Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also a big wide open space in the west of the United States where people used to put homes... Deer and Antelope used to hang out there too.

And per Google the range of the I-Pace is 240 miles. I have serious doubts that it does over the air upgrades.

They have not reported EPA range numbers, last I heard, but expect somewhere between 240 and 260. Jaguar has committed to OTA upgrades - among the first OTA updates will be the implementation of Android Auto and Apple Carplay, in a month or two.

Shorts have been killing us longs for over a year now. That's how long TSLA has been trading sideways with wild peaks and valleys. The only people making money are the swing traders and they have made a mint. Meanwhile the longs (and shorts) are wondering when the wild ride will end.
Before last year you describe and preceeding 6 months of relentless gains, stock has been doin the same thing for 3 years. I.E. nothing.
I know as I joined after one year, thinking break-out will be any moment now, and ended up waiting for 2 years.
Just saying...
But on the other hand, AMZN has been doing almost nothing btw. 2011-2015, just to complete 6x run since. (And to think I was so happy and proud of myself to capture first 40% gain :)) Similarly for NFLX.
It comes with the territory of investing into miss-understood stock, which seems to be always the case when new business paradigm is introduced.

Before last year you describe and preceeding 6 months of relentless gains, stock has been doin the same thing for 3 years. I.E. nothing.
I know as I joined after one year, thinking break-out will be any moment now, and ended up waiting for 2 years.
Just saying...
But on the other hand, AMZN has been doing almost nothing btw. 2011-2015, just to complete 6x run since. (And to think I was so happy and proud of myself to capture first 40% gain :)) Similarly for NFLX.
It comes with the territory of investing into miss-understood stock, which seems to be always the case when new business paradigm is introduced.

It actually may be all stocks. I read a study -- I think it used an index, or maybe it looked at a bunch of different stocks -- which said that the vast majority of gains from investing over 5 years were actually realized in three specific months or fewer, and that the stock stagnated the rest of the time. Wish I could find the link. Anyway, this may be normal for nearly all long-term investing.

They have not reported EPA range numbers, last I heard, but expect somewhere between 240 and 260. Jaguar has committed to OTA upgrades - among the first OTA updates will be the implementation of Android Auto and Apple Carplay, in a month or two.

I'll believe it when I see it. Frankly, with skryll's comparison to the P3D and the many, many advantages that Tesla brings to the equation, there is no way I would consider an I-Pace, regardless of the fact it's a Jag.

To each his own though...

Reactions: sundaymorning
802061A1-417E-470D-91E8-7054094CEF25.png

Trading in Asia is positive right now, the Nekkei is up 300 points (over 1%) while trading in Shanghai is also up 1%.

US futures also look good, seems like buyers are back, even after all the trade rhetoric from IS and China.

Attachments

• 06A7996A-6A64-4789-A00D-5028524D17B0.png
    06A7996A-6A64-4789-A00D-5028524D17B0.png
    669 KB · Views: 39
  • Informative
Reactions: bdy0627
I'll believe it when I see it. Frankly, with skryll's comparison to the P3D and the many, many advantages that Tesla brings to the equation, there is no way I would consider an I-Pace, regardless of the fact it's a Jag.

As a Tesla shareholder, this makes me happy. As a consumer, it makes me sad. We need at least some competition.

Thanks for the pix and comments. I have a Model 3 on order, but it's been delayed so long I am considering switching to the Jaguar.

I'm interested in your impression about the interior size. Externally, we know it's nearly identical in footprint to the Tesla Model 3, though somewhat taller than the 3. I'd expect the interior therefore to be also similar to Model 3, though more cluttered as you say than the 3's more open interior design. Do you feel it's smaller than a Model 3 inside? Or same size with some of the open space used up by consoles and storage and such?

Back on topic after this...

Difficult to be objective about the comparison as I've only briefly been inside a Model 3, I think you could be correct that it has more head-room (it has a glass roof too), but I got the impression that there wasn't a lot of rear leg-room.

It was my feeling, and I told the Jag sales-guy, that it wasn't really a family car - one kid you'd be OK, two could be tight, three, no-way. More of fancy EV for couples.

I also told them that I didn't think they'd go anywhere without a charging network and that they should partner with Tesla.

But the screens are so small! And the frunk is just big enough for a birds nest!
This will get a lot of ‘mine is bigger than yours’ remarks.

The screens a re small, but seamlessly integrated in the dash, which looks nice. I don't know if they're touch-sensitive, or not, the UI didn't appear to be active. The plethora of knobs, though, indicates that they're not.

And the frunk is really, really, small. You might just squeeze one bag of groceries into it, but I think it's only really useful for charging cables - in fact the only logical place to put your cables as there's only a very small space under the main trunk space.

Astonishing, really, how Teslas have so much cargo-space by comparison...

