Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazes me that all the incredible news reported on Electrek never makes it onto the Yahoo finance page. Such as the Semi going all over the country and getting even more orders, solar roof installs starting, lots of battery back-up projects, etc.. When all this finally becomes public knowledge, you would think the SP would finally climb. Maybe after the ER report?

Reactions: Richard007
It amazes me that all the incredible news reported on Electrek never makes it onto the Yahoo finance page. Such as the Semi going all over the country and getting even more orders, solar roof installs starting, lots of battery back-up projects, etc.. When all this finally becomes public knowledge, you would think the SP would finally climb. Maybe after the ER report?
When is the ER report being released?

Chinese President Xi might announce these tonight at Boao. You can search it online. Some are based on google translate.

1. China will accelerate the opening up of the financial sector to the outside world, relax or cancel restrictions on foreign-capital shares of banks, securities, funds, futures, and financial asset management companies.

2. The manufacturing industry is opening up to the outside world and be inline with international trading rules and regulations. Open market access for general manufacturing, and expansion of telecommunications, medical care, education, and other areas open.

3. It will expand the degree of opening up in some areas of the service industry, adopt a national treatment (treat foreign businesses as same as domestic businesses) plus negative list management model.

4. Will increase the protection of property rights, especially intellectual property rights;

5. It will expand imports, gradually reduce tariffs on imported cars.

6. Will have more policy support in the direction of the new economic investment and financing;

7. Will reduce domestic corporate tax burden, especially high-end manufacturing tax, including semiconductors, integrated circuits.

I will clarify, these are not the result of recent trade pressure from the US. China expressed the intention to do the above things quite a few months ago. I believe they genuinely planed to do it . Their new guy He Liu who is in charge of economy said they would change so much in 2018 that it will surprise a lot of people... Unfortunetly now they can't just kneel down and do it when someone slap on their face.

The only item that is slightly negative is #5. US wants them immediately drop the 25% car tariff. Regardless, I think in the end they will allow Tesla to open factory based on #2 and #3.

Thank you. Sold the puts again that I just bought and made some money :)

Really? So what's even the point of letting your broker do that then if there's no benefit to you?
If you don't have a margin account, you can lend the shares and get a cut of the interest. I don't know why your broker won't let you do that. Most will, but of course they'll lend out the ones in margin accounts first.

Electrek has to pay Yahoo in order to have the articles linked on Yahoo. No pay no link.
SeekingAlpha used to pay Yahoo to link SA articles, later they decided to save the money. Two years ago SeekingAlpha explained this to their users.

Those articles that attack Tesla don't just randomly appear on the internet. Someone is paying to create the content, and somebody is paying to get them displayed.

Many people think medias create those Tesla related articles to gain clicks. I believe that's not the case.

Recently Model 3 won the car of the year for Popular Mechanics. We would think that title/news can generate some clicks. But no newspaper talks about it.

Nowadays, most of the advertisement money goes to Facebook and Google. Media companies have to be creative about how to make money. If a "PR company" pays them $20k to display a hit piece, they would happily do it.

T
Electrek has to pay Yahoo in order to have the articles linked on Yahoo. No pay no link.
SeekingAlpha used to pay Yahoo to link SA articles, later they decided to save the money. Two years ago SeekingAlpha explained this to their users.

Those articles that attack Tesla don't just randomly appear on the internet. Someone is paying to create the content, and somebody is paying to get them displayed.

Many people think medias create those Tesla related articles to gain clicks. I believe that's not the case.

Recently Model 3 won the car of the year for Popular Mechanics. We would think that title/news can generate some clicks. But no newspaper talks about it.

Nowadays, most of the advertisement money goes to Facebook and Google. Media companies have to be creative about how to make money. If a "PR company" pays them $20k to display a hit piece, they would happily do it.

That explains a lot! Maybe all us Tesla owners/investors should pull some $ and have our own pro $TSLA canpaign!!

If Tesla is allowed to open a factory in Shanghai with 100% ownership and no forced technology transfers, you can expect the incumbent automakers who already have factories in China to cry foul and demand ownership of their factories back.

IOW I just don't see it happening anytime soon because China doesn't want to relinquish 50% control and technology transfers from the incumbent automakers who already operate in China, many of which also manufacture electric cars.

Really? So what's even the point of letting your broker do that then if there's no benefit to you?

