Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I said this earlier, but I still think Tesla wants to test the lower end of it's large long term SP channel.
g7XXqrr.png

It's stuck in a short-term downward channel right now that intersects with it's longer-term upward channel. I think you could be looking at a $270-320 SP for a few months.

Once it tests it, it could rocket upward to $450 very fast though.
I think what we see is similar to 2H'14-Q1'15 where TSLA went down from $280 to $180. After Q4'14 # came out it quickly reversed, partly because MS hit 10k/Q, anticipation on MX, and Powerwall unveil in April 2015. I think M3 hitting 5k/wk, upcoming news on China GF and possibly MY could have similar effect in the next 1-2 Q.

It's not just complacency when someone is using AP to 60 mph into a red light. This is surely well above the legal sped limit for a lighted intersection. The way AP let's you do that is if the driver is actively pushing on the accelerator to force the car to go faster. Additionally, AP does not read traffic signals or slow down for them. This is exclusively the responsibility of the driver. Had it not been for crashing into the fire truck this vehicle would have sped through a red light and put other drivers at serious risk.

I do not buy the line that this sort of reckless driving and abuse of AP is mere "complacency." All drivers face a little complacency and inattention in our daily driving, but most know to reign this in and focus on the road. There is nothing special about AP that causes complacency. It is nothing new. Cell phones, texting, eating, whatever, all these things cause drivers to become complacent and inattentive. Though it is not perfect, AP helps safeguard against those distractions and so is saving lives. But if a driver abuses AP, it's his own damn fault.
The accident happened on Bangerter South at intersection with 10400

Speed limit on Bangerter is 60mph in both directions. It crosses 10400 at a traffic light.

The accident happened on Bangerter South at intersection with 10400

Speed limit on Bangerter is 60mph in both directions. It crosses 10400 at a traffic light.

Guys are we really going to fixate in every accident a Tesla gets into. They’re only going to be more common since the number of Tesla on the roads is rapidly increasing. Let’s not play into the shorts and media’s games.

Here’s some good news, at 3,500 model 3s week Tesla is running at 282,000 combined model 3xS and Xs cars per year. Not too long ago everyone was saying 100,000 cars per year is impossible.

I said this earlier, but I still think Tesla wants to test the lower end of it's large long term SP channel.
g7XXqrr.png

It's stuck in a short-term downward channel right now that intersects with it's longer-term upward channel. I think you could be looking at a $270-320 SP for a few months.

Once it tests it, it could rocket upward to $450 very fast though.

It could be that I'm wrong as I don't think drawing some lines into a chart like this makes any sense at all, but if you do so can you please enable log scale and re-do?

Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected.

That does seem like an excessively high speed limit to travel through retail spaces.

Guys are we really going to fixate in every accident a Tesla gets into. They’re only going to be more common since the number of Tesla on the roads is rapidly increasing. Let’s not play into the shorts and media’s games.

Here’s some good news, at 3,500 model 3s week Tesla is running at 282,000 combined model 3xS and Xs cars per year. Not too long ago everyone was saying 100,000 cars per year is impossible.

I don't want to keep harping on this either, just want to make sure when we fight FUD we got all of our facts.

Reactions: SteveG3
Adam Jonas, CFA – Morgan Stanley
May 15, 2018 4:01 AM GMT

Following 1Q18 results, we are making significant cuts to our near-term and long-term auto margin forecasts and allow for marginally greater equity dilution. We see Tesla as trading near fair value with a balanced risk-reward. We remain EW.
Regarding the feedback from the 1Q18 conference call… Elon Musk reserves the right to do very difficult things that could yield great commercial value long term. At the same time, investors reserve the right to understand the costs and the risks near term. We believe any impact on the investor engagement side is fairly limited and the market will focus on more pertinent and quantifiable debates such as the interplay between cash consumption and capital raising. A recent increase in the pace of management departures and an apparent reorganization of the business suggest to us the need to address some of the technical and fundamental hurdles weighing on company margins. Lowering our earnings forecast - driven by margins. While 1Q18 results were broadly in line with consensus expectations (and slightly above our forecasts), we are making material reductions to our earnings estimates to reflect lingering manufacturing issues with the Model 3 - most recently at Fremont final assembly. While our volume forecasts are largely unchanged, we have reduced our medium and long-term gross margin assumptions for Tesla’s passenger car operations. It is our view that the challenges in ramping up Model 3 production reflect fundamental issues of vehicle design, manufacturing process, and automation levels that can weigh against the profitability of the vehicle. The company has acknowledged that it, to some extent, overautomated the Model 3 production process and is now reengineering accordingly. Movements in raw material prices and FX add further headwinds vs. our prior expectations. Tesla management believes the Model 3's margin performance below its 25% target level will be temporary, whereas we believe this headwind is more structural. Given....

I never understand the word "short term investment", all short terms are speculation, not saying they are bad, just they are not investment. So expect speculator's result.

Any one who invests in Tesla should look at it as a long term investment. Where it will get to, how likely. Discount it back to today based on the possibility.

