Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• 683D498E-543D-4807-9E28-713AA99BAAAF.png
    683D498E-543D-4807-9E28-713AA99BAAAF.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: anthonyj
"Rolling coal" on a Prius is really more of a "I won't give up this much power which I utilize, for your green powerless nonsense" political statement, not a rejection of nature itself. Rural Americans are in many ways much closer to nature than most of the urban population. Being able to drive around and being able to kill animals is seen as a necessity they cannot compromise on.
Driving a big pickup truck is neutral, not closer to nature not further from it. Rolling coal is showing a distain for nature as it is known to harm the animals you are hunting for food as well as your neighbors (and maybe your own) kids lungs.

I read the first several pages. Here's a key paragraph from it:

"In May 2017, when Defendants stated that the Company was “on track” to meet its mass production goal, as production on a fully automated production line was supposed to be ready to begin, and in August 2017, when production on a fully automated production line was supposed to have already begun a month earlier and Model 3s were supposed to be coming off the line, according to a number of former employees the Company had not yet finished building its automated production lines in either Fremont or Nevada. Tesla was neither ramping up mass production, nor “on track” to mass produce Model 3s at any time on or around the end of 2017. 15. In fact, all of Defendants’ statements regarding progress that the Company had achieved in both Fremont and at the Gigafactory, and the statements they based on these affirmative declarations of actual progress in Model 3 mass production, were false."

IMO, there are some stretch arguments made by the attorneys. However, it does seem at least possible they can prove that Elon and management were not truthful in May and August 2017 when they stated that Tesla was "on track" for mass producing the model 3 by the end of 2017. The lines had not been installed when they were supposed to be, and were not up and running even by July. They appeared to be well behind schedule and did not appear to be "on track." It seems to me it was quite a stretch for Elon to say that they were in fact "on track" at those points. IMO, that was misleading for investors. Of course, he may have felt that they still had a slight chance of getting things rolling by the end of 2017, even if that wasn't actually possible, as is obvious in hindsight.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know how difficult it will be to prove those charges or what that would mean if they were able to prove those things. I do know that I felt confused during that period. Elon was very clear about being in production hell, but that's also different than being behind with installing manufacturing equipment. In hindsight, knowing what we know, Elon could have been more transparent about being behind schedule, rather than continuing to confirm guidance of 5,000 model 3 by the end of 2017. I'm also not a manufacturing expert, so I don't know when it becomes obvious that a stated goal is totally unrealistic. It seems that's an important consideration. Given the weight of the entities seriously investigating this stuff, as well as the lawsuits, I think it's a mistake not to assign some significant risk to this. I don't know what the risk is, but it's not zero. If the SEC or DOJ do initiate lawsuits over it, the SP will suffer greatly.

Simple, civil case was tossed. Criminal is a much higher bar. Must prove intent to deceive sure financial gain. Meaning, there must be an email or other communication that they caught to deceive and critical here, to gain something, which for a public company means selling shares. CEOs can be wrong. They often are. They can also exaggerate, they often do. What they can't do is conspire to deceive and then sell stock to benefit.

Going to be hard to prove minus some emails detailing the plan. She be fooled by a bunch of large lawyerly words, this is what safe harbor statements are for and this is why Elon days production hell 43 times in 3 conference calls. As investors, you must take into account then entirety of the communication on question, not just one sentence where Elon says he thinks they are on schedule.

Nothing burger.

Smoking someone off the line, or while pulling a large load is pretty effective ego killer..... I don’t think it would take long once the Tesla truck shows it’s power....
And let's be real... Prii are effin lame by any metric. These guys are just flexing the closest thing to a macho image they can come up with. A badass, quasi-military, mudding-champion pickup that will smoke them and all their homies' F-whatevers will INSTANTLY change their minds. Electric or not

Yes, that's also the way she does her interview. She's treating the others the same way.

yep, i like kara swisher.
and i like that interview a lot. go back and listen to their prior interviews.
people have to remember they know each other a long long time.

i said thursday TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

i was wrong about the market moving piece (maybe bc friday sucked overall) but i expected the back and forth ribbing, and i think it’s two strong personalities having a regular conversation. she was determined to stick to her line of questioning, but she pressed onwards because she knew she wasn’t going to get 2:30 out of him, surprised she got 80 min really. if she got rogan time, it may have been even better.

It's not about "style". It's about six-figure unimog-sized pickups. Where's the market for that, in meaningful quantities?
Unimog, Hi- luxe? Hilux. You kids are sure working out my phone’s Lookup function on this topic.

And I’m a Texan. Half my carz done been trux! I drive my S thru a canyon of Canyoneros every day...

The ideal pickup truck would not only look good, but would be the most useful in daily use. With a giant battery providing both weight stability and massive power, with some creativity, it can easily be made to assist with many extremely useful tasks that people often use a truck for. For example, the below could be built in or made as options that could go for $2-3k each:

1. Lifting heavy items from ground into its bed and bed to ground, using a built in Tesla hydraulic, extendable lift.
2. Hydraulic truck bed to help pouring things out of its bed. Something like this:
3. Motorized Extendable truck bed for longer items such as wood
4. Motorized truck bed cover.

I would totally get one of these Tesla pickup trucks. Hopeful they’d take functionality and usability into their design.

You're confused. You are not seeing "recognition". What you are seeing is the display for humans. This could be anything at all, and may bear no relation to what the AI understands of its surroundings. Eventually, I think this display will go away entirely. Right now, it does no more than give you a vague idea of what might be happening. It's irrelevant.

yep, pretty much.

also, pretty sure @jimmy_d said in post or in podcast the UI output on the screen isn’t a result of the same process as what’s driving the car. but i know nothing. and he kind of alluded that he was speculating the meaning and potential about some of what he was uncovering as well.
either way someone else better suited for this than me should answer.

frankly i don’t see a big deal here either. the car isn’t hitting these “supposed” obstacles and doesn’t drive erratically because of them.

i’m content to wait until one of upcoming updates addresses it. no biggie.

Last edited:
All of North America prefers F150 sized trucks.

It is unknowable if rural China,Brazil,Russia,Scandinavia, and Australia prefer a Hilux sized truck or specifically a Hilux sized truck's fueling cost.

They might just prefer F150 sized vehicles with fueling cost below that of a Hilux over a compact electric truck with only marginally cheaper fueling cost.

Gonna need that self parking feature. Hard to get the door open in anything wider than a Hilux in many parking areas.

Unimog, Hi- luxe? Hilux. You kids are sure working out my phone’s Lookup function on this topic.

And I’m a Texan. Half my carz done been trux! I drive my S thru a canyon of Canyoneros every day...
Unimogs I didn't hear of until the last couple of years.

I've been aware of Hilux for ages, thanks to Top Gear (first part included various forms of wrecking it, including a wrecking ball, and burial at sea; part 2, part 3 - put it on top of 23 story building that is imploded). Granted, Top Gear is highly scripted. But the widespread international audience of Top Gear brought awareness of the Hilux to many who would never have seen it on their local roads. It's become a meme of sorts for being unkillable.

Gonna need that self parking feature. Hard to get the door open in anything wider than a Hilux in many parking areas.

So is the case in Los Angeles, New York City and many American cities.

Doesn't stop Americans from buying nearly 3M full size trucks per year.

Put it out there and let the market decide.

94 Ford F150 Cars For Sale in Australia
* trucks imported by someone other than Ford and many times converted to RHD

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/ford/f150/

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.