Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dc_ySENUwAAfY5D.jpg:large

Bet against this.

Elon: You know, it's a shame about GM

Analyst: Oh, it was. Yeah, it was really a shame. To go so suddenly like that.

Elon: GM was dying for years.

Analyst: Sure, but... the end was very... very sudden.

Elon: GM was in intensive care for eight years.

Analyst: Yeah, but I mean the very end, when GM actually died. That was extremely sudden.

GM May Also Exit the American Car Market, Morgan Stanley Says

Ignore the headline. They're just not going to make sedans.

Congratulations USA on finally realizing that hatchbacks are more practical/getting too old and unfit to sit in passenger cars.

I am so happy people are so willing to work so hard for a better future.
I can't imagine the work load and stress on family life.
If DF want's time off to live a little without that stress I say take it!
The timing of Doug's leave of absence is what is most interesting. Rose colored glasses may view the timing as a signal that they have reached a point where the 5k per week is well within reach. I doubt that Doug would take time off at this critical a juncture without confidence that all is well.

A Tesla spokesman said in a statement:
“Doug is just taking some time off to recharge and spend time with his family. He has not left Tesla.”

China will likely be the focus in 2019 so Doug may have another big challenge ahead of himself. Good opportunity to recharge and get some semblance of work-life balance back.

Last edited:
Will be interesting if Doug Fields holds onto his 19,000 shares. If so probably leave and still believes in company
Doug Field has had an automatic sell of 1000 shares in the middle of each month for Jan/Feb/Mar, but in Apr he didn't sell any

Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Insider Trading Activity (SEC Form 4)

It may be that he didn't set up for April, or it's possible that he had a price limit of >$300. The lowest insider sell is at exactly $300 by Kimbal on Apr 5.

The timing of Doug's leave of absence is what is most interesting. Rose colored glasses may view the timing as a signal that they have reached a point where the 5k per week is well within reach. I doubt that Doug would take time off at this critical a juncture without confidence that all is well.

A Tesla spokesman said in a statement:
“Doug is just taking some time off to recharge and spend time with his family. He has not left Tesla.”

China will likely be the focus in 2019 so Doug may have another big challenge ahead of himself. Good opportunity to recharge and get some semblance of work-life balance back.
Hope he isn't going to China for his "vacation"

• Funny
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Taking a break is not quitting. He has worked hard for a long time now. He earned a rest. Let's not panic unless there's actual news one way or the other.
When Jerome Guillen took a brake he worked on designing and planning a semi for Tesla. Not saying Doug is doing anything other than taking needed downtime, but he could be working on a new gigafactory or plans for semi production out of the limelight. Elon hates bureaucracy and this is a nice way to sidestep normal organizational demands.
Glad he’s not quitting for now. Projects of this scale are draining.

Doug Fields will come back after 6 weeks. It's just a long vacation. Model 3 design is done. It's a great time to take a short break. I think he will come back either work on Model Y or pickup truck. Lots of people left Tesla in the past. Really great ones stayed. That's my impression.

So will Elon be taking over Doug's responsibilities in the interim as he did when Diuramid O'connor and Jon Mcneill departed?

This Elon's inability to foster loyalty and keep talented team (something is going on here, not sure what) is the only real weakness of Elon/Tesla that scares me. I'd be out awhile ago if it were not for the fact that this weakness is compensated by 1) Mission empowers people on all levels and is a driver of progress even if culture is failing them 2) Elon's ability to bring new and fresh talent is unmatched

I'm partially with you on this and I do think there are serious internal communication issues at Tesla, as evidenced by many stories about Service Centers, Delivery Centers or sales people. A lot can be improved on middle-management level, especially in Europe. My worry isn't about Doug Field or other executives and top engineers, but people on the ground that aren't in Fremont / Hawthorne / GF. Some of the stories I heard are abysmall and are purely down to internal comms failures. That's why I think a COO is a must, the sooner the better.

I'm partially with you on this and I do think there are serious internal communication issues at Tesla, as evidenced by many stories about Service Centers, Delivery Centers or sales people. A lot can be improved on middle-management level, especially in Europe. My worry isn't about Doug Field or other executives and top engineers, but people on the ground that aren't in Fremont / Hawthorne / GF. Some of the stories I heard are abysmall and are purely down to internal comms failures. That's why I think a COO is a must, the sooner the better.

COO adds a layer of bureaucracy between Elon and the biggest disruption opportunity: manufacturing. Only after Tesla has achieved 10x more efficient manufacturing, and has expanded across the world to several millions of cars per year, does a COO makes sense, in my opinion, so 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.