Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CNBC is showing pre-market trading:

upload_2018-11-12_15-21-58.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
All this off topic chat about capital gains tax versus income tax encouraged me to read up on the local (Australian) rules. Learned two or three things. The CGT does not apply till the stocks are sold. The CGT is at marginal income tax rate on stock held for less than one year, but only half that rate if they've been owned for more than a year! (That's v attractive, possibly as low as 17.5%). Other fact, irrelevant to me, is that professional traders must always pay at full income tax rate - because, well, it's their income.

The result is that I'm buying stock tonight (at $346 if lucky) primarily because I need to keep less funds available to pay CGT. Taking my portfolio from 157 shares up to 200.

Thank you to the off topic posters.

Edit: my tonight is New York's today.

Got 'em. Thank you kindly shorty shorts. Knew I could count on you for a $5 discount.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Interesting story on how Tesla factories are spied upon electronically by companies selling data to hedge funds. Company seems to be Thasos Group that does the factory sniffing.

What Your Phone is Telling Wall Street - Slashdot

I have only one criticism of Elon Musk, namely that he says people should not worry about privacy issues stemming from the use of smartphone/Internet.

Musk has f.ex. dismissed such concerns by arguing that the NSA does not care about your pr0n watching habits - a terrible strawman, in my opinion.

I can see how it can benefit Tesla's Master Plan to collect data from their customer's cars as they drive (although that is a severe invasion of the Tesla buyers privacy, even in light of the fact that every other competent car maker does the same).

I can however only see nefarious motives for not making the Tesla phone app open-source, which would allow the use of the app also by those Tesla owners who realize that if you run someone else's app on your phone, your phone is no longer yours.

So now that Musk so to say gets a taste of his own medicine, I am curious to see if the above revelation will lead to any policy changes at Tesla's factories regarding non-company devices.

Words of a policy that restricts the use of non-company devices by Tesla staff at work to protect Tesla's information while keeping the Tesla app closed source would in my opinion confirm Elon Musk's hypocrisy regarding the right to privacy.

Dump aapl is nearsighted. Put $$$$ in cash is conservative. Just wish US China trade war eases soon. Only smart ones put $$$$$$$ into TSLA now because TSLA is hot and will be 3 or 5 times higher in next 3 and 5 years.

Of course this was a message to the outside world, not TMC investors...

Probably a good moment to buy AAPL, actually... Not as good as TSLA though, but many still see it as a bit risky.

Reactions: mutle
Status
Not open for further replies.