Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should know that something like half of Model S buyers came from cheaper cars. Same is happening with Model 3. So your market size estimate is wrong.

Which totally made sense, if you wanted an electric car. What was the other option? A Leaf? I suppose this is one of the things that may change over the next few years since there will be other options, even if they come on limited quantities at first. From 2012 on Tesla had a really nice window of opportunity they could use to grow and expand. They were alone. It seems they made some mistakes along the way, especially when it comes to manufacturing. To me it looks like this window is closing faster than most people assumed over the next years. If they manage to grow as fast as they do now (profitably) for the next 3-5 years, fully ramp up the Model Y and Semi, they simply made it and Shorts have been wrong.

To me it looks like this window is closing faster than most people assumed over the next years.

This is the crux of the biscuit. I think the window is getting much bigger, much faster, than many ICE makers are prepared for. Getting bigger, because the number of people wanting to drive electric will only increase, and the number of people wanting to go back to ICE after driving electric will be vanishingly small. It's going to happen at increasing rates precisely because there will be more available options. The losers will be those who won't have anything compelling to sell to that rapidly changing market.

If they manage to grow as fast as they do now (profitably) for the next 3-5 years, fully ramp up the Model Y and Semi, they simply made it and Shorts have been wrong.

Yes.

Which totally made sense, if you wanted an electric car. What was the other option? A Leaf? I suppose this is one of the things that may change over the next few years since there will be other options, even if they come on limited quantities at first. .
Certainly. My core thesis is that everyone who wants a car wants an electric car. (Or will once they try a Tesla.) The world will not be supplied with enough until 2025 or more likely 2030, so that is when pricing and demand become issues. I guess we only disagree on what year this happens; but I am clearly right. ;-)

Last edited:
Another Tesla Model 3 show up in China
1f1e8-1f1f3.png
Shanghai

here is my tweet with pix : vincent on Twitter

Middle class people stretching an additional $500 for a phone doesn't mean they can stretch an additional $30k for a car does it?

I went from a 2nd-hand Renault Espace (in 2010) - €14k, to a Volvo XC-90 (2011) - €53k, which I thought was outrageously expensive.

Next step was a MS P85 (2014 delivery) - €111,540, to be precise, and now I'm driving a MXP100D (2017), inventory car which cost me €154k - that's with a very generous showroom discount, price as new was around €190k

OK, I'm not doing too badly for myself, but I'm certainly not rich by any stretch of the imagination. But you know what, despite the high cost, the Teslas never felt over-priced. Next planned car is a Roadster 2.

If I'm doing this, others are doing it too and further down the price-brackets as well.

Certainly. My core thesis is that everyone wants an electric car. The world will not be supplied with enough until 2025 or more likely 2030, so that is when pricing and demand become issues. I guess we only disagree on what year this happens; but I am clearly right. ;-)

It's actually funny that assuming it takes about 10 years longer makes me a bear. But imho that's enough time for others to catch up. Yes, they are slow and they need 5-6 years to build a new car from ground. But it's not like they started in 2018 or so. I can also see EVs and infrastructure developing in the right direction, just slower. If you assume 90% BEV sales by 2025, you also have to say that either most countries will have outfitted almost every city and almost every apartment with charging capabilities, or you assume charging speeds will be 3 or 5 times higher than today. That is one example of a thing i don't see happening that fast. I imagine similar things are true regarding supply with some of the resources required for current batteries.

• Helpful
Reactions: CorneliusXX
BYD is no longer the forerunner in Chinese EV market. It even runs the risk of losing government subsidy due to low energy density. I really think Buffet made a mistake investing in BYD.

I was under the impression that the chinese subsidies are range bound and not related to energy density? Anyway, they indeed have fallen behind a bit during the last year. But i like the new line-up and the fact they finally decided to go for higher density NMC-Cells with their cars while maintaining LFP for busses and storage.

Reactions: Skryll
We think that current US demand for mid--size luxury vehicles is about 300,000 cars pa and falling. Assuming Tesla continues to sell about 50% of cars outside the US, this would imply that the M3 would take 5/6 of that entire (EV & ICE) market. We think that is unlikely.

Model 3 was designed to be affordable to 50% of the new vehicle market (Musk said as much in a talk in Europe about 3 years ago when he already had a very good idea of pricing). Given that the car will save a consumer $700 to $1500 per year on fueling depending on gas/diesel prices where they live, he is correct. Average price of a new car in the US is $35K. That $700-1500 annual savings in fueling will pay for optioning up the $35K starting price quite nicely. If the Tesla Network is successful, and those buying Tesla's have the option of earning passive income from their car, the reach of these cars is well beyond 50% of the new vehicle market.

You might wonder... what about the cost of replacing the battery?

I recommend reading this data based article to anyone who doesn't realize that lifetime maintenance/repair/replacement of parts is almost certainly an advantage for well done EVs like Tesla's when compared with ICE vehicles.

Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data

Status
Not open for further replies.