Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NASDAQ playing the role of Buzz Killington, per usual...

EnormousPinkDiplodocus-max-1mb.gif

$TSLA short interest is $10.18 bn, 28.04 mm shares shorted, 21.81% of float, borrow rate is 30bp fee. Shares shorted is down 237k in December as $Tesla's stock price rose 5.97%. Shorts are down $589 mm of mark-to-market losses in December, bringing YTD MTM losses to $2.45 billion

So it’s either not much covering or those that are covering are being replaced by new shorts thinking this is a top....

VW NA CEO Scott Keogh in an interview with Green Card Report.

Quotes:

A while ago when Dealers and VW Managers met they said "This Tesla thing is a joke"

Confronted with that Tesla dominates some segments in the US already he said: "No question if you enter in the car it feels like driving in the future"

"You simply see it slowly coming. I am since 26 years in this industry and I watch it since a while, you simply can see it" " And it happens right here right now."

VW-USA-Chef: Ein Tesla fährt sich wie die Zukunft > Teslamag.de

Keogh with his responsibility for NA feels the heat and is directly exposed to the Tesla effect. Diess and the top Manager in Wolfsburg (HQ) are still far away and consider Tesla with moderate sales of the S and X still as no real competition. At least they can catch up quickly just throwing money in it.

Keogh mentions the EV Battery as differentiator but not Tesla explicitly. My take away is that although they certainly have tiered down model S,X and 3 they consider it as an overall movement to EVs and the EV itself with the Battery creates a futuristic driving experience.

If it would be just about the EVs as such than I ask myself why the so called Tesla EV Killers from the competition are not at least on paar with Tesla in the US where all models are sold. You don't find the Bold, Leaf, eGolf or I-Pace top on the list but far away behind.

My conclusion out of that interview is that VW does still not take Tesla seriously and underestimates what they are facing. Its a long way from "this Tesla thing is a joke" to "This Tesla thing is a serious threat".

And finally a quote from Audi to illustrate how well the know Tesla and EVs, Carter Balkcom, Audi’s Ingolstadt-based product marketing manager for electric vehicles: “Maybe you’re a guy that says my Tesla breaks down all the time, so I’m ready for Audi’s answer to EVs,”

... and more "“I don’t think the customer cares about the absolute efficiency number,” said Matthew Mostafaei, Audi E-Tron vehicle manager. “There are a number of other factors that are more important.”

2019 Audi E-Tron First Drive: A Mainstream Electric Move

Last edited:

$TSLA short interest is $10.18 bn, 28.04 mm shares shorted, 21.81% of float, borrow rate is 30bp fee. Shares shorted is down 237k in December as $Tesla's stock price rose 5.97%. Shorts are down $589 mm of mark-to-market losses in December, bringing YTD MTM losses to $2.45 billion

So it’s either not much covering or those that are covering are being replaced by new shorts thinking this is a top....
Uh,,,Mr Short,,,,we have a message here for you from a,,,,Mr Call. First name Margin I believe. He said it's important.

Shorts likely assume the SP will bounce back at $ 389 like before and retreat moving down. I am not surprised that they go in though.

If we bounce they make money if not they just put further fuel in the fire and a break-out will be even more dynamic.

With short interest still around 10 gigadollar, I am guessing there is still shenanigans and volatility ahead...

VW NA CEO Scott Keogh in an interview with Green Card Report.

Quotes:

A while ago when Dealers and VW Managers met they said "This Tesla thing is a joke"

Confronted with that Tesla dominates some segments in the US already he said: "No question if you enter in the car it feels like driving in the future"

"You simply see it slowly coming. I am since 26 years in this industry and I watch it since a while, you simply can see it" " And it happens right here right now."

VW-USA-Chef: Ein Tesla fährt sich wie die Zukunft > Teslamag.de

Keogh with his responsibility for NA feels the heat and is directly exposed to the Tesla effect. Diess and the top Manager in Wolfsburg (HQ) are still far away and consider Tesla with moderate sales of the S and X still as no real competition. At least they can catch up quickly just throwing money in it.

Keogh mentions the EV Battery as differentiator but not Tesla explicitly. My take away is that although they certainly have tiered down model S,X and 3 they consider it as an overall movement to EVs and the EV itself with the Battery creates a futuristic driving experience.

If it would be just about the EVs as such than I ask myself why the so called Tesla EV Killers from the competition are not at least on paar with Tesla in the US where all models are sold. You don't find the Bold, Leaf, eGolf or I-Pace top on the list but far away behind.

My conclusion out of that interview is that VW does still not take Tesla seriously and underestimates what they are facing. Its a long way from "this Tesla thing is a joke" to "This Tesla thing is a serious threat".
VW didn't take diesel seriously, so unlikely they see any value in EVs unless they can get their special software for testing...

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
Status
Not open for further replies.