Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow (Dec 18) is the day of the Boring Tunnel reveal. Anybody get an invite?

Any ideas about the Tesla passenger transporter rumored for a reveal during tomorrow's event?

Cheers!

Zac on Now You Know channel on youtube is going and he'll be live streaming. Honestly I'm pretty excited, this will be the first of its kind in U.S. and I can't wait to see what street legal autonomous vehicle Tesla will be debuting.

What if you get margin called during those 3-4 days due to a downturn?

Something is wrong with your asset allocation if you are transfereing 50% of your assets on each buy. It could be that icelandic brokers don't leave cash in brokerage accounts like some other country I am familiar with. When each buy and sell from the brokerage initiate a swift debit or credit. In that case they usually have an account in the middle as collateral.

So see if you can post collateral for your broker to allow you to execute trades that represent 50% of your account instantly.

Also, even if the margin is 100%, the stock still has to fall at least 20% in 3 days for you to get margin called. And even when that happens. Assuming you have a good relationship with your broker, just let them know a swift transfer is already in progress and give evidence..

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Regarding the margin discussion. I’ve just activated margin at my account and started using it rather aggressively. Firstly, you don’t have to go 100% on margin. I’ve made sure that even with a 30% drop in TSLA prices I won’t get a margin call.

As the market have already fallen a lot, I think some of the downside risk has been eliminated.

I’ve come to realize that the use of margin is a much better way to leverage than the use of call options. (I’m sure there are exceptions though). You don’t loose time value when using margin. And while you do have to pay interest, you can write about a quarter of the interest off on the tax return. Additionally, you do not have to worry about an experiation date. With Tesla, it is quite risky to make predictions about the stock price at a given date. Much better to just buy into the future and wait out any period of low prices.
If you're looking for light leverage, I bet you buying 2020 leaps with $100 or $150 strike will be cheaper (if held until expiration) than margin and offer similar leverage and a bit of capital protection should something really bad happens... But I hate paying interest, so there is that, and I never look (last 2-3 years) into more than 1.5x leverage. They are less liquid though, and you hav to 'fish' for the price in the middle, as spreads are usually bad

Last edited:
What if you get margin called during those 3-4 days due to a downturn?
You should be able to set a really low value for tsla below which its unlikely to go and buy on margin only the amount that can withstand tsla hitting that low point without margin getting called.

Before Q3 I bought a lot on margin because I didn't want to sell my other stock that was falling. I didn't get called on margin even though TSLA fell to 250s. In fact I held calls on margin until I sold them couple of weeks back.

I guess the question, though is, do you have any marginable securities in IB ? If you only have options, not sure you can buy anymore on margin. You need to have stock/cash.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
Status
Not open for further replies.