Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the absence of news, this surely has to be shorts bailing-out?

Doesn´t seem like that according to our favorite "short analyst":

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 18.41.47.png

All of this gain is occurring a bit earlier than I anticipated... the good news expected has not been announced yet. Not to rain on any parade, I do expect a pull back or some profit taking before the end of the week.
That is definitely a reasonable expectation. However, I think that we are in some serious margin call territory for a lot of the new shorts who got in the past couple of months. Because of how fast the price has shot up in just a bit over 2 weeks (almost $70 up), I'm thinking that the majority of those shorts got in probably in the $270-290 range.

The cascading effect of shorts having to cover, which causes the price to rise, which causes the next tranche of shorts to have to cover, and the price to rise some more, so on and so forth can prolong this run for a bit longer. So, I think it comes down to whether we have more longs leaving to take profit, or more shorts who have to cover. Because of how many weak longs who have been shaken out the past 6-9 months, I'm thinking that the amount of profit taking at this point is not going to be significant.

That being said, I think we may be consolidating between $350-360 for the next week or so.

That is definitely a reasonable expectation. However, I think that we are in some serious margin call territory for a lot of the new shorts who got in the past couple of months. Because of how fast the price has shot up in just a bit over 2 weeks (almost $70 up), I'm thinking that the majority of those shorts got in probably in the $270-290 range.

The cascading effect of shorts having to cover, which causes the price to rise, which causes the next tranche of shorts to have to cover, and the price to rise some more, so on and so forth can prolong this run for a bit longer. So, I think it comes down to whether we have more longs leaving to take profit, or more shorts who have to cover. Because of how many weak longs who have been shaken out the past 6-9 months, I'm thinking that the amount of profit taking at this point is not going to be significant.

That being said, I think we may be consolidating between $350-360 for the next week or so.

And the smart shorts have sold around this range, only to buy back in around 300. This is why I don’t think we’ll see a significant decrease in shares shorted in the next few weeks. Could be wrong tho

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
This is getting pretty interesting at this level. I've still got 20% of my TSLA investment allocated to J20 LEAPs for a longterm hold, but I'm thinking of reducing that to 10% and converting the other 10% to stock. The dilemma is that this may continue to burn up for a few days but when it stops, I think there is a decent chance we don't just consolidate. This has gone so high so fast that I would guess there will be some kind of rubberband effect downwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.