Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The argument against this is the same as it ever was.

No rich person ever rents their residence. They own it. So unless you think all rich people are wrong about this, there is no argument to be made here about owning versus renting your residence.

There are degrees of 'owning'. Every dollar I have used to buy TSLA has come from drawing down my flexible mortgage. So the argument becomes, is a dollar better used to pay down my mortgage, or invested in shares where it might end up paying two dollars off my mortgage. If the shares continue to perform as per Easter till now, it may never make sense to pay down my mortgage.

Reactions: Lessmog
That may well be true, but you can be sure that the richer people get the less %age of their money is exposed to taxes, so they end up paying a very low %age of their total wealth.
I'd like to see taxes based on increase in net wealth each year. If you're wealthy you can avoid those taxes by putting your income back into the economy.

There may be an upset.

538 now gives Dems only 1/2 chance of winning the House.

update : Actually republicans now have a 3 in 5 chance of winning the House.

Nathaniel Rakich
8:27 PM

You may have noticed that our real-time forecast has moved toward Republicans in the House. It’s being too aggressive, in my opinion. The model sees that a bunch of “likely Republican” districts (particularly in Florida) are now 100 percent likely to go red. But there hasn’t been the chance for Democrats to clinch many equivalent likely Democratic districts.

I wanted to be a Time Lord but all I am is a landlord, and nothing can ever be the same.

My rents are always higher than my expenses. I wouldn't rent a place out if I lost money.
Buying is (at least in the Atlanta market) always cheaper than renting as long as you stay for at least 2-3 years.

Every year you get to deduct 1/27th of the buildings value off your regular taxes as depreciation. Several years I have paid close to 0 in taxes.

When you sell you do pay regular taxes on the recaptured depreciation but capital gains on the rest of the profit.
Starting in 2018 real estate receives a MAX capital gains rate of only 15%. Its lower than the regular capital gains rate.

One way around this (which I have not done, and is unethical but legal) is to move into the property for two years.
At the end of two years its taxed as if you always lived there, IE: If married no capital gains taxes on first 500K of profit.

Also if you can retire with no other income the capital gains taxes on the first 77K is 0 !
Good idea to delay Social Security for a few years.

NOTE: This also means you could pay 0% taxes on a 77K capital gains profit on your Tesla stock, if you have no other income that year.

Also if you leave your rentals to your children the recaptured depreciation and capital gains disappear. NO TAX, NONE, NADA !

As that famous evil landlord in new york said "Taxes are for the little people."

The 2018 long-term capital gains "tax brackets"
Long-Term Capital Gains Tax Rate Married Filing Jointly
0% $0-$77,400
15% $77,400-$480,050
20% $480,050 or more

There may be an upset.

538 now gives Dems only 1/2 chance of winning the House.

update : Actually republicans now have a 3 in 5 chance of winning the House.

Situation developing rapidly:
Democrats now have a 2 in 3 chance of taking the House (64.6%)

538.Midterms.Live.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2018-election-results-coverage/

Basic point is - Democrats are doing worse than the polling suggested. They may still sneak by and win the House - but we may not know until a couple of days because of longer time it will take to count votes in CA, WA. Markets won't like this.

If there is a clear winner by tomorrow morning - I think markets will be fine.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
Status
Not open for further replies.