E8DBCB57-E929-44E5-9E9D-8181415C781B.png

The Jaq is an EV, I doubt it’ll come close to having the same innovation as the Tesla. You won’t see a Jag in US pop culture like the photo above. We’re seeing Tesla’s in movies as well as music videos by well known artists. Lyrically it’s been a blessing to have pop culture on our side as well, take for example the latest hip hop lyric:

She gotta ride better than a Tesla.”

Says it all. “She gotta ride better than a Jag?”

Sounds weird, doesn’t make sense... not even close. This is why kids these days grow up dreaming about owning a Tesla.

We all know about the silly wallet sized frunk, but is there really no more trunk space below what is shown? Model 3 would look similar but then has a big cave you can see when you pull up the lid for more luggage.

No, there was a small space under the floor of the trunk, but only enough for a briefcase as far as I could see.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
Shorts have been killing us longs for over a year now. That's how long TSLA has been trading sideways with wild peaks and valleys. The only people making money are the swing traders and they have made a mint. Meanwhile the longs (and shorts) are wondering when the wild ride will end.

Disagree that's longs are being killed. Definition of longs is that we buy and hold, the last year has provided great buying opportunities and we're not selling, so all is good! If anything, we're slowly, but surely, reducing the number of shares available to short.

Disagree that's longs are being killed. Definition of longs is that we buy and hold, the last year has provided great buying opportunities and we're not selling, so all is good! If anything, we're slowly, but surely, reducing the number of shares available to short.

According to Cramer and CNBC, shorts are being “bulldozed.”

Asked what is it going to take to bring Tesla down when there’s a cult of followers who won’t sell? Cramer’s answer was “there you go, you just answered it.”

Shorts aren’t going to win, their large numbers could be detrimental to themselves when positive sentiments return.

Investors betting against Tesla are getting killed but not for the reason you may think: Cramer

Asked what is it going to take to bring Tesla down when there’s a cult of followers who won’t sell? Cramer’s answer was “there you go, you just answered it.”

Shorts aren’t going to win, their large numbers could be detrimental to themselves when positive sentiments return.

Investors betting against Tesla are getting killed but not for the reason you may think: Cramer

“The longs are unshakable”.

Very concise and very true.

Reactions: Lhan

Raise your hand if you've driven down the street and you stop at a stop light, stop sign, or pause to turn right and you've had kids on the curb yell "TESLA!" as you pass by them.

I've had it happen multiple times.

I don't know really know what this means. Maybe one of you guys can help me out here.

I know we're heading to the edge of being OT, but as a one-time physicist, it's funny that you should conjecture about a connection between the second law and GR. The second law in its current formulation doesn't really have anything to do with GR, AFAIK. However, data-starved theorists can't sit around and do nothing, hence the exploration of entropic gravity, which sounds kinda cool. Regrettably, doesn't actually seem to apply to the universe we happen to be in.

Trying not to push off the cliff into OT I tried to ad a pm to you through a conversation with lessmog but that is forbidden. The point I made is probably due to my confusion about what a cause is. (Fortunately I haven't time to brush up on something I read where Aristotle goes through at least four different meanings or uses of the word "cause." That might clarify my error.) The little I remember of an explanation of the general theory is that mass creates a space where another mass interacts with it like to balls in a rubber sheet stretched out initially flat. If you imagine the Earth and the Moon, each stretches space locally and the resultant motion of rotation is a balance which looks initially like the moon is "falling" to the Earth. That looks like, eventually, the Moon will fall into the Earth. Gravity sucks as the system wants to sink into a ground state, or some such physical term I'm incompetent to use not being a physicist. What I said in the original post might have been better phrased as "the effect of gravity is a consequence of the second law."

The idea can be tested. Won't the Moon eventually fall into the Earth? Barring, of course, passing through a field of dark energy or some such fudge factor. Not to troll dark matter or dark energy enthusiasts. That would attract dishonorable mention by the mods as OT.:rolleyes:

God I love playing with you guys. But then maybe I'm just from another universe and don't know it. Are you? How could you tell? Surely the shorts sometimes are on this thread. And they create more entropy, useless waste. There. Back on topic.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Raise your hand if you've driven down the street and you stop at a stop light, stop sign, or pause to turn right and you've had kids on the curb yell "TESLA!" as you pass by them.

I've had it happen multiple times.

I don't know really know what this means. Maybe one of you guys can help me out here.

I’ll try. They’re excited to see the car, the iPhone of cars. It’s like a kid player basketball taking a shot and saying “Jordan/Kobe.” Only the GOAT (greatest of all time) will get these sorts of reaction or emulation from kids.

Any OTA updates? What is range?

I have serious doubts that it does over the air upgrades.

OTA-Updates: Partially

The 2019 I-PACE will be the first of the automaker’s cars to support over-the-air (OTA) software updates, removing the need to take the electric SUV into the dealership to upgrade its systems. According to Jaguar, it’ll be able to remotely update the I-PACE’s infotainment, telematics, and battery charging capabilities.
2019 Jaguar I-PACE: 5 big tech details to know

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
Status
Not open for further replies.