Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. Here is yahoo data from June.
View attachment 352241
Let's put this to an end.
Here are the fillings from FMR:
EDGAR Search Results
So there are two 13F filing before the latest Sept update:

Aug-10th 13F-HR:
SEC FORM 13-F Information Table
Here they reported multiple entries under different manages, total
= 11,196,766 shares

Sept-7th 13F-HR/A:
There is only one entry for TSLA, column 7 set as "1,5", total
= 9,872,686 shares

Notice sum of these two numbers = 21,069,452 which is the number that Nasdaq showed FMR holds before the last update:
Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Institutional Ownership & Holdings

I am not exactly sure whether a 13F-NR/A is supposed to be an update or addition. But if you check the column 7, the biggest entry on Aug-10th also have "1,5", I would guess the Sept-7 13F-HR/A is an update to that single entry instead of addition of a new entry.

If that holds true, it means on Sept-7th FMR holds total
= 11,195,866

Then on Nov-9 filing they hold total
= 9,094,405

Which is about 2M decrease, nowhere near the 11M implied from Nasdaq numbers.

Also note, this is supposed to be the number they hold on Sept-30, which is before the bottom in early Oct, they might have bought some back since then.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Let's put this to an end.
Here are the fillings from FMR:
EDGAR Search Results
So there are two 13F filing before the latest Sept update:

Aug-10th 13F-HR:
Here they reported multiple entries under different manages, total
= 11,196,766 shares

Sept-7th 13F-HR/A:
There is only one entry for TSLA, column 7 set as "1,5", total
= 9,872,686 shares

Notice sum of these two numbers = 21,069,452 which is the number that Nasdaq showed FMR holds before the last update:
Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Institutional Ownership & Holdings

I am not exactly sure whether a 13F-NR/A is supposed to be an update or addition. But if you check the column 7, the biggest entry on Aug-10th also have "1,5", I would guess the Sept-7 13F-HR/A is an update to that single entry instead of addition of a new entry.

If that holds true, it means on Sept-7th FMR holds total
= 11,195,866

Then on Nov-9 filing they hold total
= 9,094,405

Which is about 2M decrease, nowhere near the 11M implied from Nasdaq numbers.

Also note, this is supposed to be the number they hold on Sept-30, which is before the bottom in early Oct, they might have bought some back since then.

The root issue would then be the box for new was checked on the HR/A instead of the box for ammended.
SmartSelect_20181113-084829_Firefox.jpg

Along with filling it out wrong
If your filing includes incorrect information, you should correct any error(s) and file an amendment. The institutional investment manager that filed the Form 13F that is being corrected must file the amendment.

On the Cover Page, you restate the original calendar quarter for which the report was filed, and check the box that designates the subsequent filing as an amendment for such quarterly filing. You should also assign a number to the amendment (e.g., one for the first amendment, two for the second amendment, and so on) in order to distinguish between different amendments for the quarter.

In making such an amendment, you must resubmit your entire filing, as corrected. See Rule 13f-1(a)(2) under the Securities Exchange Act and Special Instruction 4 to Form 13F [Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) file]. When you resubmit the entire filing, your amended filing will supersede your original filing. On the Cover Page, you should check only the box that designates the amendment as a restatement. The Cover Page also is the place to include any brief explanatory remarks about the amendment. You should insert such explanatory remarks on the Cover Page after the signature of the person signing the report, and preceding the Report Type section. See Special Instruction 5 to Form 13F [Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) file].
Division of Investment Management: FAQ About Form 13F

I can understand the confusion...

Twitter user stated that the earlier referenced CNBC article/video stated battery cost $118/KWh and decreasing...
This is true, but it was stated as the best analyst estimate, and we know how that goes :rolleyes:.

I found it comical that at the end of the clip Becky Quick essentially said that it's amazing to see that that actually exists and even admitted that they probably give Elon too much of a hard time.

Yes, the 420 secured caused a lot of damage to my OTM calls. You simply state you "weren't that stupid", but nobody could have seen that coming

As someone who was one of the few voices on this forum warning against irrational optimism when almost everyone here was talking about massive privatization-driven short squeezes, I would have to disagree with this statement. I was actually considering selling, but I took too long; had the price held for another day or two, I would have likely liquefied a large chunk of my TSLA assets.

Why?

First off, I was in disagreement about the potential / potential scale of such a squeeze. Note my sig; that replaced my previous sig arguing against the short squeeze exuberance. It caused quite a controversy at the time.

Regardless of whether people here agreed with me, Tesla bears certainly did not believe in any huge >$420 short squeeze. They saw $420 as a cap. The market clearly judged - despite people here investing at ~$380 - that there was ample probability for the deal to go awry (do I need to point out that as much as we may not like to admit it, they were right?).

We know how these things go. The bears' "Tesla is burning cash and en route to failure" narrative was still very much alive and influential at the time. And in this regime, whenever any good news about Tesla came out, it always led to a bunch of armchair sleuths "figuring out the real reason why this couldn't be good news". These negative arguments then would get shared and amplified (including by mainstream outlets), and eventually take down any price spike. With a limited upside and significant potential to wear down optimism, I saw holding as a poor investment at that time.... under one condition: that I'd be able to get back into Tesla later.

This, however, was the issue: in the initial chaos, I wasn't sure I'd be able to get back in before any privatization vote. I had no clue how long the timescales under discussion would be and any nuance that would be involved. It took me a couple days to get a handle on this, and decide that there was no immediacy. But by then the stock had dropped to ~$350, and shortly thereafter, ~$338. While that didn't convince me to go into a buying mode, it certainly took my interest out of selling.

But I can tell you this: I certainly had no interest in buying at ~$380. Which positioned me as one of the more bearish members of this forum at the time - a somewhat odd position to be in. So when you argue that "nobody could have seen coming" a price fall, that's simply not true.

Just one example: let's say Q4 is NOT a beat, and is just break-even given some extra investments in China and let's say European gigafactories. Long term bulls could still applaud 'cause the stock retains its potential for growth. Short term option holders would be sugar out of luck.

Exactly. Short-term options are riskier. Which is why the premiums are lower and profit potential higher.

I've done enough profit taking to shore up my cash position for my non-investment needs. The rest that I've taken out is ready for new investment opportunities, and we're hovering near prices that I'd feel comfortable buying at. With this money, I'm looking to maximize probability-weighted profit potential, rather than to achieve guaranteed returns.

Last edited:
So well said. In addition, imagine the magic of Manhattan, London or Paris without the noise that ICE cars produce. On Bastille Day, there's a ban for cars in Paris's centre. The resulting silence is truly phenomenal and an amazing experience. Once the festivities are over and the cars come back in, you can hear their roar from far away. In an instant, everything is back to being loud, smelly and unpleasant. EVs will reduce stress levels and increase happiness, in addition to the obvious health and evironmental benefits.

And in Manhatten, imagine the melodious sounds of car horns, bleating their turne, echoing throughout the groves of buildings, without so much as an exhaust note to diminish their call of the urban jungle ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.