Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else gone on a leave of absence and then returned? No sarcasm implied, legit question....I meant Sr Tesla Execs. Should have been more explicit.

Jerome Guillen is the only high-visibility name.

Deepak Ahuja departed and later returned, but did not take a leave of absence. He announced his retirement at age ~53 in August 2015 and left in November of 2015. He returned a little over a year later in February, 2017 when his replacement as CFO, Jason Wheeler, left after ~14 months in the CFO position to take a "public policy" position.

In May 2016 Tesla issued this press release:

"After being at Tesla for over five years and leading its production team for the past three years, Greg Reichow has announced his intention to take a leave of absence from Tesla so that he can have a well-earned break. To ensure a smooth handoff and provide continuity, Greg will remain at Tesla as long as necessary until his successor is on board. He will work closely with the Tesla leadership team to help with the search process and ultimately to make an effective transition to his successor. Tesla is currently identifying the best candidate to lead production into the launch of Model 3."

I think Peter Hochholdinger from VW ultimately replaced Greg in October. 2016.

Back around the IPO, Gilbert Passin was VP of Manufacturing and a Section 16 officer. I think we was later passed over, but remained with company. He may have retired by now.

Except for Fred at Electrik, there is little visibility of Tesla's executives coming and going unless they are section 16 officers.

Announcing a leave of absence gives the individual some optionality, particularly if he hasn't lined up a new landing spot.

Last edited:
The timing of Doug's leave of absence is what is most interesting. Rose colored glasses may view the timing as a signal that they have reached a point where the 5k per week is well within reach. I doubt that Doug would take time off at this critical a juncture without confidence that all is well.

A Tesla spokesman said in a statement:
“Doug is just taking some time off to recharge and spend time with his family. He has not left Tesla.”

China will likely be the focus in 2019 so Doug may have another big challenge ahead of himself. Good opportunity to recharge and get some semblance of work-life balance back.

He’ll need it for Semi/Model y.

Does anyone know whether the $2500 deposits that people would put down for the AWD version now would go in for Q2 earnings? Obviously deliveries and final payment would go on the books in Q3 but I’m curious what happens to that initial $2500 people would put down now

They may get a ton of people putting in their $2500 deposits now
It doesn't go into earnings, or anywhere else on the P&L. It goes into the b/s as cash on the asset side and as customer deposit on the liability side.

Reactions: 2virgule5
In 2012, Model S Chief Engineer Peter Rawlinson left for Atieva/Lucid Motors and took about a dozen senior engineers with him. Tesla survived.

The only irreplaceable people at Tesla are Elon and JB. If either left you would need at least 3 executives to somewhat replace what they do.
I don't think any number of executives can replace Musk.

COO adds a layer of bureaucracy between Elon and the biggest disruption opportunity: manufacturing. Only after Tesla has achieved 10x more efficient manufacturing, and has expanded across the world to several millions of cars per year, does a COO makes sense, in my opinion, so 2022.

But that's what I mean - Elon is 100% focused on manufacturing and new products and general vision, but there are other "boring" aspects of the company that need attention.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Of all the Tesla execs that have left over the years, the most concerning was Diarmuid O’Connell. I met him a few times over the years and he was fiercely loyal to Elon and a true believer of the Tesla mission, more so than anyone I met besides JB. Very confusing why he’d leave last year.

Dave, good to see you posting again. It’s simple in my view, burnout. Long hours take away from family/personal life. In the end, one has to make decisions on what’s best for them, and not for Elon/Tesla. Sometimes the money offered by other companies as well as perks/vacations are just too good to turn down. I talked to SpaceX employees and it’s the same situation, some people just aren’t cut out for 12 hour days, so they go elsewhere. Others think they can handle it, but after a couple years things change. Loyalty can only go so far. I’m thankful for every talent that comes and go at Tesla, down to the vegan/vegetarian worker who moved from the East coast to work at the gigafactory, but my bet is they won’t stay forever. No one in this world is irreplaceable. The important thing for me is not to look at who comes and goes, but what product the company comes up with. So far, the lineup has been amazing.

I googled: Diarmuid joined Tesla in 2006, and currently serves as the Vice President of Business Development in which capacity he manages commercial relationships and all aspects of government affairs. Looks like he got a better job/position offered.

Of all the Tesla execs that have left over the years, the most concerning was Diarmuid O’Connell. I met him a few times over the years and he was fiercely loyal to Elon and a true believer of the Tesla mission, more so than anyone I met besides JB. Very confusing why he’d leave last year.

Dave, not confusing at all. He had a very good second in command to fill his position and really was tired of all the travel and wanted to spend time with family. Moved to colorado and AFAIK he is enjoying watching little league games, etc.

While I do not know it for a fact I would not be surprised if he resurfaced sometime in another company/or even government job.

Great post. I recall Elon saying that hiring on with Tesla is like joining the Special Forces. Maybe Tesla needs to encourage employees, including executives, to take sabbaticals when needed. Perhaps they're already doing that, as evidenced by Doug Fields' leave of absence. Great things can be accomplished with intense focus and long hours, but most of us need breaks. Members of the Special Forces are no exception.
Dave, good to see you posting again. It’s simple in my view, burnout. Long hours take away from family/personal life. In the end, one has to make decisions on what’s best for them, and not for Elon/Tesla. Sometimes the money offered by other companies as well as perks/vacations are just too good to turn down. I talked to SpaceX employees and it’s the same situation, some people just aren’t cut out for 12 hour days, so they go elsewhere. Others think they can handle it, but after a couple years things change. Loyalty can only go so far. I’m thankful for every talent that comes and go at Tesla, down to the vegan/vegetarian worker who moved from the East coast to work at the gigafactory, but my bet is they won’t stay forever. No one in this world is irreplaceable. The important thing for me is not to look at who comes and goes, but what product the company comes up with. So far, the lineup has been amazing.

I googled: Diarmuid joined Tesla in 2006, and currently serves as the Vice President of Business Development in which capacity he manages commercial relationships and all aspects of government affairs. Looks like he got a better job/position offered.

Dave, not confusing at all. He had a very good second in command to fill his position and really was tired of all the travel and wanted to spend time with family. Moved to colorado and AFAIK he is enjoying watching little league games, etc.

While I do not know it for a fact I would not be surprised if he resurfaced sometime in another company/or even government job.
His LinkedIn page still lists
Vice President of Business Development
Company NameTesla Motors Inc
Dates EmployedJul 2006 – Present

Perhaps he never updated after he left if he didn't get another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.