Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good synopsis BDY, that's what I picked up as well. Basically though, they're going to need to get all these bottlenecks straightened out next week in order to actually make ~5K M3's in 7 days by the end of June. Otherwise, if they make >700 cars a day it will just be a 5K/week rate. Not that that is a bad thing mind you.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed...
I think the email is for the shorts to feed on. Keep them in the game to then create a short squeeze. Elon does not want a slow exit.

If this snapshot shows the inside of that new tent, and this is what's supposed to become a new general assembly line, i doubt they can have it up and running in less than 2 weeks.

skabooshka on Twitter

You're too late.

It's been 3 weeks, and the first complete car has rolled off the line. Pic here Elon Musk on Twitter

Many Prius owners say they won't switch to BEVs until BEVs get a Prius like 600 mile range.

Fair enough.

However, a battery with a 300 mile range as opposed to a 600 mile range would offer an advantage in lower price (and space and weight).

So I am convinced the battery research also hopes to increase the possible charging power without excessive battery degradation. If those Prius owners could one day charge a 300 mile BEV in 10 minutes, then I expect them to forgo the upgrade to the 600 mile version.

My recollection is musk said he will not make AWD cars till 5000rate achieved

This makes me think it might be the GA4 line mentioned in the note. It mentions GA3 needing to be improved and GA4 completed, and in the shareholder meeting Elon said that the 3rd line was added to get to 5k/week. GA1, GA2 and the recently built GA3 are building LR versions while GA4 is dedicated to the P. That would make sense as I would not expect the P to be more than 1/4 of all produced Model 3.

Just tweeted by Elon:

Amazing work by Tesla team. Built entire new general assembly line in 3 weeks w minimal resources. Love u guys so much! Pic of 1st Model 3 dual motor performance coming off the line … Elon Musk on Twitter

Fred is quick: First Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance rolls off new assembly line

I am confused what in the US is considered to be a tent. Looking at the picture this is a pretty solid construction. Its light but not to be compared with what we in Europe would call a tent.

Such solid constructions are used in Europe as well and although not solid like brick and mortar are good for production or other purposes. Often they work for many years and I know cases where they just continued with them.

The picture does hide most of the interesting information about this construction. It looks to me more like the QC area though.

Y will be on two continents (per Musk's same continent regionality comment)
China was removing tariffs/ joint ownership requirements on EVs recently, so they might exempt them now.

Now they are doubling tariffs effective July 6. Hopefully resolved before then. Doubling tariffs would hurt bad. On track for 2 billion in second half sales. Long term this would likely impact plant ownership.
Don’t want to cry wolf, this is Trump being Trump, but it’s a risk right now.

China hikes tariffs on US soybeans, electric cars, fish

Now they are doubling tariffs effective July 6. Hopefully resolved before then. Doubling tariffs would hurt bad. On track for 2 billion in second half sales. Long term this would likely impact plant ownership.

In near term, all 3's go to US to max out tax credits. So it hurts S/X buyers in China, but didn't they just mandate EVs for government cars?

Reactions: neroden
@augkuo (who's been doing daily drive-bys to the Fremont staging lot to take pics) captured the "tent" during construction on May 31st. So basically in 17 days it went from still in construction to cranking out AWD cars.

May 31st:
3a9278db-95cb-4597-9a10-0aaa4dbced52-jpeg.305312

June 16th:
Df1slrgVQAATL5c.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, apparently they already built a GA line in a stressed skin sparse frame structure. (Just like SpaceX and the mandrel). And produced a car in 3 weeks.:)
Through this lens, it kinda makes a person wonder how quickly a Chinese "factory" could start producing cars. Quotes for a reason given what's possible in this sort of a structure.

This makes me think it might be the GA4 line mentioned in the note. It mentions GA3 needing to be improved and GA4 completed, and in the shareholder meeting Elon said that the 3rd line was added to get to 5k/week. GA1, GA2 and the recently built GA3 are building LR versions while GA4 is dedicated to the P. That would make sense as I would not expect the P to be more than 1/4 of all produced Model 3.

On the earnings CC, Elon said something about how much better GA3 was compared to GA1 and GA2. Building GA4 in a tent on the parking lot looks like they are going to tear down GA1 and GA2 and rebuild it similar to GA3. It also means that they are really out of space in Fremont. I have previously claimed here that they still must have space given the claims that Fremont could reach 1M cars, but with the tent that seems higly unlikely.

Edit: that was mentioned on the shareholder meeting, not on the earnings cc.

Last edited:
OK so with the celebrity car fire and new leaked email there will be some short term pains starting Monday.
I agree about the email, but not necessarily the car fire - the mainstream news (with the exception of the Independent and Daily Mail in the UK) appears to have completely ignored it. There are no other mainstream news hits on Google News for "Tesla fire" within the last day. Perhaps because the fire wasn't very dramatic compared to those from the crashes and seemingly didn't penetrate the cabin.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden

Not likely anything Trump does to China will have anything like the political impact here of China's responses and counter responses.

Reactions: neroden and wipster
Status
Not open for further replies.