity is weak. So that leaves cash from operations or from savings.

So Tesla does have many ways out, but the market doesn't seem to like the uncertainty of how this could play out.

Debt roll over will depend more on free cash flow than equity. The auto industry is basically debt heavy and equity weak.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Status
Not open for further replies.