The benefit is shares available at a discount, financed by the shorter paying interest, and presumably a higher price buying back the share later.

Chinese President Xi might announce these tonight at Boao. You can search it online. Some are based on google translate.

1. China will accelerate the opening up of the financial sector to the outside world, relax or cancel restrictions on foreign-capital shares of banks, securities, funds, futures, and financial asset management companies.

2. The manufacturing industry is opening up to the outside world and be inline with international trading rules and regulations. Open market access for general manufacturing, and expansion of telecommunications, medical care, education, and other areas open.

3. It will expand the degree of opening up in some areas of the service industry, adopt a national treatment (treat foreign businesses as same as domestic businesses) plus negative list management model.

4. Will increase the protection of property rights, especially intellectual property rights;

5. It will expand imports, gradually reduce tariffs on imported cars.

6. Will have more policy support in the direction of the new economic investment and financing;

7. Will reduce domestic corporate tax burden, especially high-end manufacturing tax, including semiconductors, integrated circuits.

I will clarify, these are not the result of recent trade pressure from the US. China expressed the intention to do the above things quite a few months ago. I believe they genuinely planed to do it . Their new guy He Liu who is in charge of economy said they would change so much in 2018 that it will surprise a lot of people... Unfortunetly now they can't just kneel down and do it when someone slap on their face.

The only item that is slightly negative is #5. US wants them immediately drop the 25% car tariff. Regardless, I think in the end they will allow Tesla to open factory based on #2 and #3.

Sounds good if true. Should push macros well up and away from their current danger zone.

A little warning guys. The overall market looks pretty shaky to me. High beta stocks like TSLA just do not do well if the S & P decides to decline 20%. Please keep this in mind. Stocks always go higher than you expect in bull markets...and stocks always go lower than you expect in bear markets.

Please consider the rally that took place since Trump took office in the market overall. Imagine going back to the levels the market was at when Trump got elected. You remember, the level where credible analysis was showing the market as highly overvalued...the level where many people where saying that Trump's election would be the catalyst for the long over due correction. Keep in mind where the FED is right now. A 4 trillion balance sheet that they have clearly stated they are in the process of shrinking. This is a tough headwind when combined with interest rate increases that are certain to continue for now. Watch the leverage and try to keep some powder dry.

There is no shortage of after the fact explanations to be had for any market move...and of course, it is always so obvious! How did I not see it! - face in palm. (sarc)

The best explanation for TSLA drop today...Market is shaky and TSLA had just run 50 points. Really don't need to try and explain much past that. I would be surprised if we don't retest some of the levels we were at just last week.

It’s absurd! We obviously know different since we follow Tesla but for many casual traders may not realize this is same recall from last week. I guess the only good news is hopefully these people realize it’s same “voluntary” recall once some pre Teala articles are written.
Trolls are happy. They get 2 lies for the price of one. Look for them to pull this again in the future. Most investors are just too uninformed to realize they are being tricked. In the meantime we get a buying opportunity. Wish I had some spare cash but I'm fully invested at this point.

A little warning guys. The overall market looks pretty shaky to me. High beta stocks like TSLA just do not do well if the S & P decides to decline 20%. Please keep this in mind. Stocks always go higher than you expect in bull markets...and stocks always go lower than you expect in bear markets.

Please consider the rally that took place since Trump took office in the market overall. Imagine going back to the levels the market was at when Trump got elected. You remember, the level where credible analysis was showing the market as highly overvalued...the level where many people where saying that Trump's election would be the catalyst for the long over due correction. Keep in mind where the FED is right now. A 4 trillion balance sheet that they have clearly stated they are in the process of shrinking. This is a tough headwind when combined with interest rate increases that are certain to continue for now. Watch the leverage and try to keep some powder dry.

There is no shortage of after the fact explanations to be had for any market move...and of course, it is always so obvious! How did I not see it! - face in palm. (sarc)

The best explanation for TSLA drop today...Market is shaky and TSLA had just run 50 points. Really don't need to try and explain much past that. I would be surprised if we don't retest some of the levels we were at just last week.
This is what scares me about current market. But I am long TSLA and AAPL. I'm absolutely horrible at picking tops so I've weathered collapses before. I won't sell on the way down. But it just gets much tougher as I get older.

Status
Not open for further replies.