Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Tripp's gofundme page...

View attachment 360321

$200 closer to margin call ;)

(Hey "Shorty Airforce", which reads this thread - yes, this is schadenfreude about you guys losing your shirts. Perhaps if most of you weren't such terrible people I'd feel sorry for you instead. Go ahead and screenshot this and share it with your bankrupt Twitter friends)

We’ll see how this goes — initiated what I hope is my first swing trade yesterday — based on 1) stickiness of $360 price due to bond conversion price, and 2) likely small squeeze yesterday AM due to TSLA and macros battle on Monday. After a $370 limit sell order closed in the morning, entered a limit buy order for same number of shares at $360. Had a hunch it might only go to $361, but I did $360 anyway. Dang it, it went to $360.xx. Not feeling so smart this AM, but we’ll see what happens as we approach the Friday close.

Not sure I like this feeling.

Here is one legit TSLA short:

cute kid, he reminds me of my son!

the sad thing is, he basically gets it ... do research, try to draw logical conclusions. he even understands predicting the future is hard. kudos to him.

his only mistake is trusting the information available to him, and that's a very sad lesson. he did his due diligence and honestly researched the company, only to be fed a ton of disingenuous articles written by authors with ulterior motives clubbing Tesla and its stock price. his conclusion was totally reasonable, even though it was absolutely wrong.

i remember being so optimistic and excited in the 90s when the internet first started becoming a widespread consumer product -- i was convinced access to so much pure information, and the crowdsourcing involved in sifting through it all, would lead ultimately to truth winning out over mistakes, misconceptions, myths, lies, and propaganda. I really thought such massive access to verifiable information would build a latticework of quality information that we'd all be operating from, and it'd be harder for untrue things to propagate and perpetuate themselves.

yeah, yeah, wipe those tears of laughter away. BOY HOWDY DID I MISS ON THAT ONE.

if anything, the opposite seems to be the case. anyone peddling anything that's not true, for any reason, can simply use the massive scope of the internet to find like-minded peers anywhere in the world to reinforce almost any arbitrary belief. And with a little work and persistence, it's not hard at all to make a crackpot theory seem like a legitimate alternative viewpoint.

truth is more muddied than ever, and doesn't seem to have any inherent advantage over fiction regardless of how much information is made available. that realization shocked me. ultimately, it's simply a defect in human nature, and access to technology isn't going to solve that (unless we're talking about technology that fundamentally alters our own wiring).

Did anyone else know that Tripp had fled to Hungary?

-----------------
DuLyeR_U8AEmg85.jpg

-----------------

I wonder... any lawyers here... could a defendant moving to another country after a lawsuit was filed appear to be an attempt to evade justice, and cause problems for them in court?

Tesla will be fine with going to Europe for this, Tripp will have to pay his lawyers 300/hr or more to fly to Europe and will have to hire a local lawyer.

BTW., I don't think it is (or should be) about "revenge", it's a long overdue act of deterrence.

Tesla was IMHO fighting FUD and outright fraud of short sellers and competitors with kid gloves - while in reality Tesla has every right to be outraged at the libel and damage to the brand, damage to customers and investors, and they have every right to seek compensatory and punitive damages and the law is fully on their side.

Tesla was writing blog posts about the 'Tesla Death Watch' fraudsters who apparently filed fraudulent complaints with the NHTSA - Tesla should have sued the hell out of them and their enablers instead.

I think the eye opening moment for Elon was when the FUD got so bad to sic the SEC on them: the SEC, a federal agency tasked with detecting and fighting fraud cited short-seller false narratives in their legal complaint - i.e. the SEC got conned/defrauded by short sellers themselves (!)... That was the point when Elon and Tesla lawyered up seriously I think.

Tesla should emulate Apple here too: Apple is a bulldog when it comes to protective litigation.

Tesla should throw not just the book on them but the whole library as well, to make sure the message is received. Once Tesla is done with Tripp, Lopez and any others, future Tripp's and Lopez's might think twice before attacking Tesla.

"Free speech" does not mean and should not mean "free of consequences".

I won't sugar coat my intentions since I am no saint. For me it is revenge. For TSLA as a corporation and Elon as someone who needs to save the planet from warming up, it is deterrence from a thousand butter knives. Either way the interest aligns and I as a shareholder approve.

Criminal liability doesn't necessarily stop with Mr. Tripp though: if he was aided and abetted by members of the media, for example by a certain Linette Lopez at "Business Insider" who appears to have used Tripp as a primary source frequently, then the liability - and Tesla's ability to collect damages - might extend to much more wealthy entities as well.

If such evidence emerges Tesla could also amend their complaint with RICO claims and ask for triple damages - i.e. 500 million dollars (!). It would also give Tesla the right to discovery from Ms. Lopez and Business Insider in general, request identifying transaction details of short sellers, and generally pierce the corporate veil of underlying monetary interests that conspired against Tesla in a potentially criminal fashion.

