Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think EU pushed hard at all. They've basically stuck to their rules all along, from day one, extremely transparent. Why on Earth the UK could possibly imagine they could leave the Common Market and not have a hard border between Eire and Northern Ireland is a mystery.

Even more mysterious is why now there's a deal on the table, the British people can't be allowed to vote on that? How can this be "against democracy"? When the UK voted the last time, nobody had any clue what "leaving the EU" actually meant, now they do and could make a more informed decision. Some idiots even believed, based on a bus slogan, that the NHS would receive £350million per week extra as a result. Many people voted LEACE just based on that, but it has since been exposed as a complete falsehood.

I think Theresa May has shown herself to be very resilient, which is admirable, but she's also shown herself to be stubborn and incapable of compromise, which is a tragedy.
Always instructive esp for those of us isolated from Europe. BUT: I'll claim you're being merely mischievously rhetorical with that "mystery". It's no mystery: the almost halcyonic aftermath of The Peace bringing to an end the searing many decades (and, in effect, several centuries) of the tragedy that was Divided Ireland. Many residents on both sides of the Irish Sea that I have spoken to about this suggest - in effect - they sooner would give up their right arms...their mothers...their grandchildren...UK's place in the EU...before they allow anything to imperil that peace - and a hard border would, in their minds, so imperil it.

seriously? they better get moving a bit faster.......
upload_2018-12-5_9-37-21.png

View attachment 358077

Just in time for ICE sales to drop to around zero, according to this:

EVs, Oil, And ICE: Impact By 2023 And Beyond | Seeking Alpha

Edit: if unable to view, Now You Know discuss on YouTube, Tuesday's In Depth edition.
Thank you for sharing that. Is that SA entry yours?
One point of discussion concerns the trend toward shared vehicles rather than individual ownership. I myself have not followed closely that theory, primarily because I am a poster child for vehicle ownership (my fleet is enormous by most standards other than the Jay Leno Standard). However, if it is correct, then it concludes overall vehicle numbers would, I believe, continue to drop in the ensuing decades.
Thoughts?

From the Tesla Model 3 page (from German via Google Translate):

If you charge at home at night, the battery is fully charged when you wake up in the morning. And charging is also easy on the move: Simply connect it to a public charging station or a charging station on the Tesla charging network.
I see this as confirmation that the Model 3 will come with a CCS plug

Thank you for sharing that. Is that your SA entry?
One point of discussion concerns the trend toward shared vehicles rather than individual ownership. I myself have not followed closely that theory, primarily because I am a poster child for vehicle ownership (my fleet is enormous by most standards other than the Jay Leno Standard). However, if it is correct, then it concludes overall vehicle numbers would, I believe, continue to drop in the ensuing decades.
Thoughts?
I expect people to just not replace their vehicles until they can afford an electric car. If so, the total number of vehicles doesn't need to drop.

Reactions: mongo and neroden
Paying -- in the high brackets -- about 50% taxes each time you roll them, instead of paying no taxes indefinitely and then 20% when you happen to sell a little bit. When you start looking at the long term, the value of the indefinitely-deferred taxation adds up. To a lot.
I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

The max income tax rate (which would apply to short term cap gains) is 37%, not 50%. Is there something else that gets added to make it around 50% I'm overlooking ?

On long term capital gains, the max rate is 23.8% - including Obamacare taxes.

A question for experienced investors. What do you do with the tax money you have to pay when you sell ? For eg., now that I sold my calls and I've to pay a substantial amount of taxes - how do I invest that money till Jan end when I'll pay it as part of my Q4 tax pre-payment ? I could buy CDs or write puts (not sure whether the broker will allow me to do both).

Reactions: humbaba
That's already been confirmed. CCS standard in Europe, CCS adapter coming in the US and for existing European Teslas. Superchargers will be steadily changed over to CCS.

Well, actually there is no confirmation of a US CCS adapter, and so far they have only said that the Superchargers in Europe will have CCS plugs added. (not that they will be changed over to CCS.)

Reactions: neroden and M|S|W
Jin SEO on Twitter

Another short has covered.

If you are short TSLA, you need to take a hard look at today's price action. My guess is that someone is, and has been, accumulating for some reason. This appears to be beyond the normal drooler demand.

I closed out my short today if that motivates you to make a decision.

I wouldn't take 38k as face value: ''depending on how you count it, the current cost of a standard range Model 3 would be around $38,000''

There's a lot of conditional in that phrase! Plus I don't know that any executive with his mind right would just go out and disclose the production cost of a product, even in an confidential email to his employees.

As for the cost of $78k for a P3D, I was under the understanding this was retail price, cost for customer.
Elon already did that when he essentially validated the teardown that estimated the production cost breaking out both parts and labor.

At this point they could just buy February calls to hedge their position. The "hedges" are basically naked short calls with a cap, so buying calls cancels them out perfectly. Not sure why they wouldn't... unless, as you say, they don't believe TSLA can hold this level and are speculating on it.
Buying calls is exactly what I'd expect them to be doing. Whatever F.I. Tesla is using - the part of the F.I. that is responsible for this kind of hedge/insurance will most likely have policies that will enforce low risk. All these FIs have a separate trading departments with larger risk allowance that may speculate.

I expect people to just not replace their vehicles until they can afford an electric car. If so, the total number of vehicles doesn't need to drop.
My understanding is that is ø1 of the phenomenon; after that occurs then new sales will diminish. But as I wrote, I've not been following closely either the theory or the phenomenon...except that, even in Alaska!!!!!...I'm seeing far larger than should be expected of teenagers not getting their drivers' licenses (or driving, not mutually exclusive activities:eek:).

I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

The max income tax rate (which would apply to short term cap gains) is 37%, not 50%. Is there something else that gets added to make it around 50% I'm overlooking ?
There's a state income tax in my state.

You're in Washington state, so I can see why you didn't think of this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.