Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
InsideEvs does U.S. only though, so it won’t include Canadian.

Q2 really depends on whether or not Tesla is avoiding 200k.

@Troy is convinced they’ve already hit that, and he has crunched the numbers. Everyone else seems to think they’re waiting for Q3.
I was recently told by a Tesla sales rep that they will notify reservation holders when they hit US 200K. Why wouldn't they?

I was recently told by a Tesla sales rep that they will notify reservation holders when they hit US 200K. Why wouldn't they?
I don't think it's required to tell reservation holders (although it might be good advertising). I think the requirement to tell would only kick in when the credit begins to taper.

But I think you would need to tell investors, as it would be material.

That certainly makes sense, as a selling lever. Ramps up the urgency feeling on the buyer. And in this case, all the doom, gloom and FUD articles that would arise ("Tesla has run out of gubmint free money!") would actually be free advertising to "Get yours NOW!!".

Just to add to the value of a reservation discussion.

Consider the cost of a $20k reservation for a Semi. At 5% interest, this is an interest expense of $2.74 per day.
Consider the benefit of saving 25c/mile in operating cost. At 400 miles per day, this is a savings of $100 per day.

So the value of reducing your time to delivery by one day is over $97. Once the Semi is in production and the per mile savings is confirmed, then reservation will hold enormous value. A 12-month back log at 50k/year seems plausible to me, and this would command some $1B in deposits. Even if a reservation holder waits one year for delivery, that only adds $1k to a $180k purchase and helps avoid waiting another 6 months to a year beyond that which would miss out on $18k to $36k in savings.

Right now, however, there is much uncertainty about how long it will take Tesla to start production, whether the product will truly perform economically, whether better products will be introduced sooner, and even the risk of Tesla bankruptcy. Apparently these risks are enough to hold the value down to about $20M in deposits, but as Tesla makes progress on this product total Semi deposits should grow maybe to as much a $1B.

So I guess if anyone buys this argument, they could make the investment today in a Semi reservation and try to sell when production has begun and total Semi reservations deposits shoot up to $1B. You could scalp it for $18k to $36k above the initial $20k deposited. Of course, this is not advice.

That's a interesting thought experiment...electric cars are dominate and the new kid on the block is ICE.

Any FUD you can think off in that situation?

Pollution. By the time EV's rule the planet, the grid will be mostly based on renewables - already going that way in many parts of the world.

Pollution will become as socially unacceptable as smoking or drink-driving is today.

Pollution. By the time EV's rule the planet, the grid will be mostly based on renewables - already going that way in many parts of the world.

Pollution will become as socially unacceptable as smoking or drink-driving is today.

Let's hope. We need to educate our youth early on about recycling, climate change, pollution, etc., so that it becomes a habit at a young age. I thought I saw it happening when I was teaching Junior Achievement about 15 years ago, but now when I see what some of my young neighbors are throwing away rather than recycling, it makes me wonder. While I love Amazon, the amount of cardboard and packaging they use that just gets tossed concerns me. They have made some changes, especially with their padded plastic envelopes, they need to work out an incentive program for reusing or recycling their cardboard. At least they don't use styrofoam peanuts any more.

So, two weeks ago, when it was sinking, I bought a J19 call option for 1000 when the SP was 283. Now it's 283 again, with two weeks of decay and the option is worth 830. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
The stock has been stagnant lately. It's likely due to lower implied volatility plus the difference in the spread. I wouldn't worry about a J19 at this point personally. What was your forecasted price for the stock at what date when you bought the option?

So, two weeks ago, when it was sinking, I bought a J19 call option for 1000 when the SP was 283. Now it's 283 again, with two weeks of decay and the option is worth 830. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I suggest buying shares of the stock instead. Price risk remains, but none of the losses due to time decay and implied volatility changes while owning options. Retail buyers of options generally lose, often quite heavily. They get scalped by the hedge fund managers and market makers that write (initially sell) the options.

Also wanted to say that this isn't due to time decay, which is pretty minimal for a J19. It's due to reduced volatility.

I suggest buying shares of the stock instead. Price risk remains, but none of the losses due to time decay and implied volatility changes while owning options. Retail buyers of options generally lose, often quite heavily. They get scalped by the hedge fund managers and market makers that write (initially sell) the options.
Or you can consider using spreads so what you lose on the vol/time decay on one side you partially recoup on the other, at the cost of giving up some profit.

If Tesla were to offer free reservations to some, but not others, it would devalue reservations for anyone considering one. If those how came before you were given free reservations, then the line is already longer than it would have been had all reservation holders had to pay. The longer the line is ahead of you, the less value your reservation holds. Moreover, you might be inclined to think that if other people got free reservations, perhaps you deserve a free reservation too. The thing that makes the reservation worth the deposit is that you know that the deposit is required of all other reservation holders..
I agree with that and thence my belief that IF some deposits were waived the fact would not be disclosed.

Just to add to the value of a reservation discussion.

Consider the cost of a $20k reservation for a Semi. At 5% interest, this is an interest expense of $2.74 per day.
Consider the benefit of saving 25c/mile in operating cost. At 400 miles per day, this is a savings of $100 per day.

So the value of reducing your time to delivery by one day is over $97. Once the Semi is in production and the per mile savings is confirmed, then reservation will hold enormous value. A 12-month back log at 50k/year seems plausible to me, and this would command some $1B in deposits. Even if a reservation holder waits one year for delivery, that only adds $1k to a $180k purchase and helps avoid waiting another 6 months to a year beyond that which would miss out on $18k to $36k in savings.

Right now, however, there is much uncertainty about how long it will take Tesla to start production, whether the product will truly perform economically, whether better products will be introduced sooner, and even the risk of Tesla bankruptcy. Apparently these risks are enough to hold the value down to about $20M in deposits, but as Tesla makes progress on this product total Semi deposits should grow maybe to as much a $1B.

So I guess if anyone buys this argument, they could make the investment today in a Semi reservation and try to sell when production has begun and total Semi reservations deposits shoot up to $1B. You could scalp it for $18k to $36k above the initial $20k deposited. Of course, this is not advice.
There is an active CDS market so if you did this on a large enough scale it might be worth looking at whether you could economically hedge the credit risk.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and jhm
Status
Not open for further replies.