Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure combo of 5K and China GF announcement is fully baked into current SP. Mostly but maybe not fully.
However, what I don't think may be baked in is Tesla opening up the order flood gates to M3 Dual and Performance variants
to any and all reservation holders. It has only been two or three weeks since the best Q3 and Q4 earning projections were based on assumptions of 5K per week sales of LR Rear Motor at it's projected gross margin. Now preference has redirected to building as many higher margin M3s as possible. A cherry on the sundae might be announcing a really large number of reservation holders ordering these higher margin cars and handing Tesla $2500 apiece. That combo well might push SP to ATH.

The consensus of the Street is that Tesla will miss the 5k goal, again. Even bulls are cautioning that failing to achieve 5k doesn't matter that much after all. Probably 4-4.5k?

The consensus of TMC bulls seems a slight miss to a slight above the 5k target. To TMC bulls, 5k would be a relief, high 5k (5.5k or higher) would be definitely a surprise (other direction would be less than 4.5k).

As to the China GF, not much media activities - since the early June sharehold meeting, there has been only one report with Shanghai factory or China gigafactory in the title - by non other than our lovely Lora Kolodny on cnbc. Another one from usatoday, one short video from bloomberg, none from wsj. Considering how important of overseas expansion, I would say this is extreme low media exposure to the incoming China GF announcement. Probably all FUDed and fixating eyeballs on the phantom bankwupcy?

Mr. market is hard to predict - FUDesters and Chinos & co even make it harder. How retail investors think often does not mean much. The $389 ATH has been much like pump and dump, feuled by irrational exuberance of retail bulls. How insitutional investors think and act is the main driving force behind the SP movement in the med term. In the long run, of course, it's all about how much money a company makes - or rather we're all dead.

Please note the number of variations currently available on the Model 3, not counting software variations or different wheels. If I'm correct, this is it:
(1) Paint color (6)
(2) AWD or not AWD
(3) Performance (always AWD)
(4) White interior (currently only available on Performance)

That's 6 paint colors x 4 configurations = 24 different configurations. Of *course* they're building them before orders are finalized.
Ok. Perhaps I should have done the combinations before commenting. It seems entirely reasonable to produce ahead of time when there is only 24 combinations of selection.

Reactions: neroden
Are you new here? No historical context? It's not enough to read about it if you haven't lived it.
For years now, trusting Elon's estimates was a recipe for disaster.
Having said that, (even) this time I do give him some benefit of the doubt. Probably a wrong move, been burnt so many times, what's one more...
Elon is purposely hyper optimistic on timelines.

However, he is 1 for 1 predicting short squeezes, and there is no reason to disbelieve him on this.

Not sure if this has been posted and I have NO WAY to verify the accuracy: AccurateTrading on Twitter

850 today???

Unless there is any truth in that bottom line about being a production associate, "I think they will make 850 today" is the same as any speculation here. I also think they have done 4 days of 600-650 and will finish with three days over 800.
I'm trying to not be too hopeful.
Alright, I'm already passed out from holding my breath :eek::p

Elon is purposely hyper optimistic on timelines.

However, he is 1 for 1 predicting short squeezes, and there is no reason to disbelieve him on this.
Believing him almost got me bankrupted in 2015/2016, so there is that...
He also told us to not buy shares if volatility scares us. So if next months is horrific, there is no one to blame. Volatility doesn't scare me at all, but if one is leveraged (or trader), one doesn't have luxury of waiting out any and all events, i.e. wrong type of SP movements can be very dangerous.

And if you are not leveraged, why are we even discussing this? We all(almost all) know long-term Tesla wins, so why care about the next month? For anyone below 100% TSLA, who is long-term investor and not trader, there is no point being in this forum... Except to occasionally check if there are fundamentally new developments.

He also told us to not buy shares if volatility scares us. So if next months is horrific, there is no one to blame. Volatility doesn't scare me at all, but if one is leveraged (or trader), one doesn't have luxury of waiting out any and all events, i.e. wrong type of SP movements can be very dangerous.

And if you are not leveraged, why are we even discussing this? We all(almost all) know long-term Tesla wins, so why care about the next month? For anyone below 100% TSLA, who is long-term investor and not trader, there is no point being in this forum... Except to occasionally check if there are fundamentally new developments.

Because it's so fun!

You obviously don't know what addiction is like!

I believe it is prudent to plan ahead what to do if a short squeeze occurs. My preference would be a slow rise, because I would not be tempted to sell.

If a violent upsurge occurs (maybe over $500/share?), it would be prudent, in my situation, to sell some shares.

I’m trying to plan out ahead of time what percentage of my portfolio I would sell at various prices.

If the squeeze is not caused by a fundamental long term change in the value, $500 seems like a good ballpark. If Elon is sitting on some major disruptive advancement in tech that fundamentally changes the fair current value of the company then that number would change.

In no way am I relying on the squeeze. I am merely somewhat more invested than I would be otherwise.

I would almost regret a violent squeeze because it would seduce me out of some of my shares!

I believe it is prudent to plan ahead what to do if a short squeeze occurs. My preference would be a slow rise, because I would not be tempted to sell.

If a violent upsurge occurs (maybe over $500/share?), it would be prudent, in my situation, to sell some shares.

I’m trying to plan out ahead of time what percentage of my portfolio I would sell at various prices.

If the squeeze is not caused by a fundamental long term change in the value, $500 seems like a good ballpark. If Elon is sitting on some major disruptive advancement in tech that fundamentally changes the fair current value of the company then that number would change.

In no way am I relying on the squeeze. I am merely somewhat more invested than I would be otherwise.

I would almost regret a violent squeeze because it would seduce me out of some of my shares!

Sell on the squeeze, re-buy when it settles back down to a more realistic valuation.

Reactions: saniflash and kbM3

It depends. Usually it's very hard to predict the amplitude of a short squeeze beforehand.

It's very irrational. Wouldn't be surprised if we get close to 1000+ .

While at the same time we might not even have a short squeeze right now, and " just" have a 2017 like stock surge to 450 or so.

Reactions: Yuri_G and kbM3
Agree on the 5k...but not the Chinese GF. I am not sure we will hear about a Chinese GF but it will have a positive effect on the current SP.

I think news of a Chinese GF could potentially lower the SP. I think the market will be wary of any big capital expenditures at this point - especially as Tesla is dealing with the expansion of GF in Nevada, increasing production in Fremont and the construction of the SolarCity plant in Buffalo

Last edited:
It depends. Usually it's very hard to predict the amplitude of a short squeeze beforehand.

It's very irrational. Wouldn't be surprised if we get close to 1000+ .

While at the same time we might not even have a short squeeze right now, and " just" have a 2017 like stock surge to 450 or so.[/QUOTE

If it gets to 1000, I am going to have a few pair of Bermudas altered.

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog and wipster
I think news of a Chinese GF could potentially lower the SP. I think the market will be wary of any big capital expenditures at this point - especially as Tesla is dealing with the expansion of GF in Nevada, increasing production in Fremont and the construction of the SolarCity plant in Buffalo

What if Chinese GF news includes financing from a partner like Tencent?

Status
Not open for further replies.