So if Business Insider, or short sellers, or Tesla competitors did something shady and criminal, and it can be proven by Tesla, or Tripp flips on Lopez and others and delivers evidence of a criminal conspiracy, this could be the "Terry Gene Bollea (a.k.a. Hulk Hogan) vs. Gawker Media" moment of Tesla FUD spreading media outlets - and/or of short sellers and other entities criminally connected to Mr. Tripp.

Beyond being able to collect damages, Tesla would also set a precedent of aggressively going after those who are trying to harm them.

You are quite correct and I hope that happens. But I still doubt Tesla sees even 1/100th of the 167 million from Tripp.

The bigger fish behind him are certainly way more important to expose/punish.

cute kid, he reminds me of my son!

the sad thing is, he basically gets it ... do research, try to draw logical conclusions. he even understands predicting the future is hard. kudos to him.

his only mistake is trusting the information available to him, and that's a very sad lesson. he did his due diligence and honestly researched the company, only to be fed a ton of disingenuous articles written by authors with ulterior motives clubbing Tesla and its stock price. his conclusion was totally reasonable, even though it was absolutely wrong.

i remember being so optimistic and excited in the 90s when the internet first started becoming a widespread consumer product -- i was convinced access to so much pure information, and the crowdsourcing involved in sifting through it all, would lead ultimately to truth winning out over mistakes, misconceptions, myths, lies, and propaganda. I really thought such massive access to verifiable information would build a latticework of quality information that we'd all be operating from, and it'd be harder for untrue things to propagate and perpetuate themselves.

yeah, yeah, wipe those tears of laughter away. BOY HOWDY DID I MISS ON THAT ONE.

if anything, the opposite seems to be the case. anyone peddling anything that's not true, for any reason, can simply use the massive scope of the internet to find like-minded peers anywhere in the world to reinforce almost any arbitrary belief. And with a little work and persistence, it's not hard at all to make a crackpot theory seem like a legitimate alternative viewpoint.

truth is more muddied than ever, and doesn't seem to have any inherent advantage over fiction regardless of how much information is made available. that realization shocked me. ultimately, it's simply a defect in human nature, and access to technology isn't going to solve that (unless we're talking about technology that fundamentally alters our own wiring).

Yeah I was much of the same mind. Think the real problem is the mega corporations that have monopolized and monetized almost the entire internet. Missed that. Did not think people would allow it to happen on such a scale as it has.

Cue laughing and tears.

Maybe I missed the post but don’t we have to include shipping costs as part of the savjngs?
In any case, a EU GF does not exist now, and EU deliveries will commence in less than three months. I doubt savings are that great between shipping cars whole or in parts. Once the factory is up and running, the situation is different. But that is years out from now.

• Informative
Reactions: Lucky_Man
We’ll see how this goes — initiated what I hope is my first swing trade yesterday — based on 1) stickiness of $360 price due to bond conversion price, and 2) likely small squeeze yesterday AM due to TSLA and macros battle on Monday. After a $370 limit sell order closed in the morning, entered a limit buy order for same number of shares at $360. Had a hunch it might only go to $361, but I did $360 anyway. Dang it, it went to $360.xx. Not feeling so smart this AM, but we’ll see what happens as we approach the Friday close.

How many shares are we talking abt?

Many people have talked of the difficulty of "losing your shares" and chasing the stock price if you do anything but buy and hold. Personally I find that selling a short-term put is far more likely to achieve your goal, and even if you fail, at least you earned money in the process.

You could for example instead of entering a limit buy at $360, instead sell a Dec 14th 365 strike call for ~$6 (maybe more) this morning. If the stock falls to 365 (more probable than $360) by Friday's close you will acquire the stock for a net cost of $359 which is cheaper than if you filled the limit buy. If instead, it rockets up then at least you made $6 and you can chase it again on Monday. The only real down side is that you have to work in blocks of 100 shares.

Edit: Another down side is that you won't get the stock if drops down but then pops back up before Friday's close. To better manage that you could sell a $370 strike call, but your net cost would probably be above $360 unless you went a longer time frame, like Dec 21st.

Last edited:
“Tesla is already offering a wealth of future-oriented features — features that can save lives, features you know we will all have someday — [which] has the power to change how potential customers think,” notes Burrus. He adds, “From a customer experience perspective, that’s a powerful shift. Any time you can make the competition seem like they are offering yesterday’s features and functions, and you are offering tomorrow’s, you can accelerate growth.”

Tesla Model X Test Drive Causes Unusual Phenomenon

Norway update:
today Norway will surpass the 30000 Tesla milestone!
That's quite an achievement.
Daily sales rate is good, 2018 will probably be on par with 2017, maybe slightly higher if the rate is stable.
It will be much higher if rate will skyrocket in the last two weeks of the month like it usually does EoQ (which is also EoY).
I mean, last year they sold 287 cars in one day!, on December 19; yesterday they sold 84, there's room for improvement ;-)

It's my opinion that Tesla have prioritised deliveries tin the USA this second half of the year in order to allow people to take advantage of the full tax credit. That's my explanation as to why Norweigan deliveries are a bit lower than would be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.