Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drop is most likely, as mentioned before, nervous nellies closing out positions before election results. 'Cause everyone's a fraidy cat.

Showing in the indices as well. Not TSLA-specific.

Doesn't look global to me, more just $TSLA. I think it's shorty-shorts. After all, Einhorn just doubled-down, didn't he? Good time to load up, after a bounce off 348...

That huge dump at the end sinks - someone desperate for $TSLA to close in the red, regardless of money lost...

upload_2018-11-6_22-2-44.png

Doesn't look global to me, more just $TSLA. I think it's shorty-shorts. After all, Einhorn just doubled-down, didn't he? Good time to load up, after a bounce off 348...

Oh, apparently Yahoo Finance's index graphs don't update with the stock ticker. I was showing that NASDAQ was still tanking but looks like it started turning around a short while ago. My bad!

No reason for it to break $348 atm. Shorts and day traders are making money while we wait for some news. Really the only thing that can break that wall.
I STILL, don't believe any fresh news is necessary at all. I STILL believe that the fundamentals of the Q3 report are sufficient to propel a protracted rise until fair value is established.

Do I think we'll GET news soonish? Yeah. Don't believe we need it.

Did you also happen to notice, it's dem ferrerners?

Our provision for income taxes increased by $16.9 million from a benefit of $0.3 million in the three months ended September 30, 2017 to a provision of $16.6 million in the three months ended September 30, 2018. This increase was due to increases in taxable profits in certain foreign jurisdictions.

Excellent observation :)

Bastage ferrener gubmints always stickin it to the man:confused:

Fire Away:)

I read the article (stopped reading SA years ago except for occasional laugh) because I’m always interested in hearing trading ideas. This guy thinks he is smart but there is one tweek to his strategy that would make it much more profitable. I’m going to go ahead and let him burn all his time premium up and therefore a good percentage of his profits since he is short. If he knew what he was doing he could adjust the trade from a slightly different setup and get himself into a no lose situation.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
All right... then why not give the same low capital gains tax rate to lower and middle class laborers and everyone else so they keep more of all their money too? Surely they'll invest some portion of those wages into "lazy income".

Define lower and middle class. You have to get to a certain income where you have enough disposable income to satisfy all the rat race requirements. Once you've attained a nice house, nice car(s), college tuition savings, retirement savings, vacation savings, etc... only then would most people be using excess income to grow wealth in the stock market. Giving the middle and especially the lower class tax breaks is not going to get them to that level of disposable income.

BTW, that nice house IS a capital gains "lazy income" vehicle. Most people will sell a house a nice profit and that profit is taxed at the capital gains rate after a very nice exemption.

I read the article (stopped reading SA years ago except for occasional laugh) because I’m always interested in hearing trading ideas. This guy thinks he is smart but there is one tweek to his strategy that would make it much more profitable. I’m going to go ahead and let him burn all his time premium up and therefore a good percentage of his profits since he is short. If he knew what he was doing he could adjust the trade from a slightly different setup and get himself into a no lose situation.
Are you implying that these guys don't know what they're doing??
The GALL of some people...

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Define lower and middle class. You have to get to a certain income where you have enough disposable income to satisfy all the rat race requirements. Once you've attained a nice house, nice car(s), college tuition savings, retirement savings, vacation savings, etc... only then would most people be using excess income to grow wealth in the stock market. Giving the middle and especially the lower class tax breaks is not going to get them to that level of disposable income.

BTW, that nice house IS a capital gains "lazy income" vehicle. Most people will sell a house a nice profit and that profit is taxed at the capital gains rate after a very nice exemption.
Average gain on a home is just the inflation rate as opposed to 8% for stocks.

I have observed that nobody turns up to my home each day on a mission to add value to it. Whereas more than 30000 people turn up to Tesla workplaces each day on a mission to grow the company.
And that's why a home isn't a "good" investment. People sell their home for 200k more than they paid and think "wow, 200k profit" forgetting the opportunity cost of their money and the thousands of dollars of repairs and updates they did over the years.

And that's why a home isn't a "good" investment. People sell their home for 200k more than they paid and think "wow, 200k profit" forgetting the opportunity cost of their money and the thousands of dollars of repairs and updates they did over the years.
Flip side is you have to live somewhere and renting is in effect not earning you a dime.

Forgetting property tax, insurance, real estate commissions, inspections, tax stamps, title insurance, mortgage interest also

alpha = Pareto index. control implies limit the value of. Which would be obvious if you actually read what I said instead of what you wanted to hear. From Pareto distribution - Wikipedia "When this distribution is used to model the distribution of wealth, then the parameter α is called the Pareto index."

Progressive taxation is precisely an attempt to change the value of the Pareto index. Whether people know it or not. As alpha approaches 0, you'd have theoretically ideal communism. As alpha approaches infinity you would get ideal capitalism.

How is this even close to what I said? It's not.
Ok, you seem to be suggesting that taxation itself is a means to limiting income inequality, the view that taxation is effectively income redistribution. That certainly was not clear to me from your initial post, and I doubt very many readers had any clue this is what you were up to. At any rate, thank you for making your point more clearly.

On a more technical note is seem that if you want to use the Pareto index as a metric for wealth redistribution, it would be better to estimate it on after-tax income, than on before-tax income. Additionally, you may want to check that alpha = infinity is the situation where income is equally distributed. I suspect this is what you are thinking alpha = 0 means.

Regardless, the original info-graphic does gloss over how differences in income inequality from one nation to another makes it problematic to compare tax rates as they have done. Clearly the top 10 percent income earners in the US enjoy a larger share of income distribution than in the other countries. So with any sort of progressive taxation this can make the US stand out as having higher taxes on the top 10 percent. Even if you had equivalent tax schemes in each country, the greater concentration of income in the top 10 percent in the US could drive this effect. So an info-graphic that seems constructed to suggest high taxation in the US may simply be driven by greater income inequality. This brings us right back to the central political problem driving concern about the top 1 percent, which is income inequality. Income inequality makes any tax regime contentious.

I hope we can put this to rest for the greater good of this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.