Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can imagine that hearing all that stuff over and over again during the last years get's a bit boring and obviously those people were wrong regarding most of the points.

But this time it's different, right?

Anyway, i'm one of those cute and cuddly newborn baby bears and wasn't toying around with Tesla until last spring.

Hmm, I wonder which one of us might know a bit more about Tesla than the other? At least you're less obnoxious than most of the bears we encounter.

What’s this news I’ve been reading regarding Doug Fields taking a break from the company? How come no one is talking about this? This could be serious if he decides to quit right?
Taking a break is not quitting. He has worked hard for a long time now. He earned a rest. Let's not panic unless there's actual news one way or the other.

Reactions: sundaymorning
What’s this news I’ve been reading regarding Doug Fields taking a break from the company? How come no one is talking about this? This could be serious if he decides to quit right?

It will get talked about plenty by the FUDsters.

Reality: Working for EM is a bitch when it comes to work/life balance. He needs some downtime (EX: Jerome). He has a good amount of stock option incentives to come back.

My opinion/interpretation: His job vis a vis the model 3 is done...good time to recharge before moving to the next challenge(s): Y and semi.

This is Silicon Valley: It is a grinder but there are many other capable people at Tesla if he decides not to return to the grind at Tesla.

The only person that I can say if he goes I pull all my TSLA money out: JB

No. Rich my friend, you worry too much :).

He’s tired. Been working to the bone. Needs some rest. Not leaving Tesla. Just like Jerome Guillen did.

Even if he did leave, it wouldn’t be serious. There are other people in the world who can fill that role if needed.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor

He’s tired. Been working to the bone. Needs some rest. Not leaving Tesla. Just like Jerome Guillen did.

Even if he did leave, it wouldn’t be serious. There are other people in the world who can fill that role if needed.
Wow, you really believe this? Executives in other companies don't take sabbatical leaves.

This Elon's inability to foster loyalty and keep talented team (something is going on here, not sure what) is the only real weakness of Elon/Tesla that scares me. I'd be out awhile ago if it were not for the fact that this weakness is compensated by 1) Mission empowers people on all levels and is a driver of progress even if culture is failing them 2) Elon's ability to bring new and fresh talent is unmatched

Wow, you really believe this? Executives in other companies don't take sabbatical leaves.

This Elon's inability to foster loyalty and keep talented team (something is going on here, not sure what) is the only real weakness of Elon/Tesla that scares me. I'd be out awhile ago if it were not for the fact that 1) Mission empowers people on all levels and is a driver of progress even if culture is failing them 2) Elon's ability to bring new and fresh talent is unmatched

They do at Intel & Genentech. Not unheard of in SV

This Elon's inability to foster loyalty and keep talented team (something is going on here, not sure what) is the only real weakness of Elon/Tesla that scares me. I'd be out awhile ago if it were not for the fact that this weakness is compensated by 1) Mission empowers people on all levels and is a driver of progress even if culture is failing them 2) Elon's ability to bring new and fresh talent is unmatched

Doug Fields will come back after 6 weeks. It's just a long vacation. Model 3 design is done. It's a great time to take a short break. I think he will come back either work on Model Y or pickup truck. Lots of people left Tesla in the past. Really great ones stayed. That's my impression.

Taking a break is not quitting. He has worked hard for a long time now. He earned a rest. Let's not panic unless there's actual news one way or the other.

It will get talked about plenty by the FUDsters.

Reality: Working for EM is a bitch when it comes to work/life balance. He needs some downtime (EX: Jerome). He has a good amount of stock option incentives to come back.

My opinion/interpretation: His job vis a vis the model 3 is done...good time to recharge before moving to the next challenge(s): Y and semi.

This is Silicon Valley: It is a grinder but there are many other capable people at Tesla if he decides not to return to the grind at Tesla.

The only person that I can say if he goes I pull all my TSLA money out: JB

Thanks guys. I really hope so. I just added to over 1,000 shares this week. I really hope this news won’t sour the SP.

Thanks guys. I really hope so. I just added to over 1,000 shares this week. I really hope this news won’t sour the SP.

Not to rain on all our parades but it very well may cause a good amount of FUD and a short term dip/pressure on the SP but it will be short lived IMO.

The SP all comes down to execution in a timely manner on the 3......and I doubt that DF taking a break at this point will influence that....

Elon said that "the burn of the century is coming". "It will be the next level" than the "tsunami of hurt". "It will be bigger than the VW squeeze in 2008". I think Elon is serious about it.

I guess his comment is mainly based on the predicted business development, not just based on short size. Nobody can predict short squeezes only based on the short size.

My interpretation is that Elon thinks business will take off, and then shorts will get caught in the process. If we don't have basic confidence in Elon's assessment, then we really should reduce size.

Personally I added a lot of shares during the recent dip. Have been adding everyday. I don't worry. I just work hard to prepare more cash, so if there is a dip, I will add even more shares.

I plan to sell one share once it hits $3000, just to make sure I sold something on the way up.

My wild guess is this squeeze will be slow but very powerful. It may last for years.

My spreadsheet shows TSLA will reach $3605 by 2026, based on predicted future business development. The burn of the century is likely to shorten the time by 50% or more.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I’ve been invested in Tesla since 2012, I can’t tell you guys how many execs or engineers have arrived, left or return to Tesla. I can say that the hours are quite demanding from top to bottom, way down to factory workers. Burnout is real, and occurs at SpaceX as well. Doug deserves some time off, he’s earned it. I hope he has enough within himself to be back for Model Y/semi. After all, he came from Apple where robotics and manufacturing hell is cake walk compared to what Tesla is putting together. There’s a reason why no one ever attempted dreadnaught, if anyone can do it, it’ll be Tesla. The culture is really something else. The Model 3 design as we know, is finally complete. Job well done Doug! Thank you.

Gr
Does anyone know whether the $2500 deposits that people would put down for the AWD version now would go in for Q2 earnings? Obviously deliveries and final payment would go on the books in Q3 but I’m curious what happens to that initial $2500 people would put down now

They may get a ton of people putting in their $2500 deposits now
Gets added to customer deposits. Does not get added to revenue but helps cash flow.

I think when you configure, the extra money you put down becomes non-refundable, so it might be a different accounting category from "deposits", like "pre-payment" or something.

No

Tesla 10-Q said:
Customer deposits primarily consisted of cash payments from customers at the time they place an order or reservation for a vehicle or an energy product and any additional payments up to the point of delivery or the completion of installation

Elon: You know, it's a shame about GM

Analyst: Oh, it was. Yeah, it was really a shame. To go so suddenly like that.

Elon: GM was dying for years.

Analyst: Sure, but... the end was very... very sudden.

Elon: GM was in intensive care for eight years.

Analyst: Yeah, but I mean the very end, when GM actually died. That was extremely sudden.

GM May Also Exit the American Car Market, Morgan Stanley Says

Status
Not open for further replies.