Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beyond solicitation I believe the question here is also that of bad faith and the question of whether Lopez and co-conspirators profited from publishing those materials, knowingly putting Tesla in a falsely negative light. Business Insider also doesn't have a spotless background, according to Wikipedia:

"Business Insider's CEO and Editor-In-Chief Henry Blodget is a Yale history graduate who previously worked on Wall Street until he was banned for life from the securities industry because of his violations of securities laws and subsequent civil trial, which ended with a $2 million fine plus a $2 million disgorgement and the permanent ban in 2003."​

For example it an was interesting coincidence that the timing of negative articles was often conveniently timed to $TSLA weekly option expires. We'd often get a negative headline a few hours before expiry, when expiring out-of-money options could be purchased very, very cheaply due to their very low residual time value, and temporary price action could offer significant leverage.

If such links are proven then I think the First Amendment will offer very little protection.

There's also other significant jurisdictions outside the U.S. that have a much dimmer view on journalists lying and have no First Amendment protections.

(IANAL and just speculating here, of course.)

Interesting, I wasn't aware of Blodget's securities ban. I doubt we'll see any SEC investigation here but this does explain a lot about Business Insider apparent manipulation goals.

“Tesla is already offering a wealth of future-oriented features — features that can save lives, features you know we will all have someday — [which] has the power to change how potential customers think,” notes Burrus. He adds, “From a customer experience perspective, that’s a powerful shift. Any time you can make the competition seem like they are offering yesterday’s features and functions, and you are offering tomorrow’s, you can accelerate growth.”

Tesla Model X Test Drive Causes Unusual Phenomenon

>>> "He recounts that he’d also taken test drives with the newest SUVs from BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Cadillac. “However, it was when I drove the Tesla Model X that I felt like I was driving in the future. After that test drive, my view of the other brands was changed. All the others instantly felt like the past,” says Burrus."

This is totally true.

But I would add at certain point, you no longer think you are driving in the future, but in the present, and all those gas cars making all that noise and belching all that smoke seem very dated, like something from the 1800s.

I constantly drive around and think, all these cars are going to be replaced... and then buy some more TSLA.

OT

People who aren't, should not buy Teslas and I've been telling them not to (they're buying them anyway, and then getting angry at Tesla)
OT (17 mins before market open)

While it may be your stance that you shouldn't own a Tesla under those circumstances, I suggest the more appropriate message to convey is "Be informed of the sales and service situation, understand the alternatives, and make an informed decision for yourself."

Suggesting that someone should not do something on clearly subjective grounds (as is obviously the case as subsequent posters have attested to) seems a bit presumptuous.

(13 mins to go...)

Last edited:
Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

$TSLA short interest is $10.14 bn; 27.64 mm shares shorted; 21.50% of float, 30 bp stock borrow cost. Still most shorted U.S. domestic stock ahead of $AMZN ($9.14bn) & $AAPL ($7.82bn.) Shorts are down $450 mm in mark-to-market losses in Dec, down $2.3 bn YTD

DuONZG1XgAAvzYL.jpg:large

You are quite correct and I hope that happens. But I still doubt Tesla sees even 1/100th of the 167 million from Tripp.

The bigger fish behind him are certainly way more important to expose/punish.

I wonder if this law suit has to do with the new General Counsel Tesla has on board. Looks like a change in strategy to me and that could mean if Tripp has to testify under oath there may be some interesting information coming out about who is the marionette player here ....

This is certainly not about the money but more to make it clear that if you do a crime against Tesla you just do not go away with it that easily.

Iays it is trickier, but you can still see a transaction that takes place on the bid (or lower) as being initiated by a seller while a transaction that takes place on the ask (or higher) was initiated by a buyer. Without those initiators, the bid and ask would just fluctuate with no transactions. The entities providing bids and offers are essentially saying I will buy or sell if someone else will meet my price while the person who places the market order (or targets the bid or ask) wants to buy (or sell) now. These days there is a lot of pay for order flow where transactions take place between the bid and ask and that makes it more difficult to label the shares traded as having been "buy" or "sell" volume. Finally it has always been more common to measure "up" and "down" volume which is similar too, but not the same as "buyer/seller" initiated volume.
perhaps this may not belong here, none the less, here goes
there is a _crude_ indicator called the Accumultion/Distribution indicator that somewhat attempts to tease out this information, based upon Open, High, Low, Close and Volume to give a running total of all trades with a tiny bit of a scintilla of a glimpse into "what the heck was that!!??""
For example 1) March 2016 to the "Speigel bottom" of 11/30/2016 - 12/2/2016, the Accum/Dist line went from ~70 million down to about 20 million
since 11/30/2016 to date, the Accum/Dist line has turned around and gone from ~20 million to around 250 million indicating (at least to me) there has been both a lowering of basis price and quiet accumulation of upward pressure.
i'm more than happy to be pointed out why i'm wrong and to a lesser extent correct
(and i cannot figure how to edit this dratted thing, and I've been using computers since 1968) aarggh!!!
[/ATTACH]
example march 1, 2016 to 11/30/2016
upload_2018-12-12_9-33-29.png
)
example 11/30/2016 to date

upload_2018-12-12_9-26-31.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.