These investment banks naturally focus shorter term. You can see this based on how much they focus on quarterly results, their questions during CC, and they frequently give price targets for 6 months or 12 months. I don't know why they focus so much on one year target if the investment is for long term.

Jonas does have a long term view on Tesla, I don't think he views Tesla or Elon as anything special compared with other companies. He maybe right, maybe wrong. A lot of my long term view is based on Elon and Tesla's capability and determination, and what they achieved in the past.

Here is my view:

The society is transitioning to 100% EV, the transition will gain speed in the next 2 years. Model 3 and Model Y will lead the transition. EVs make so much sense especially that they are reaching the cost parity with ICEs, and EVs are continuously improving at high speed. They will soon cost less than comparable ICEs.

Today VW, Toyota, GM each can take 12% of the ICE market, tomorrow, I see Tesla to take 12~20% of the EV market, which will be 80~90 million a year. So Tesla will be producing 10~18 million cars a year in long term.

In the long run, Tesla's business model (no dealers, no ads, owns charging stations, selling software and services) will allow 25% gross margin, 15% net earnings. On car alone, Tesla will have $100B gross margin a year. Not counting Tesla network and Tesla energy, which Tesla is determined to lead.

I would not be surprised that in 10~15 years Tesla will reach $150B gross margin, and $80~100B net earnings per year. I do see a clear path how Tesla will become a trillion dollar company based on earnings.

Jonas keeps saying why Tesla should/need to get a few more billion dollars from the market. Maybe he doesn't understand that Elon views the stock as very undervalued and doesn't want to dilute. Elon won't do it unless the Model 3 production somehow falters.

Some large investors are onboard with Elon. They will continue to acquire shares from the open market. This creates a high possibility of a short squeeze. Short squeeze is not in my valuation calculation. It does add a lot if I add that into consideration.

I never understand the word "short term investment", all short terms are speculation, not saying they are bad, just they are not investment. So expect speculator's result.

Any one who invests in Tesla should look at it as a long term investment. Where it will get to, how likely. Discount it back to today based on the possibility.

These investment banks naturally focus shorter term. You can see this based on how much they focus on quarterly results, their questions during CC, and they frequently give price targets for 6 months or 12 months. I don't know why they focus so much on one year target if the investment is for long term.

Jonas does have a long term view on Tesla, I don't think he views Tesla or Elon as anything special compared with other companies. He maybe right, maybe wrong. A lot of my long term view is based on Elon and Tesla's capability and determination, and what they achieved in the past.

Here is my view:

The society is transitioning to 100% EV, the transition will gain speed in the next 2 years. Model 3 and Model Y will lead the transition. EVs make so much sense especially that they are reaching the cost parity with ICEs, and EVs are continuously improving at high speed. They will soon cost less than comparable ICEs.

Today VW, Toyota, GM each can take 12% of the ICE market, tomorrow, I see Tesla to take 12~20% of the EV market, which will be 80~90 million a year. So Tesla will be producing 10~18 million cars a year in long term.

In the long run, Tesla's business model (no dealers, no ads, owns charging stations, selling software and services) will allow 25% gross margin, 15% net earnings. On car alone, Tesla will have $100B gross margin a year. Not counting Tesla network and Tesla energy, which Tesla is determined to lead.

I would not be surprised that in 10~15 years Tesla will reach $150B gross margin, and $80~100B net earnings per year. I do see a clear path how Tesla will become a trillion dollar company based on earnings.

Jonas keeps saying why Tesla should/need to get a few more billion dollars from the market. Maybe he doesn't understand that Elon views the stock as very undervalued and doesn't want to dilute. Elon won't do it unless the Model 3 production somehow falters.

Some large investors are onboard with Elon. They will continue to acquire shares from the open market. This creates a high possibility of a short squeeze. Short squeeze is not in my valuation calculation. It does add a lot if I add that into consideration.
I think the bottom line is that Jonas is an auto-sector analyst, and doesn't understand batteries. This is why he can't see TE valuation, or the EV margins when Tesla can mass produce batteries at GF.

• Helpful
Reactions: AZRI11
View attachment 301370 Saw this posted on twitter I just want to make sure I’m interpreting it correctly. Is every institution except for 8 increasing their stake in Tesla?

Ignore the 12/31/2017 data, those companies should report Q1 activity very soon.
Only focus on 3/31/2018 reporting. Most of them added shares. T Rowe added a lot. If I were a short, I would be worried. But these shorts are very brave, I think they really don't know what they got themselves into. They are still digging the hole deeper.

Shorts are in difficult situation now. If they push hard, these institutions will take all the shares, consider how much money they have ... If shorts don't push, the stock will start to rally again. When it does rally, the short squeeze might start. There is no easy way out.

How many times has Jonas issued a negative analyst report, sending the stock lower, just before the stock makes a major climb upward? I mean seriously, this has happened what, 3-5 times since 2012? It's happened enough that it's been discussed right here in TMC as a known Morgan Stanley pattern in previous years.

I don't have anything to lead me to believe that this latest analyst report is not more of the same. MS has gotten so predictable that I'm looking forward a much higher Tesla stock price within a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.