Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, there are two ways to interpret the video:
1) If that's the line, needed to reach 5k/week - we're doomed.
2) If that's the line, adding new capacity, AFTER they reached 5k/week - we're close to paradise.

What is it?

(anyone want to do a poll?)
The only real information from this video is, that the cycle time of the line at this time was above 2:04 minutes.

This means at this state the line can produce no more than 4877 cars/week ;)

To reach 5'000 cars per week they need a cycle time of under 120s @ 24/7 or 69s @ 16/6. (Don't remember their current shift schedule. Is the 3rd shift already active?)

So with 3 GA lines an average cycle time of <6min to <3:30 min is enough to reach the desired production rate.

Now the big question is, why this wasn't a 10min video and who's on his way out there to get us more footage :)

Last edited:
"Needed another general assembly line to reach 5k/week Model 3 production. A new building was impossible, so we built a giant tent in 2 weeks. Tesla team kfa!! Gah, love them so much" Quotation from Elon from Twitter. So this means this "tent" line is what's needed to reach 5k/week?

"They also poured the concrete & built the whole assembly line using scrap we had in warehouses. And it’s way better than the other GA line that cost hundreds of millions!"

Sorry but that seriously smells like bs.
With Elon, you always have to be prepared for humor. This is clearly a joke. For one thing the structure still has parking lines in places.

• Informative
Reactions: MacRocket
Does that mean they have 6 months to complete construction? Because if they poured concrete that sounds rather permanent.
Well, if it's temporary, it just means they have part of the parking lot made out of concrete instead of asphalt. No big deal. Breaking up and removing concrete isn't hard either, but I don't see any point to it unless you want to put a bigger building there that needs proper footings.

Does that mean they have 6 months to complete construction? Because if they poured concrete that sounds rather permanent.
I've done the same thing. Needed level surface for temp swim spa location. So poured a 0"-3 inch slab on the parking lot with a plastic slip sheet. Once I get the barn done, I'll break it up.
This also gets the stuff up off the water level during rains.

There is a thread to discuss the new line, I suggest you use it.
Blog - Musk Says Tesla May Prefer Its Tented Assembly Line

-not ggr

Mod: I love this self-government! --ggr.

UBER-MOD: Please refrain, even in jest, from using either ggr’s or Lord Vetinari’s font colors, unless you are one of those two.
/s/ Vetinari

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it useful to always run things like this through the "what do we really know?" filter. In this case, I don't know what the nature of the sabotage was, how it might harm the 5k goal, or, for that matter, whether there was any actual sabotage at all. Building cars is hard on the good days. Building them at the rate of 5k per week when you've never done that before is even harder. Anything that hinders the company's chances to hit that vital....maybe do-or-die... goal might look like sabotage. When things aren't going the way we would like them to go finding someone else to blame is just a sad part of human nature. Not that there wasn't sabotage. Just I haven't seen the facts, if any.
Robin

So your working theory is that Elon lied about the confession?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.