Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla will be discounting cars delivered January onwards $3750 to make up for the tax credit. Elon will say that margins have improved so they will be able to do it. Watch

I certainly hope NOT as I feel the car is very competitively priced. Tesla needs to be like Apple in that regard and keep margins high and provide a superior product. Let the others begin the new "race to the bottom" .... Margins for traditional car companies suck and I, as an investor, want no part of that business.

Cheers to the longs

Yeah, I'm not selling in December. This could become a sustained rally through June, just like Dec 2016.

I like to watch the technical traders since they form a large part of the daily volume, but I think Macros and Fundamentals are the drivers now.

I didn't day-trade during Q3, either. ;)
Cheers!

Agreed. The lead on NASDAQ has shortened and steadied at 2% so no acceleration for now. Still ahead of the curve so nothing to complain about.

...and just before posting I double checked and it is picking up above 2% again. I like that, keeping the lead!

If I sold anything now the stock would never see $300 levels again :(
Zach F's chart just above....that 2017 trend looks pretty similar to this to me...and I never got back what I sold under $100

Model S' were out for about 1 year in some quantity. I got mine early and was just shocked that the stock price stayed the same. Model 3's are pretty sick and there are a serious crapload in CA. I counted more Model 3 than BMW's in the bay area (Los Altos area / hwy280) share price is lagging big time..again <snip>

I think you have a lot of company. This guy, for example:

"All investors make mistakes from time to time, and I'm no exception. In my case, I consider my biggest investing mistake to be selling excellent stocks too early simply because they had gone up in price.

My best and worst investment of all time

One of the questions I get asked most often is "What is the best investment you've ever made?" Well, my answer has changed slightly in recent times (more on that in a bit), but for a long while it was an easy response. In 2011, I bought shares of Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) for about $23. If you look at Tesla's stock price history since then, it's easy to see why I consider this a particularly good call.

The natural follow-up question I often get is "OK, so what was your worst investment ever?"

The answer always catches people by surprise -- Tesla. Or, more specifically, selling Tesla when I did, and why I did, is what I consider to be my worst investment move ever.

Not long after I had bought my shares, in late 2012, Tesla's soon-to-be-released Model S sedan was unexpectedly named Motor Trend's "Car of the Year," and shares took off. When the stock had reached approximately $58 in mid-2013, I decided I'd better lock in my profits and get out.

Now, I had more than doubled my investment in a little over a year, and for a while that was my best-performing investment ever, which is why it was my answer for "best investment ever." On the other hand, I left tons of gains on the table, as Tesla trades for about $375 per share as I write this. Pulling the trigger and selling too early cost me more than $300 per share on a rather large investment by my standards.​

My Biggest Investing Mistake -- and How You Can Avoid It -- The Motley Fool

Last edited:
Getting back to the discussions regarding margins, I would really LOVE to see:

Tesla partner with Apple to lock up the service revenue on the cars infotainment system, Get into the auto insurance game (only insuring the world's safest cars... teslas), provide a service package .. basically ANYTHING that ensures they get to keep the well to do Tesla customer base paying a monthly stream of income. And I'm really surprised there is not more of a push/incentive for Tesla customers to bundle solar with their car purchase .... those two go together IMHO ... ANYONE who buys a Tesla and is a homeowner should be an easy convert to solar ....

Cheers to the longs

I actually contacted that parking garage (in Norway), but they didn't have anything useful to suggest. And just AC connections, not DC chargers. Free to customers, pay for everyone else.

Didn't realize that they actually sell cables that long (where did you get them?). Basically, the idea is just buy whatever chargers, and replace the cables with very long ones on reels? That might be a viable solution (a bit awkward, but workable).
OT
I used EVoCharge and they only charged me for the parts and I was out of warranty by about 6 months. Maybe $250 for both cordsets. Not necessarily recommending as it took 6 months to get them fixed but they're working.
EVoReel, EVoReel Charging Station – Wall and Ceiling Mount, SAE J1772 AC Level 2
The retro pump was from a guy in Tennessee and he built a custom frame internal to support the reels. Very reasonable.
Retro Gas Pumps | Hand-Crafted Custom, Themed, Replica Antique Gasoline Pumps

• Informative
Reactions: KarenRei
Well good morning Ms. $36X!

Tesla partner with Apple to lock up the service revenue on the cars infotainment system, Get into the auto insurance game (only insuring the world's safest cars... teslas), provide a service package .. basically ANYTHING that ensures they get to keep the well to do Tesla customer base paying a monthly stream of income. And I'm really surprised there is not more of a push/incentive for Tesla customers to bundle solar with their car purchase .... those two go together IMHO ... ANYONE who buys a Tesla and is a homeowner should be an easy convert to solar ....

Cheers to the longs
I agree on bundling and I think that is what might push TSLA to be valued at the seemingly crazy 4k levels. Disagree on insurance though. Core competencies are important and sooner or later other carriers will update their tables to reflect Tesla safety levels (I think they already are)

Cheers to the longs
I got an email from Tesla a couple of days ago asking me if I was interested in lowering my utility bills, so they are already doing this.

I actually contacted that parking garage (in Norway), but they didn't have anything useful to suggest. And just AC connections, not DC chargers. Free to customers, pay for everyone else.

Didn't realize that they actually sell cables that long (where did you get them?). Basically, the idea is just buy whatever chargers, and replace the cables with very long ones on reels? That might be a viable solution (a bit awkward, but workable).
OT
Just be aware that a rolled-up cable heats up more and thus should have a reduced power rating.

Thanks, oh prescient one!
No, really, thanks,
I've been quietly impressed with your calls for awhile now. As you were stating, I believe that with your awareness of global/micro/macro trends, your swing trading would be quite consistently successful, and with good exit strategy is a no-brainer. If one had insights and analysis chops that you seem to excel at.
Insert blushing emoji,

followed by high five emoji. ;-)

mkt rally could get us over 370$ today or tomorrow. At that point I'd be an interim term seller.

I'm out the $345 calls for 29.95$. They've flat lined here, could push to 33$, but I'll take the money today.

Insert blushing emoji,

followed by high five emoji. ;-)

mkt rally could get us over 370$ today or tomorrow. At that point I'd be an interim term seller.

I'm out the $345 calls for 29.95$. They've flat lined here, could push to 33$, but I'll take the money today.
see, now you had to edit your post so my 'funny' rating looks silly.

$TSLA has fallen below the 2% lead which, combined with the general decline, makes 370 today seem unlikely. But I'd take your opinion over mine any day :oops:

Reactions: neroden
Bloomberg now at 4144 per week and dropping. Still think it will be in the three thousands by the end of the quarter...or at least according to Bloomberg....:)

I am no longer able to see Troys worksheet. Is there still updated numbers there.

Feel like this could be under a better thread and there maybe already one started but couldn't find it.

Mis disculpas.

Bloomberg now at 4144 per week and dropping. Still think it will be in the three thousands by the end of the quarter...or at least according to Bloomberg....:)

I am no longer able to see Troys worksheet. Is there still updated numbers there.

Feel like this could be under a better thread and there maybe already one started but couldn't find it.

Mis disculpas.

Troy's tracker

Moe's Tesla Investor Dashboard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.